DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there, I've just done my two first custom painting jobs. I painted a Revell NSX (after transforming it into an NSX-R) in white and a Hotwheels Modena in metallic black.

Appart from some minor issues, like some orange peeling on the black car, I've made a terrible mistake: I let Nail Polish Remover fall into the rear engine cover and now it looks like in the fotos. My heart is broken, because I was dreaming for days about seeing the red-head engine through the rear window in the middle of an ocean of black... And now I can't and I can't find a wait out too. Please give me your advices on how to solve this without buying another car.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
The good news is that it appears that the NPR didn't distort the contours of the rear window. The bad news is I can't tell just how deep the marring is.

You need to get some real fine sandpaper, some of the hobby and model shops have sandpaper kits from Testors that have various grits from "just barely" to "almost nothing". There will be about four to five grades between them. Starting with the most gritty, sand uniformly across the entire surface, using water as a medium. Apply pressure uniformly and in circular motions. Once you have gotten down to a uniform surface, then start reducing the grits until you are down to the one that is more like a polishing sheet than a sandpaper. By this time, you should be back to a reasonable clearness.

From here, I use BlueMagic Plastic & Plexiglass Cleaner and Light Scratch Remover. Follow the directions. This is what we used to use on the plexiglass windshields and rear windows of our race cars, and if used appropriately, you should be back to a clear window eventually. Don't rush it, and take your time. Again, apply pressure uniformly and in circular motions, don't rub in one direction too long (really, not at all).

Remember, this is fragile, thin plastic, and application of too much pressure can (and likely will) cause it to crack or craze (deep, inbedded cracks that cannot be removed, no matter what).

Good job on your custom, it really looks good.

Good Luck on clearing the rear window, take your time, be patient, and use the right materials.

:cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:moved

If you get some high grit sand paper and do some wetsanding, that will eliminate the orange peel.

Otherwise they look pretty good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may have found a solution: I know someone who is selling a damaged Bburago 360 Modena for parts. But my question is: are the rear windows compatible between the Bburago and Hotwheels? I believe they have the same mold, so it should be compatible, but I can me mistaked. Does anyone know anything about this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, they are two entirely different molds.

I may have the spare parts your needing, allow me to look in my parts bin and I will let you know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.