DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having this discussion with some diecast friends, after I told them my disappointment with AutoArt's new Lexus GS430 because it feels like a near plastic model to me. So the discussion prompted the question that I thought I might pose to my fellow diecast xers here: Do you equate the heaviness of a model with better detail and better construction?

My thoughts: I'm actually torn by this, because although the AUTOart Lexus is light as heck, the detail is pretty good. But generally, I have to say, yes, the heavier the 1/18 model I own, the more details it seem to possess, and the quality of the workmanship seems to be higher. I notice especially in the China Dealer models, Classic Carlectables and (recently) the RC2-Ertl Authentics (you must see the '85 Monte Carlo). Now, Mininchamps models are pretty heavy, but sometime the quality is lacking(especially due to those awful attachment stubs they can't seem to get rid of).

Just for fun, I'm going to list my top five HEAVY hitters (number 1 being the heaviest model I own) and where it rank in detail and quality (10 being the best detail and 1 being the worst). I'm curious to know yours?? :

1. Minichamps Bentley Arnage (gundam, yes, I weighted it and it's heavier than the Buick Royaum--lol) Detail & quality = 9+

2. China Dealer Buick Regal Detail & Quailty = 8

3. China Dealer Buick Royaum Detail & Quality = 9

4. GMP 2005 GTO Detail & Quality = 9

5. Minichamps Bentley GT Detail & Quality = 8+

(note: I left trucks and suvs off the list intentionally, but you don't have to). Looking forward your input.

Regards,

EricP

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Heavy models, in my opinion, don't necessary stand for detailedness. However, I do believe a heavier model gives the IMPRESSION it's better built. E.g. one of the heaviest model I own is also pretty crappy in terms of details, and ERTL's are usually rock heavy...

But when models get too light, it scares me a bit when I handle it, as I usually associate lightness = lots of plastics.

BTW, Eric, how much does the Arnage and the Royaum weigh?

1) Prado (crap version) quality = 5
2) LC quality = 9
3) Prado SE quality = 8.5
4) some American Muscle ERTLs I own quality = 5
5) Crown, Corolla quality = 9

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Well I don't really care how heavy a model is. I'm more interested in the details and the car itself :giggle
Some of my heaviest cars aren't my most detailed. Cars like my Kyosho Toyota Supra, Ertl Dodge Charger Daytona, and quite a few Maistos. Although I do have a few detailed models that are pretty heavy like my AUTOart Benz 190E Evo II, Kyosho Lambo Countach LP500, and Ferrari 308 GTB QV. As long as the basic body of a model is metal I don't care how much plastic is used. As long as it is detailed. :cheers

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I think there is a correlation between weight and quality/detail, but there is not an automatic connection. The Motormax 7er I had was absolute garbage but weighed a good sum.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
i have to weigh the royarum again @ gundam..but the arnage is over 4 pounds (got to weigh it again to give you exact weight).. i didn't even realize how heavy the arnage was compared to the others until i tried to pick both (royaum and arnage) up at the same time.

eric

G

·
Heavier doesn't neccessarily mean better.

If you notice, older models tend be more heavier than newer models. This is due to various reasons which include the production process. Models produced today are produced with lighter and usually better materials. The construction of the models materials produces a light weight model in comparison to older models.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
When the AUTOart racing Skylines came out, many commented on how heavy and substantial they felt. Turns out AUTOart put a weight inside the model to augment its 'heft'. The models are nicely detailed apart from being sealed, but AUTOart obviously felt that additional weight was somehow necessary... :giggle

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think we just got used to the idea that Diecast cars must weigh a ton. Actually, if you think about it, if a diecast car was made to be in scale of a real fender, roof, trunklid, etc, it would be very light and also kind of fragile. The actual body of a diecast car must be made thick to retain shape and rigidity, but if made in 1/1 it would probably weigh 4 tons! :lol The heaviest car I have is the GMP 427 Fairlane(which I should put up on blocks so I don't get flat spots on the tires), and then the authentics 67 Impala. Heavier does not mean better.
...Lance

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
I would submit a comparison between the Action and AutoArt Corvette C5R's. The Action has a diecast body and chassis, whereas the AutoArt is the more traditional diecast body and plastic chassis. Inspite of its weight advantage, the Action model is inferior to the AutoArt, especially when it comes to panel fit.

I do not see any correlation between weight and quality.

:cheers

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys for giving me some great info to ponder. i guess it's just a coincidence that all my most detailed models just happen to be my heaviest models? i have to revisit my theory (lol).

regards,

EricP

·
Mr. Sandman
327 Posts
GMP's muscle cars are about the heaviest models I have. They feel nice and sturdy, I really don't mind whether models are light or heavy, although the heaviest model I think I have had in my collection has been Minichamps' 1:18 M3 GTR. That bad boy was heavy!

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
To put things in perspective, a 1/18 should weigh 222lbs if the 1:1 weighs 4,000lbs to be scale correct! :lol

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Weight of an object is certainly related to its percieved quality of many products. We've been programed to think so through out the years.

Many times, I do feel models have higher quality if it weighs more, but I should know better since I've seen many light plastic kit models with unbelievable amount of details. In most cases, weight=quality details, but there are exceptions.

Personally, I'm starting to like lighter models because I can put them on display without worrying about ripping the wall off. :giggle

G

·
After reading these posts, I got curious, grabbed my kitchen scale and weighed two similar models: Exoto's GT40 Mk.II and Jouef's GT40.
The Exoto showed 719 grams, against Jouef's hefty 853 grams. Well, we all know which one is more detailed, don't we?
No, weight has nothing to do with detail, in my humble opinion.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.