DiecastXchange Forum banner

Hello from GreenLight

109K views 761 replies 100 participants last post by  Ondr4H 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to drop a quick hello and say sorry to the Diecast Xchange for not getting more information out on our products lately. We've been a little short handed in our marketing areas but we think we are shoring that up properly. If anyone has any questions, comments or suggestions please let me know.

thanks,

- Matt
http://greenlighttoys.com/
https://www.facebook.com/GreenLight.LLC

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome Matt!
Glad to see you here!
One of the questions that I have is if any of your 1/18s will be available at Toys-R-Us this Christmas season? I know that I can order or buy from eBay, but I still like "chase" after the models if I can.
Can you speak of the rumor that Tom Van Der Scheun purchased Greenlight?
Any ETA and MSRP on the Steve McQueen figure and the '80s Camaros?
Any plans in updating the '10 Mustang to the newer models with the 5.0 Coyote motor? Or the Shelbys for that matter.
Also, any other 1/18 sneak-peeks would be wonderful!
And lastly, you guys should consider doing a 1/18 66-77 Bronco and a 1/18 Farrah Fawcett posed just like the picture in your online brochure.
I am sure you will get a bunch of Supernatural Impala questions, but I will lets those that want them ask about it.

#3 ·
Hello Acisne,

Can I call you AC for short?
Toys R Us won't be carrying any 1/18th GreenLight for the holiday season which is too bad because we've got some great stuff that's come out recently. But for the time being, stick with your local hobby shop or favorite online dealer for our 1:18th scale. We don't have exact timelines on some items like McQueen or the late 70's/early 80's Camaro as much licensing and development is still in process but look for mid to late 2014. Updating the current Mustang or Shelby, hmmm, those are good suggestions. We have definitely discussed this but are still working out details on yes or no internally. A '66-77 Bronco in 1:18...that has been suggested before. I love these personally and we are going through all of our lists in the next month or so. At the moment it isn't going but I can't say it won't be either at some point. A 1:18th figure of Ms. Fawcett, now that's a good idea. Don't worry, we will have something to show you on this very very soon.

Ok, back to work so I can make all of this happen now right?!

- Matt

#4 ·
Hello and thanks for visiting us here, it is awesome that a company actually has a preasence here.

I have a dream list of models that are not YET available in 1/18, as I am a bit of a musclecar nut, you guys could definately help. I have every mold that your company has put out (86 Vette, GTA, 71 Chall Conv., 68 California mustang, Etc.) all great models, and I am glad to hear about the late 2nd gen, Camaro.

If you would consider any of the following I am sure they would sell, as there are many collectors such as myself who have MOST, of the existing musclecar models (Ertl, Highway 61, GMP, Lane, Etc.) We are looking to complete the set so to speak, so I always have hoped for the following.

70 or 71 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
69 AMC SC/Rambler
69 Ford Torino Cobra
69 Mercury Cyclone (Cale Yarbrough and Dan Gurney) I would buy both!
70 Plymouth Fury
71 AMC Hornet SC360
70 AMC Javelin
66 or 67 Mercury Comet coupe (also there would be plenty of drag car options here like the AFX cars.)
68 or 69 Buick GS 400
69 Ford Fairlane 428
70 Dodge Coronet Coupe (Superbee too)
65 Olds 442
65 Buick GS

Once again NONE of these cars have been done prior in 1/18 (Most have not been done in any scale). If your company were to bring ANY of these cars out, I am confident that many musclecar collectors would support them, I know Mercury and AMC are not Ford and Chevy, but any NEW musclecar model will sell I feel, as most of us are burned out on old Autoworld and GMP repaints. If your company produced any of these it would make my diecast day!! Once again I think it is great that your company is having a presence here.

#6 ·
Thanks for that!

Don't forget to make the 1/18 Supernatural Impala with all openning parts, including hood and trunks with weapons!!

There's a thread about that, I'll check it later

#8 ·
Welcome to DX & as my fellow member just said PLEASE make the Supernatural Impala WITH opening parts as it's a very popular wish list model that would be worth the premium to have it not sealed which may limit its popularity.....WE'RE BEGGING YOU HERE lol

#9 ·
Thanks for keeping us informed Matt!
Like has been said above, great to have a manufacturer presence here at DX!

#12 ·
Looks like a few of you are asking about the 1:18 Supernatural Impala. This will be sealed parts as some of you have seen elsewhere. This is a new concept for us and we are trying it in order to make some more niche models that normally would be tooling prohibitive for a company our size. This is especially true when there are limited models you can make or the market will bear. I know some people are not in favor of this, some are excited we are making a four door 60's car. Internally we are all excited here and the response has been great from our dealers. I hope everyone takes a look at this and please tell us what you think after seeing it finished before passing any judgement.

Thanks,

Matt

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello Matt ... I'm so happy to see a Greenlight rep here on DX ... but you just opened a Pandora's box for me!!

