DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a few words and pics of Highway 61's Hummer H2 - starting with the word 'Wow".

This, as you might expect, is a pretty big model. And, being a Highway 61, it's got quite a few bells and whistles, including working steering, working suspension, rotating driveshafts (including the shaft running forward from the 4WD transfer case - cool) opening doors, hood, and hatch, front and rear tilting seats (the fronts also slide to and fro), with a stowable, folding rear seat in the nosebleed section out back.

The truck, which arrived in a brilliant, dead-even metallic anthracite, has a bajillion little details all 'round. Some are eye-popping. Despite the model's size and appreciable (if not extreme) heft, there's a delicacy about the lensing and glazing, especially in the marker lights atop the H2's cabin and the fitment of the plastic trim. Even the "Hummer" logos tampo'd onto the luggage rack rails up top are crisp, and the "H2" badges on each side are complex, layered etch/plastic assemblies that read and scale like the real thing.

The shape and stance are dead-on, and the shut lines and assembly of the boxy brute are remarkable. Only one door is slightly misaligned in this late pre-production sample, and I have myself to thank for that; I whonked the danged thing downward while trying to open it. (Note to self: next time, use the pick tool - and lay off the caffeine). The interior is plush, carpeted - and dark. Bring a flashlight to the party and you'll be rewarded by a hatful of detail like fabric seat belts, photoetched buckles, a working shift lever, crisp consoles (both on the dash and at the rear of the console), tilting sun visors, an opening glove box, and a sliding sunroof shade. This is a chapel to conspicuous consumption, and it's complete to the soft-touch feel of the seating and the panic-room grab handles that seem to sprout from every possible purchase. Even more interesting are the dozens of truly tiny tampos that call out the gauges and indicators on the door panels, dash, and console. Look hard - they're there. So are the speaker grilles for the high-end Bose sound system on all four doors.

Pop the latches at each side of the forward-tilting hood, and the assembly glides up smoothly over a very nicely done Vortech V8. I like the matte-finish plastic for the maze of resonators and intake runners, and the crisp silver elements for the coils and such atop the valve covers. Yep, it's wired and plumbed, and the details that live all around the engine are tight, tampo'd and sweetly realistic. Check out the battery top if you'd like to take an impromptu eye test - the appliqué here is legible, despite its size. And the color of the windshield washer solution is tinted to replicate the azure fluid as it appears behind semi-opaque plastic - you'd swear that the stuff would slosh if you moved the model around. Quirky - and typical of many H61s with this feature - the engine fan spins when the rear wheels are rotated… but it spins backwards!

Despite the stiffness of some of the suspension features and the squeaks and complaints from the drivetrain when I spin the rear wheels, I'm impressed by the overall appeal of the Hummer. Given the impeccable detail atop the truck, and the depth of engineering under the model (where every heat shield and brace is replicated, right down to the bright yellow bump stops at the rear axle) I've got to give this one very high marks. It's a little pricey, at an MSRP of around ninety bucks (ironically, approximately the cost of a fill-up, should you actually own one), but the thought that went into bringing this model out is evident in every area. It's available in this silver, yellow, and black. Rock on.

Review added to the DX Model Review Database on 24-OCT-2005

·
Registered
187 Posts
WOW! :tongue With that kind of mind boggling detailing, I'd be afraid to even touch the model!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for taking the time and posting this review.

You mention that the shape and stance is dead on, what model year is this H2 suppose to replicate?

As a former H2 owner, I notice a few things that are slightly off or missing. But that could all be due to the model year.

For the most part it looks to be pretty accurate. Any interiror shots.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A bit OT..... you had an H2 Darrick???

Will read your review later, sorry for interrupting :giggle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Bernard seems like ages ago since I owned that truck :giggle

It was a 2003.

I have to admit, Highway 61 has done a really nice job on this model, not a surprise there though. I'm really digging their models here of late.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice review and congrats on a fine purchase.

I like how it is filled with extras, it really makes the model real.

Darrick, is it really thirsty as some say? Was it fun to drive?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bernard,

I'm sure it was no more thirsty than any other SUV on the market, certainly not as thirsty as our Excursion. I thank Jeff for influencing me into buying that boring thing :giggle

The only time I went off road with it was driving through construction zones on the way to the office :giggle I never expereinced the off road side ownership.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Hi, Darrick -

It's an '05, and I compared it to a neighbor's black '05 and another that my buddy owns (his has faux twin machine guns mounted to the hood - talk about an alarming visual to have in your rear view...).

I tried to get some interior shots, but the cabin is black on black on black on black - I was afraid I would be sucked into a vortex if I got too close! :tease

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joe,

Thanks for the info and the review, I'm not too familar with the 05's, but its certainly a nice model.

I've added it to my wishlist, of course it has to be in black.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Wow :scared
As detailed as this model is, I just can't justify spending $100 on a model of a vehicle that I don't like much...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the wonderful review. I have always wanted an H2 but just could not bring myself to buy a Jada. Now it seem I have found the right H2. Thanks. :cheers

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
The 1:18 Maisto H2 never really did look quite right, but this looks excellent! :nicejob

I may just pick one of these up, not sure which color though :confused :giggle

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Are the center H2 wheel caps on the final production pieces? The ones on Ebay are missing the caps!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the review. :cheers

seems nice, but not high on my list

as for that fan problem, would it be hard to design some sort of mechanism to make it spin the right way?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
:iagree

Joe,

Is this a preproduction model?

The ones being sold on eBay do not have the center caps on the wheels, I had to make sure you didn't make a mention of them being removable, requiring them to be attached..

The engine finish in your pics look better too, the wires aren't cluttered, for the lack of a better description.

:feedback​

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
I have to get the black H2!!!!

I knew it has a lot of features...but not that many..WOW!!!! Highway 61 really impress me...since day 1!

Great review by the way!!!! You just made it harder to wait for it!!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts