DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned the hard way about the Highway 61/Supercar Collectables '71 Challenger in Citron Yella #50240 - big gaps on the front & rear bumpers and the shaker scoop is sunken in. I was really excited about receiving this car and was really dissappointed upon it's arrival. From the research I've done (including feedback from our forum's members) this was the way they all came straight out of the factory.

What high end cars should we stay away from or at least be aware of QC or production problems.

:feedback
Sean

G

·
I'm afraid this isn't something limited to just premium models - its something that can be found throughout all models on the market.

I do feel your pain about after seeing your Highway 61 model - what a travesty that was.

Not too many models get by without the pro/cons posted about them - I would suggest doing a thorough search or asking prior to purchasing.

Thats what I find myself doing often.

I'm sure a list of models with flaws will be quite extensive too :lol

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
:iagree Almost every model has atleast something wrong or imperfect.

I know a lot has been said about AUTOart, but they're QC really does suck. Every model except the GT has something wrong with it which I can understand, but large paint issues and things are not good. My latest AUTOart, The Mustang GT had a large black spot on the front end when I opened the box and its something they should have noticed before boxing it up. It turned out to be some strange grease-like goo that thankfully did not harm the model. My first Mazda RX8 had a half inch gash in the roof which went down to bare metal, and my M3 CSL had a large glue spot on the hood.

So, the only company I have had issues with is AUTOart. I like their products but hope the QC improves.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We all must realize that our models will have flaws. Most of these flaws, we are able to live with because we understand that they are mostly due to the limitations of the manufacturing processes and we understand that we can't expect 100% accuracy in scale (movie idea - 'Honey, I Shrunk The Family Car Into a 1/18 Diecast' :giggle ). With high end or premium models, the bar for what we accept as acceptable should be set higher.

The aim for this thread is not one off mistakes that slipped throught the QC process but whole product lines.

With lower end models, one must expect flaws - and rejoice when there are none! :lol It is my opinion that higher end models (say, 1/18 cars over $50 for instance) should not have 'major' flaws.

In the case of the Challenger I mentioned, I would expect those kind of flaws on a car that I paid less than $20 for. Knowing these flaws were on all models of this release existed, I never would have bought the car.

Research is the key! I didn't do the research I should have. I assumed that since Highway 61 & Supercar Collectables are highly revered companies, they would not release product lines that were like this one.

:cheers
Sean

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Oddly I've had best luck with AUTOart. Every car has problems but it kills me when I drop a lot on a car and find it has some glaring issue. I know the Highway 61 H2 I got was pretty crummy. Maybe I just got a lemon.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
This is almost a constant, that goes from Bburago to CMC, with minor or major intensity according to brand. Of course some models are flawless, but they're rare. So what to do? Very simple: research. Read reviews, look at pics and ask around. Sometimes the model does have a flaw that some think is bad, but to you it's ok, so that model can be a candidate for purchase, as the reverse is also possible. Places like DX is your best answer for that.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
:iagree That's exactly the case. I doubt there's a model anywhere that could be called perfect, and while some flaws will be a bigger deal than others the best thing to do is find out all you can, and then weigh up any common complaints, and indeed strengths, against how much you want the model.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I would advise to be very careful when unpacking any high-end model. The more pieces that go into a model also means there are more pieces that can come loose in transit. From my experience, something falls off an Exoto about 50% of the time. Do not turn the box over when unpacking and look over the inside bottom of the box and the wrapping paper for very small parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.