DiecastXchange Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
In reality, the lighter car could be considered the better produced one.
Using thinner but stronger castings is much more lifelike than the overly thick bodies that we usually get.

I know that a lot of ther "lightness" in some cars is due to the excessive use of plastic, it is still almost impossible to determine quality based only on how heavy a car is.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
:iagree I don't really think the weight of a model has to do with quality. Even if the manufacturer uses plastic for exterior parts, as long as they execute well its fine with me :cheers

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
thanks LUW...

Well, the Bentley Arnage makes sense to me, at least, to be so darn heavy because if I'm not mistaken, the actual car is not on the light spectrum of 4-door saloons. i think if the Arnage was lighter, it would greatly take away from the illusion that someone took a ray gun and shrunk the real Arnage to 1/18 scale :lol . Hey what can I say, we are in a hobby where fantasy is kind of important too (lol). Don't take away my ray gun!... Thanks again guys. Interesting perspectives.

EricP

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
4 lbs?! Wow! :help

That beats all of my models... Can't wait to get that Arnage T btw...

Anyone have the Conti GT and measured the weight?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Gundam, I have the Conti GT and it is heavy too, but not as heavy as the Arnage. The GT is somewhere in weight between the Royaum and the Land Cruiser (oh, by the way, Land Cruiser is heavier than the Royaum, but not heavier than the China Dealer Regal oddly enough. But the Royaum's details are much better than on the Regal). I have to good those weights for you and length. The GT is about as long as the Kyosho M5. Best I can do for you right now.

Regards,

EricP

·
Registered
33 Posts
Actually this is not correct. 1:18 scale does not translate to 1:18 the size (3 dimensions) and weight. You have to remember that the 1:18 is a linear dimensional statement. To make this easier to explain, take the scale car as the reference. The real car is 18 times longer, 18 times wider, and 18 times taller, when looked at 3 dimensionally. Therefore, in terms of volume, a real is actually 18x18x18=5832 times larger.

Would 18 HotWheels Ferrari 288GTOs fill the same space as the real car?

Using the same example, a 1:18 model of a 4000lb car (4000/5832) should weigh about .69lbs or 310gms. However, if it was proportionally scaled down, it would be far too fragile to stay together, much less be handled, hence the 2-3 lb weight of most diecasts.

On the subject of quality, it's the "subtantial" feel that gives a sense of quality. There is a natural association between weight and substance, but it's not the only one. Tight tolerances in moving parts is another. Most 1:1 manufacturers are trying to achieve a "substantial" feel without a lot of weight. Therefore, no, weight is not a good measure of "quality".

Cheers,
DYW

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.