DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Report

Three weeks ago, the apple-daily send two journalists to my place.They didn't have any idea on model cars. I spent a lot of time teaching them. Thanks god, there is no mistake on this report. I'd like to share this thrill with you! Sorry for English user, the report is Chinese only!

Also, please take a moment to visit my colleciton site. Thanks.
My Website

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
That's very nice CELSIOR, but it would help a bit if you would translate some of it or give us the synopsis of this article.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats Celsior :nicejob

I couldn't read the report, dont know that language. Can you do a little summary on what it is?

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
I'll try a translation:

The little blurb in the box in the top:
Diecast cars became popular AFTER the Industry Boom, and people who like to drive their cars, cannot understand the allure of diecast.

In reality, diecast collectors use their imagination, and "drive" their diecasts, even through History.

*end of little blurb*

(Celsior's chinese name is listed, but I don't wanna mangle it, so I'll refer to him as Celsior)

Celsior, 21, is a student at U of Taiwan's 4th year Law student. He has already collected diecasts for 6 years, that's around 1/4 of his current lifetime. From grade 7, he started falling in love with diecasts, and only started because of the love of the 1:1's. Celsior: "I started liking the 1:1's, but I was too young, couldn't drive and afford them. So spent my allowance on affordable model cars."
After 6 years, he has spent a total amount of 65 thousand dollars on diecasts, enough to buy a REAL car. However, Celsior doesn't feel any "want" for 1:1's, but cannot stop himself from his diecast hobby.

PART OF THE DIECASTS APPRECIATE ONE FOLD;
"Buying a real car involves too many things to worry about, afraid of dents, accidents, no parking spots, but diecasts don't present these kinds of problems."
The only problem is that the family complains about the hobby "wasting" money. In actuality, some of the models that Celsior has collected from the start of his 6 year diecast collecting, are worth 10-20% more than when they were purchased, some of them even up to 100%. "But, lots of the diecasts are sentimental to me, so no way I'd sell them."
Celsior is representative of new-age diecast collectors, he likes to collect diecasts which he can see on the road, or winning race cars. Cars like Toyota, Nissan, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. are their targets. The younger generation of collectors like to use the internet to share their diecast collecting experiences with others all around world, even taken photoshoots of their favourite models.
However, the older generation of collectors (Stevie, that's you! :p), those who have collected for 20-30 years, collect diecast from a "historical observation" standpoint. Mr. Kwok from the Taiwan Model Car Association suggests that the point of collecting diecasts is not only for looking at the beautiful exterior o interiors, but to understand the 100+ years of automobile history.
Mr. Kwok has already collected diecasts for 40 years, and has over 10K models (yes, that's not a typo... 10,000!). He reminisces taht back in '52, '53, only bicycles were on the roads, very few bikes (not sure about this, what's "machine car"?) and no automobiles, and especially no diecast models. Only at "dealerships" could one find palm-sized diecasts back then. Back then his monthly salary was $1300, which was very good for the time. But a palm-size model costs $100-200, very expensive.
Today, the prices of the diecast are "reasonable", yet there are no apparent increases in the # of collectors.

START A THEME TO COLLECT;
He states, that diecast collecting and the boom/fall of the local car industry are very closely related. Taiwan has their own brand of cars, but mostly are cars which were built with Japanese brand partnership, most of the designs are not made in Taiwan, so there is no way to heat up the collecting scene. However, cars are many a young mans' dream, so there are many like Celsior, who join the ranks of diecast collectors.
Mrs. Poon (did I get last name right?) from Diecast Collector, a famous Taipei diecast store, says that for newcomers, it is not wise to start with high priced models. He should start with a theme. An example: "if one likes Schumacher, you can start from the cars he started racing with, and from the designs of the models, you can tell racing for him in the beginning was very hard."
She stresses that models which were significant in history are worth a lot more.

The rest of the article contains a small summary of Celsior, some tips for newcomers, and some diecast model descriptions.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Congrats, there are very nice pictures of models there, and who are you the young or the old person, i guess you are the young :happy

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Pretty neat!
Congrats :cheers

And thanks to Richey for the translation :nicejob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats Celsior :cheers

Thanks for the translation Gaz , it was all chinese to me :lol

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Congrats Celsior....65,000 $ on diecasts ?!...wow :help

Thanks Gary for the translation.... :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a lot for the translation Gary :cheers

65,000 is quite an extraordinary number, is it in US dollars though?

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Translation has been completed, check the edited post.

No prob guys, it was a pleasure doing the translation. I hope Celsior is the young guy the article is talking about :giggle

65000 isn't really too much. Off the top of my head, 1680 Taiwan dollars = 50.xxUSD. You do the conversions, I'm too tired :giggle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, boy! Gandam40, you really did a superb job on translation!! Many thanks to you. Thanks everyones admiration, too.

This is one thing that I want to clarify that the report said I spend over 650000NT. 1NT is about 33US. So that is about 2k US. But this newspaper is so sansational that they exaggereted. No so that much.

If have any other question on this report. I am glad to translate it.

Again, thanks to gandam40! :nicejob

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
No prob Celsior, it was my pleasure :cheers

That Skyline NUR... Mmmmmmmmmm :tongue

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Celsior,
Let me pass on my congratulations to you . You must be pretty chuffed to have a newspaper report your collection!
You should send them on to Dr Jeff and Sir Gary....

BTW, is that really an AutoArt Nur-spec R34 GT-R I see? If so, I have just fainted... :hot I would give body parts for one of these....

Congratulations again on your piece of fame!

Anders

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.