Hoping you'll read this entirely ... I just spent 70 minutes writing this!!!

... about the 1:18 Supernatural Impala.

I hope everyone takes a look at this and please tell us what you think after seeing it finished before passing any judgement.
Because of course it will be easier to say "we tried and failed ... so we won't try to retool it the way collectors really wants it" .... instead of getting it right the first time!

And even if the sales are good ... it won't be for the right reasons! If the sales are good, the only reason will be, that it's because : WE WON'T HAVE ANY OTHER CHOICE!!!!

I'll explain myself :

Personnally, I would pass on your version if it was made by any other company with opening features but it's not!

So, like many collectors/fan of Supernatural ... I will buy this model EVEN IF I HATE that it is sealed up. I will even buy 3 of them!!! Because I will try to do what you guys at Greenlight can't do ... customize it so that, AT LEAST, the damn trunk will be able to open. So I'll buy more then one in case I screw up the project the first time. As I'm sure many will do too.

Of course, marketingly speaking, wow it's a hit, you sold those Impalas by the cases!! Of course you won't care at all of the reasons why they'll sell out ... as long as it's money in your pockets!

But let me ask you this :

Let's say that ERTL still exists ... and they also have the license to do the Supernatural Impala in 1/18 scale. If their version has opening hood, 4-dr & trunk in their usual ERTL quality ... would you risk making YOUR version "sealed" even if it's made in a little bit better quality?

I'm pretty sure of the answer ... which is why I'm saying that, even if the sales are good ... it won't be because you made a huge success out of it, it will be because WE WON'T HAVE ANY OTHER CHOICE!!!!

For your "Hollywood" division, I don't get why you don't do the same as Hot Wheels does with their Ferrari line ... they have a basic cheap version ... a great quality "elite" version ... and for the maniacs they have the "Super Elite".

Now you don't need to go in the last category but you could offer collectors at least, a basic sealed line AND a top quality, opening features version .... then you 'll be able to judge if your "sealed" line is a hit or not!

Although I'm 200% sure of what the result would be, which is probably why you won't do it.

The only excuse you have for the existence of that new concept, sealed line, is to offer new models by avoiding more production cost ... but selling them the same price as opening models.

So less production cost / same selling price = more $$$ in your pockets!

Are you afraid that, if you have to ask much more money to collectors for making new opening models that has less then half Autoart's quality, people won't be there to buy???

I mean if Autoart can manage to make collectors continue to unfold ridiculous amount of money to buy their BBR/CMC's quality wannabe models for the same prices as CMC & BBR ... why don't you think collectors won't pay for upgraded quality Greenlight models WITH opening parts???

If you offer desired NEW products that people really wants ..... and that no other company have ever done (not like AutoWorld offering cheap retool of old ERTL's models) ... buyers WILL come!! You would get a whole new bunch of fans craving for new Greenlight models.

I think I'm not inventing the fact that in business, you have to invest money in order to make some! That could be your new company's motto ...

At Greenlight, we give collectors what they really want, period!

Autoart have tried that concept already and they failed, they've abandonned their sealed line ... why do you think you'll success where others have failed?

#15 ·
Hi Matt,

Any info on the white challenger? I've heard that it is supposed to look like the vanishing point challenger but can't get any confirmation. Also, did greenlight get the license so they could do themed packaging and the movie correct license plates?

Just a thought, if Greenlight produced a 1:18 sealed Fall Guy truck, I imagine a lot would buy it! I would say with opening features, but it seems its easier to produce sealed for the size of the company. Would be a home run if It opened!

If the supernatural impala does well with sales, would greenlight redo it in the future with opening features, so the fans who are also diecast collectors, will get what they want?

Thanks,

Mitchell

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Mitchell,

We are making a white 1970 Dodge Challenger but this has no movie association.

The Fall Guy, I remember the show fondly although apparently I'm one of the few at the office
. But, I'm not sure if you know this or not, they are actually making a movie remake that will star Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. I'm not sure how this would or would not affect the original series rights as usually the two are linked. I haven't checked with the studio on this yet.

Regarding Supernatural and opening parts, I don't know. We have to see how the first one does then talk more. I appreciate your enthusiasm though, I know you are a huge fan of this show and car. We are too so we all hope this goes well. At that point we could go back and look at alternate variations or changes to the mold, etc.

Thanks,

#16 ·
Hi Matt!

I have some 1/18 scale suggestions myself and a question regarding the 1/18 scale Indy Dallara.

Question on the Indy car: Do you plan to address the aerodynamic inaccuracies regarding the front and rear wings of the 2012 Indycar models?

