DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Choice.
Its a great thing, and in diecast collecting its a real luxury.
Especially for us vintage racing car collectors. Sure, if you want a late model BMW or a Porsche 911 you can get any flavor you like but to get something like a GS Vette from a high end and a budget manfacturer it is a real blessing.

The Cars
The GS program was a fantastic stab at Ford from Chevrolet yet the threat was hardly backed up. Just about when they got to the point where it looked like they had a challenger for the Cobra, GM did what they do best and pulled the plug.
By the time the cars were turned into roadsters, they were hoplessly outclassed.
Roger Penske (chassis #001) and, George Wintersteen (chassis #002) tried to give the old brute one more chance to play by installing the new 427 CID Big Block engines for 1966.
Things didn't work out as the cars had been passed by and were over the hill.

The Models
Exoto have been making various GS Vettes for a number of years. It is one of their first moulds and while still a nice diecast, it does not come close to the standards now set by them.
Plus, the price has risen over the years to a rediculous level of $189 which is at least twice what they should be if not more than twice.

Budget maker Yat Ming has been making lots of noise with their improving lineup of cars. Delivering lots of bang for the bucks, they have a series of hits and near misses in their stable of releases over the last few years.
They turned their attention on offering a budget priced (I paid $18.74) GS Vette.

Lets see how they did against the Exoto...

They both look like what they are supposed to, A Grand Sport Corvette.
Yat Ming Makes a Penske (#10) look-alike but I didn't want to get it as the car has quite a few errors including the wrong winshield and front spoiler. Plus, since I already had the Exoto version, I chose to get the Wintersteen Roadster.(#12)

Added to DX Model Review Database v2.0

Attachments

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fit and finnish on the Exoto is of course, much better but the level of quality is surprising on the Yat Ming. Remeber, the YM cost is 9 TIMES LESS than the Exoto!!
Some of the race day markings (including some sponsors and the drivers name) are missing from the YM in an obvious effort to save monet but what is there, is done well (tampo).

The wheelse casting is pretty decent compared to the Exoto but it is partially ruined by being all chrome.
In addition, the Wintersteen car shoud be equipped with American Racing style mags instead of the factory knock offs.

The sidepipes should also be painted blue and should be tucked under the body more than they are.
The Exoto Penske car should have the sidepipes tucked under the body more as well,

Attachments

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The interior really shows a recurring theme.
The Yat Ming has plenty of the same details as the Exoto moulded in but it is not highlighted with paint.
The carpet is not present and the quality of the materials uded is a tick or 2 below the Exoto but is still makes a good showing.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engines,
There was quite a bit of controversey about the Exoto as the car was supposed to have the Big Block 427 and it came with the small block 377 in it, To make matters worse, Exoto tried to insult the intelligence of its customers by arguing that the car was correct. It was not.
Sadly YM also makes the same mistake

Both engine compartments are done fairly well, agin the Exoto does not look to be 9 times better but is without a doubt quite a bit ahead.
This is another case that clearly shows that the YM could use some basic detailing with a paint frush/paint marker to look much better with very little effort.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The chassis continues the story, YM is good, Exoto is better.
Just not 9 times better.
Same with the trunk and spare tire.
Some time spent detailing the YM will yield some big results

Attachments

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Conclusion
I would say it depends on what you are looking for. If you want the best GS Vette and are willing to pay the exagerated price of the Exoto then there is no question. Plus, these cars can be picked up at pretty good savings from the retail price.
If you simply want a good looking model of the GS and you are willing to spend 30 minutes of your time with a paint marker and you want to save a ton of money, then the Yat Ming is for you.
While I really enjoy the Exoto and I am in no way saying that the YM is a close match, for me it is a good subsitute and will not be buying anymore Exoto versions.
My only hope is that YM will follow up with a coupe version.

Here is another Roadster from YM parked with the Exoto.

Attachments

G

·
Excellent comparo review Jeff :nicejob

Another car that just goes to show you dont need to spend big money to have decent quality on your shelf . YM should be commended for giving us so much detail for what is really , pocket money prices .

I for one am very pleased to have bought the Roadster and cant wait to get my hands on it . Love the colour :cheers

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
:iagree Excellent comparison :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob

I will definitely take another look at these YM GS's. I didn't know they had this much detail! And like you said, all that's really needed is a bit of paint and some flocking.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Great review Jeff! :cheers These are models that I am going to have a hard time not picking up all if them.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I just have to decide if I'm getting the blue Penske car (and then try to get the needed decals) or the this white one.
GREAT write-up, Jeff! :nicejob

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Luc, I would avoid the Penske car as there are to many issues, it is very inaccurate beyond the missing decals, things that cannot be fixed :pullhair

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Great comparison, Jeff! One thing I've been wondering...I'm too lazy to do the research, but since these were purpose built race cars, would they have even been carpeted?

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know just what you are thinking John as i have always questoned this as well but from the pictures I have seen, it was indeed carpeted.
Why? who knows unless they were trying to pass it off to whoever might see it being developed inside GM as a production prototype :confused :confused

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Ok, thanks Jeff!

G

·
Thanks for the review as well as the comparo.

While looking at the pics, the carpet is one thing that jumped out at me, couldn't decide if it was accurate or not.

I was reading about Fords run at GM and the Corvette during the late 60's with Mr Shelby at the wheel. There is an enormous amount of history from this era that makes these cars desirable on those merits alone.

G

·
Thanks for sharing Jeff.

Sure the YM's are surprisingly nice overall, but i'll take the Exoto versions any day. That's MHO. For someone not willing to cough up 90-140 USD's for the Exoto versions, then sure - these are a great choice. Just not mine.

Kudos to YM though - very nice to see that more and more model car companies, are figuring out that attention to detail doesn't always have to cost alot of money.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
For the money YM have done a good job, and yes the real ones have carpet in but when you lift it you can almost see through it. As for the exhust siting to far from the body I thouht this but when one showed up at Goodwood they do sit a distance from the sills some thing to do with the heat, as for the engine I'd have thouht that to produce one large block Mystery Motor would have added to the price as it was not used in any other Grand Sport. :coolpics

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.