DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'll start by admitting I'm a little bit lost and would love genuine tips to how to get the most from the forum. I'm really here for my wife and mother in law. Due to a Bereavement, they have come into possession of what can only be described as an Aladdin's cave of model cars. They've had a look at ebay and other sites and know some are valuable and others were probably more valued by owner.
Here is the thing, more that likely they will want to rehome most, if not all the models. They'd love them to go to good homes, but at the same time would want a fair price. But none of us have any experience with this, and I'm hoping I could get some advice on what way to go about selling them and what pitfalls we should watch out for.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Charlie

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Irish collector, Charlie.
There are rules in relation to posting lists in the 'for sale' section.
It would be good advice to read them before considering posting a list.
You don't say which scale the collection is in....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome from a fellow Irish collector, Charlie.
There are rules in relation to posting lists in the 'for sale' section.
It would be good advice to read them before considering posting a list.
You don't say which scale the collection is in....
Hi, thank for the reply, I'm not even sure if I'm in the right forum.. I flicked through some message boards and most the brands being discussed are different... His collection was mainly 1:18 and 1:24...There's s a lot of Danbury mint, Franklin mint and some Sunstar...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! A countryman of the greatest band in the world. You are more than welcome. 🙃.
I can help you, this hobby has its complexities and it takes some time to figure it out. You can send me a PM if you want.
[/QUOTE
Welcome! A countryman of the greatest band in the world. You are more than welcome. 🙃.
I can help you, this hobby has its complexities and it takes some time to figure it out. You can send me a PM if you want.
Hi, I presume your talking about Bewitched 😁😁
As I just replied to another post, I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum.. The 1st of those complexities you've mentioned.. His collection was Franklin mint, Danbury mint and some Sunstar, and a few others. 1:18 and 1:24 scale..

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
The rules about advertising items for sale on the forum.
Craig will probably add to this information.

Classified rules added

Hi all,

If you do meet the requirements of an established member and your post has not appeared, please be patient. All new topics in this forum require approval from the DX Staff before they will appear. For those of you who do not meet these requirements, your post will not appear. Period.

These requirements exist for the safety of our community. We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

To qualify as an established member of DX you must meet all of the following requirements:
1. Must be a registered member for three months or more
2. Must have a post count of 100 or more
3. Must be regularly active
4. Must be a positive contributor
5. Must be in good standing with the DX community
6. Must have one or more DX collection showcase threads - please put a link to your DX members showcase thread in your advert.
7, It is also expected that the items for sale belong to you & are in your possession. We do not do 'selling for a friend' on here. A for sale ad is the full responsibility of the DX member.

Guys, please remember it's not a race to get into the Classifieds.

Lastly, please don't try to get round the rules by asking for items or mentioning items for sale elsewhere on the forum. It may not be intentional, but we do not allow it.

This includes asking about web store / store info in the status updates. This is prohibited. If you want to ask, please start a thread in the Misc Classified & Store Info forum and wait for your thread to be approved.

Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Classified rules added

Hi all,

If you do meet the requirements of an established member and your post has not appeared, please be patient. All new topics in this forum require approval from the DX Staff before they will appear. For those of you who do not meet these requirements, your post will not appear. Period.

These requirements exist for the safety of our community. We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

To qualify as an established member of DX you must meet all of the following requirements:
6. Must have one or more DX collection showcase threads - please put a link to your DX members showcase thread in your advert.
7, It is also expected that the items for sale belong to you & are in your possession. We do not do 'selling for a friend' on here. A for sale ad is the full responsibility of the DX member.

Lastly, please don't try to get round the rules by asking for items or mentioning items for sale elsewhere on the forum. It may not be intentional, but we do not allow it.

This includes asking about web store / store info in the status updates. This is prohibited. If you want to ask, please start a thread in the Misc Classified & Store Info forum and wait for your thread to be approved.

Thank you for reading.

Classified rules added

Hi all,

Thank you for reading.
Thanks for that, defo will follow those guidelines if I am using DX to sell the models. For the moment I'm more trying to get a grasp on how to know the value of them, and what we would need to do to prove the condition of each model... Are the brands I mentioned, the kind of model, this forum normally discuss..