1/18 scale suggestions (preferably with opening parts of course):
PONTIAC G8 IN BLACK
1983 DAYTONA 500 PONTIAC TRANS AM PACE CAR
1982 PONTIAC TRANS AM RECARO W/BOWLING BALL HUBCAPS
& the PONTIAC SOLSTICE seen in the first Transformers movie. Popularly known as JAZZ

#21 ·
Hello,

Yes, actually we wanted to do this for the 2013 season but there was all this talk of aero kits and all the teams having their own designs. Then things went quiet and they stayed the same and it was too late for us by that point to change. So, we are trying to confirm any aero kits for 2014 on the front and rear wings then decide which parts for next season to incorporate.

Nice list of Pontiacs you have there, you are obviously a big fan. I've added them to our concept wall so thanks!

#17 ·
Hi Matt:
Does Greenlight have plans of making more Shelby products, especifically updated versions of the 65-66 GT-350 and '69 GT350/500 in 1:18 scale? Both would be great sellers, especially now that Mustang collectors know what Greenlight is capable of (that '78 Cobra has to be Model of The Year!).

#22 ·
Hello,

Not sure here, there are quite a few '65-66 models in the market which makes it tough to tool up a new one. The '69 GT350/500, hmmm. That's interesting, there are a few out there but not as many as the '65-66.

Thanks for the kind words on the Mustang II, we are trying to make some good items for a decent price and keep our customers happy.

#19 ·
Hi and thanks for joining!
For your Indycar line:
1. Do you have any plans on releasing new liveries in 1/18th? Simon Pagenaud, Sebastian Bourdais, Rubens Barrichello
2. Are there any plans to release them with RC (road course) aero kits? Simon's car that won in Baltimore would be awesome.
Thanks!

#24 ·
Matt,

You know how I feel about the Greenlight Supernatural impala and it being sealed! Cuda Jeff nailed every point and thought I have towards it. Many of us collectors that are also fans of the show want quality in this car. Yea, you'll be able to sell this to fans...just fans....of the show without any complaints, but what about the collectors side? As Cuda Jeff stated I will buy more than one also, to do what Greenlight couldn't....make opening features. I really hope Greenlight gets the hint that "WHEN MORE IS INVESTED, MORE PROFIT CAN BE MADE." Look at Hot Wheels Elite Cult Classics line. They are doing great even though they are charging $120+ for each model. This is because this is what the collectors want. Greenlight can do the same!!!!

Mitchell

#32 ·
Hi E Rod,

You mean the Taurus based one not the Explorer based one right (the Interceptor not the Utility Interceptor)? Not at the moment. I've seen it in 1:24 by MM but we don't have plans for this currently. Interesting subject though, do you think there is interest in this? It seems the Charger is more widely used at this point by departments?

#36 ·
And of course, Matt, I hope you don't release any Indycars until AFTER the teams unveil the final products of their cars. But I think Greenlight has learned its lesson not to jump the gun. By the same token, I sincerely hope that GL likes my Pontiac ideas enough to become realities.

#42 ·
Ryan:
"Yeah, a lot of people have wanted it for a long time. Me especially!
I have the road warrior version from AUTOart, and while its a great model It just doesn't look as good as how it did from the original film.
I much prefer it with the front bumper and rear boot lid.
The licensing issue is only for the first version is it?
Thank you for the reply :) much appreciate it.

One more thing. I know it's not a muscle car, but any chance of a mk1 ford focus RS??? It shocks me how this hadn't been made in 1:18 yet.

Thanks again."

Hi Ryan,

The licensing issue for Mad Max is extremely confusing and it's all tied up in lawyer land. I'm not privy to everything but the part I do know is the movies aren't all owned by the same people which is the main problem.

Regarding the Focus RS MK1, this wouldn't have anything to do with your profile photo would it?
Looks good! Yes, never been done that I know of, but never say never. I'll put this up in our concept room list.

Thanks,

#47 ·
Matt, has Greenlight ever considered buying the old Lane, or Highway 61 model castings, I only am asking because like you said it is a shame to let them sit on a shelf and not get used, I know they are probably not available, but they were some sweet models, and it could really boost your company's 1/18 sales.

also I do not want to imply that Greenlight models are inferior of something, I think they are great but we have seen companies use other companies moulds, so why not ask

ipb.global.registerReputation('rep_post_1369369',{domLikeStripId:'like_post_1369369',app:'forums',type:'pid',typeid:'1369369'},parseInt(''));

#49 ·
Hi Smokey,

I understand your point and no offense taken. The models you mention were usually sold at a higher price point and as such had details to reflect that. This idea you mention about other company's tools is something we've done in the past if the project was right. It's complicated on several levels (buy or lease, acquiring the license rights from the car manufacturer assuming they aren't taken exclusively, making sure the mold is still in good working condition and not damaged from poor storage or age/weathering). This doesn't mean it can't be done but it isn't as easy as one would hope or think. So to answer your question, maybe. We are always looking at ways to keep things fresh in our product mix.

Good question!

Thanks,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.