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
Hi Charlie,

One of your best bets is to look them up on ebay and look at the sold items and see what they are going for (as you've said though, they have done that, but it really is your best bet to gauge the current prices) If you / they have the time, selling them individually will get the most money for the sought after ones and doing an bundle of two / three of the less expensive ones will mean that you clear more in one go
Prices on most are at an all time high, so an ebay £1 max selling fee listing is a good idea. It's all in the detail (including pictures) and info in the advert. Don't be had by a buyer who only wants a deal on something. Researching the current prices is key.

If you sell to a toy re seller or auction house, you won't get the real value of them. You probably won't even see half the value.

I understand what you're going through, but you won't be able to sell on here until all of the criteria (the seven points outlined in post #7) is met (and to the members looking, you must follow the rules too, so no asking to buy via pm etc)

Good luck with it, we can help you out a bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Charlie,

One of your best bets is to look them up on ebay and look at the sold items and see what they are going for (as you've said though, they have done that, but it really is your best bet to gauge the current prices) If you / they have the time, selling them individually will get the most money for the sought after ones and doing an bundle of two / three of the less expensive ones will mean that you clear more in one go
Prices on most are at an all time high, so an ebay £1 max selling fee listing is a good idea. It's all in the detail (including pictures) and info in the advert. Don't be had by a buyer who only wants a deal on something. Researching the current prices is key.

If you sell to a toy re seller or auction house, you won't get the real value of them. You probably won't even see half the value.

I understand what you're going through, but you won't be able to sell on here until all of the criteria (the seven points outlined in post #7) is met (and to the members looking, you must follow the rules too, so no asking to buy via pm etc)

Good luck with it, we can help you out a bit.
Thank very much for the info. I defo need to read up a bit on how various aspects of selling collectibles, I've never used ebay and the fact what I'd consider mint condition and what a genuine collector considers mint are probably very different. I offered to help, but had no idea of the amount of models and the effort that would be required to sell them. There's probably 500 and possibly more...
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Hello,

To help us answer your questions, first you need to catalog all you have, make an inventory of manufacturer, scale, model name, color, condition, etc.

I suggest you maintain a spreadsheet on Google Sheets, that should help you understand better what you really have, and should also help you with listing them on eBay and keep tabs on what you sold, for how much and so on, if you decide to go the eBay route.

After you finish that, you need to tell us how many models of each scale/manufacturer you have. Example: 100 1:18 Bburago, 150 1:18 Maisto, 50 1:24 Franklin Mint, and so on... Once we have that info, we may be able to guide you more accurately.

If the collection is made up mostly of budget, low end models, then for such a large collection, it may take years to shift all of them on eBay. You said it is your wife and mother-in-law who'll be in charge of the sale, I don't suppose they'll want all that bother of packaging each model, making constant trips to An Post, not to mention all the headache of dealing with fussy buyers who are going to give you hell because of broken mirrors, paint chips and such.

It's just not worth all the hassle, for perhaps a few hundred euros extra.

So for budget models, you should try for a quick sell of the whole lot at once. Google up model shops in Ireland, some of them buy whole collections, but have in mind they won't offer as much as you'd like to get because they're a business after all. I know of one in Galway who's always keen to buy.

However, if you have a few higher end brands, then those are the ones you should keep and auction off individually on eBay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello,

To help us answer your questions, first you need to catalog all you have, make an inventory of manufacturer, scale, model name, color, condition, etc.

I suggest you maintain a spreadsheet on Google Sheets, that should help you understand better what you really have, and should also help you with listing them on eBay and keep tabs on what you sold, for how much and so on, if you decide to go the eBay route.

After you finish that, you need to tell us how many models of each scale/manufacturer you have. Example: 100 1:18 Bburago, 150 1:18 Maisto, 50 1:24 Franklin Mint, and so on... Once we have that info, we may be able to guide you more accurately.

If the collection is made up mostly of budget, low end models, then for such a large collection, it may take years to shift all of them on eBay. You said it is your wife and mother-in-law who'll be in charge of the sale, I don't suppose they'll want all that bother of packaging each model, making constant trips to An Post, not to mention all the headache of dealing with fussy buyers who are going to give you hell because of broken mirrors, paint chips and such.

It's just not worth all the hassle, for perhaps a few hundred euros extra.

So for budget models, you should try for a quick sell of the whole lot at once. Google up model shops in Ireland, some of them buy whole collections, but have in mind they won't offer as much as you'd like to get because they're a business after all. I know of one in Galway who's always keen to buy.

However, if you have a few higher end brands, then those are the ones you should keep and auction off individually on eBay.
Thanks for the reply... Again I'm new to this, so not even sure what qualifies as highend and what's low... I know there's some selling for over €1000 and most are around €100...

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Thanks for the reply... Again I'm new to this, so not even sure what qualifies as highend and what's low... I know there's some selling for over €1000 and most are around €100...
That's exactly why I suggested you make an inventory of what you have. Then, knowing what you've got, we can take it from there - up to a certain point, of course.

You seem to have already learned a few things:

• Most are Franklin mint, Danbury mint, some Sun Star, and a few others brands in 1:18 and 1:24
  • Most are in mint condition and in original packaging.
  • Some are selling for €1000, others for €100

You also said you've never used eBay, and you know that your idea of "mint" might differ from what collectors consider as such.

That is the tricky part, and that you will have to gauge by yourself. Opinions regarding what makes a "mint" model vary even among collectors.

So here's another suggestion: take five of the 1:18 Sun Star, and list them on eBay, just to learn how it works and decide if that's what you want to do for the remaining 100's of models.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's exactly why I suggested you make an inventory of what you have. Then, knowing what you've got, we can take it from there - up to a certain point, of course.

You seem to have already learned a few things:

• Most are Franklin mint, Danbury mint, some Sun Star, and a few others brands in 1:18 and 1:24
  • Most are in mint condition and in original packaging.
  • Some are selling for €1000, others for €100

You also said you've never used eBay, and you know that your idea of "mint" might differ from what collectors consider as such.

That is the tricky part, and that you will have to gauge by yourself. Opinions regarding what makes a "mint" model vary even among collectors.

So here's another suggestion: take five of the 1:18 Sun Star, and list them on eBay, just to learn how it works and decide if that's what you want to do for the remaining 100's of models.
I will sit down with the missus and have a chat. I know they have a spreadsheet of around 350 of them, but didn't grade of take pictures... So probably will have to go through them all again... It's a big undertaking and there is a sentimental side to the collection. But again I do appreciate your input. I was hoping to get talking to genuine helpful people, and not folk just trying to pull the wool over my eyes... So far seems like I came to the right place..

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
Charlie - I've linked to a thread which includes my guide to selling on ebay. In my opinion it's worth reading as it will help you understand how to get the best from the models.
Apart form the postal services I mentioned, I think all other bits will apply. Note that since I wrote it, ebay will pay direct into your bank account so you will have to upload proof of who you are.

Do not make any rash decisions, otherwise you will not get the best price for them & will be giving money away.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I will sit down with the missus and have a chat. I know they have a spreadsheet of around 350 of them, but didn't grade of take pictures... So probably will have to go through them all again... It's a big undertaking and there is a sentimental side to the collection. But again I do appreciate your input. I was hoping to get talking to genuine helpful people, and not folk just trying to pull the wool over my eyes... So far seems like I came to the right place..
You're welcome!

I understand that going through hundreds of models, one by one, will bring memories and emotions up to the surface. And after that, your wife and your mother-in-law might even decide that it's not the right time to sell anything at all.

Given the amount of models, that is not a process that will conclude any time soon. That's why I first suggested maybe a quick sale (of the least valuable ones) would be better than having the collection around for months to years until everything is sold out. But that was only a suggestion, and one which might not be the best in this case.

Would it be of any help if we list manufacturer's names so you can check which ones you have? Or give you a rough estimate of how much they might be worth, based on the manufacturer?

This way you'll have a starting price and you don't even have to reveal any info to us. Or, you can randomly pick a couple from each manufacturer and check on eBay how much they're selling for.

And don't forget to read Craig's eBay selling guide above! ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Charlie - I've linked to a thread which includes my guide to selling on ebay. In my opinion it's worth reading as it will help you understand how to get the best from the models.
Apart form the postal services I mentioned, I think all other bits will apply. Note that since I wrote it, ebay will pay direct into your bank account so you will have to upload proof of who you are.

Do not make any rash decisions, otherwise you will not get the best price for them & will be giving money away.
Thanks Craig... For the moment, I've just doing research into how to go about moving them on. I'm one of those people that if I take on a project, I want to know I get the most out of whatever it is... At the end of the day, it is my mother in laws Estate, and not about making money for myself. But I'd be raging at myself if I found out that I'd being taking for a ride... Genuinely appreciate the input.. 👍👍👍

1 - 18 of 18 Posts