DiecastXchange Forum banner

History of BMW in 1:18

29K views 94 replies 21 participants last post by  jazzy426 
#1 ·
Foreword

BMW miniatures are a popular subject among scale model car collectors. Over the years, a wide range of models was released by various manufacturers. Most prominent diecast companies and resin casters - from inexpensive Revell and Maisto to premium AUTOart, Kyosho and Minichamps made bimmers in various scales. Almost every model of the legendary Bavarian carmaker is represented in 1:18th scale, and likely every model and body variant available in smaller, 1:43rd scale. While there are lower number of models in 1:24 and larger 1:12, there are still some very interesting pieces to collect there as well.

This series is devoted entirely and exclusively to BMW miniatures in 1:18th scale. Apart from few obscure models, BMW range is very well represented in this scale. Models from almost every era and every model generation are made, and though some are rarer and harder to find than others, even novice collectors will have plenty of pieces to collect right off the bat.

And after collecting these models for over 20 years and dealing with lack of information on the subject, I decided to compile this guide to help others trying to put together a comprehensive BMW scale model car collection. As of early 2020, this is the most complete guide on 1/18th scale bimmers ever done.

Obviously, being the most popular car series in BMW lineup, 3 series models are the most popular subject of model-makers. These are made in various shapes and guises, including multitude of racing versions and variants. If you ever decide to collect scale BMW models, I can guarantee the 3 series cars will comprise a good chunk of your collection.

3-series

First time the world heard the name 3-series was back in May of 1975. New sporty-looking car was a successor to the very popular 2002 series and was only available as a coupe, although the body styles have been expanded to almost infinite variations with the latter generations.

The most successful model for BMW (3 series sales account for close to 30% of all BMW sales to date) and one of the best passenger cars ever built by any manufacturer, 3 series have been produced for close to 45 years and spans 7 generations. The BMW 3 Series won numerous awards throughout its history. Many consider BWM 3er one of, if not the best compact car money can buy.

To meet the ever-increasing demand for more power, refinement, and luxury, starting with the 2nd generation (E30) in 1988 BMW introduced its Motorsport-division-tuned version called an M3 (starting with the 2015 model year, all M3 Coupes have been renamed M4, with M3 moniker reserved only for sedans). M versions of the 3 series all had more powerful engines, improved handling /suspension /braking characteristics, subtle body enhancements, lightweight materials used in construction.

Based on the M1 racing success, M3 became an instant star of the international racing, winning many titles on various racing tracks around the world in many disciplines. The BMW M3 remains the only car ever to have earned more titles than the venerable Porsche 911 in Motorsport, and is the most successful touring, and grand touring car ever to have participated in racing. M3 racing success is one of the reasons BMW as a brand is enjoying such a strong following of diehard racing enthusiasts.

3-Series Generations

E21: 1975-1981 Coupe/Baur Cabrio
E30: 1982-1991 Coupe/Sedan/Cabriolet/Touring
E36: 1992-1998 Coupe/Sedan/Cabriolet/Touring/Compact
E46: 1999-2005 Coupe/Sedan/Cabriolet/Touring/Compact
E90: 2005-2011 Sedan/E91: 2005-2011 Touring/E92: 2006-2013 Coupé/E93: 2007-2013 Convertible
F30: 2012-2019 Sedan/F31: 2012-2019 Touring/F34: 2013-2018 GT/F35: 2012-2019 Long Wheelbase
G20: 2019-202x Sedan/G21: 2019-202x Touring

E21: 1975-1981

For quite some time, the only road-going 18th scale model of the E21 was the lonely AUTOart's 323i release in their excellent Millennium series.

AUTOart Millennium E21 BMW 323i Alpine Weiss.

The model was released in Alpine white, Polaris silver, and also in Aspen silver as a dealer edition. It is the most detailed and highest quality model in the entire series thus far.

Full chassis, engine and interior detailing of highest caliber. Many working features and superb paint finish.

The only knock on AUTOart offering would be lack of interesting colors.

With original price for the model of just around $60 at the time of the release, their values have skyrocketed almost 10-fold over the last few years.

This fact caught the attention of other manufacturers, especially with price of diecast models slowly rising over the last few years as it is. Temptation to earn quick buck prevailed, and late in 2015 and early 2016, three separate model manufacturers released new E21 models. While none of the new models were fully functional (opening features) diecasts - in fact, most of the new models were made from resin - these models filled the holes in the E21 road car collection nonetheless.

Minichamps released 3 resin E21 models that covered 316i, 320i, and 323i cars. All 3 are nice sealed resin models, with just subtle changes to reflect model differences (323i having 4 headlights is the biggest change).

Minichamps E21 BMW 316i

Minichamps E21 BMW 320i

Some assembly issues were present, which made these expensive models hardly a bargain at close to $200. Interestingly, only one color for each version was offered, and models were not re-released since initial offering.

Minichamps E21 BMW 323i

KK Scale released a very basic sealed diecast of 318i that looks nice on the shelf but lacks detailing pretty much everywhere. 3 colors were available - official red and very nice shade of light blue metallic, and "eBay" green version.

KK Scale E21 BMW 318i

Difference in the front ends - KK Scale has better shape and correct size headlights, but the grille is better on the Minichamps models. Also note 4 headlights on the 6-cylinder models.

All models had the same style wheels except for the top of the line 323i. Rear end is almost identical, though 323i has two mufflers to go with the more powerful engine. Minichamps cars have nice interiors, despite being sealed resin.

Almost entire E21 lineup: Minichamps 316i, 320i, 323i & 318i KK Scale.

Finally, BoS Models released resin model of 323i Baur Cabrio in weird green color, which again looks nice overall but has incorrect body proportions (from certain angles it hardly looks like E21), lacks detailing, and not finished particularly well - especially for resin model. At least both KK and BoS models were not very expensive.

BoS Models E21 BMW 323i Baur Cabrio

Not a bad interior, but the wrong body shape far outweighs the good things on this model.

In late 2018 another Asian startup LS Collectibles released several Alpina models in 18th scale, one of which was E21 Alpina C1 2.3 car. Model was released in 5 traditional Alpina colors and stripes and packaged in very nice hard-shell box with model itself mounted on a base with name plaque. While nice model overall and certainly a welcome subject, the model is obviously larger than 1/18the scale, which clearly evident when put on the shelf next to the rest of E21s. Which is a shame and unfortunate mistake when you are a newcomer in the business of making scale models.

LS Collectibles E21 Alpina C1 2.3

The main problem with the flat front end is clearly visible in this photo. Excellent wheels, good decals, typical Alpina spoiler and stripped interior are all Alpina specific touches.

BoS 323i Baur, AUTOart 323i, LS Alpina C1 2.3

So, as it stands at the moment, the only model of the E21 that is not represented in 1/18th scale would be 315i, but since it is visually identical to the rest of the E21 lineup, it is not that big of a deal. In order to have complete E21 road car collection, you need 7 total models. Add 14 racers, and a full E21 lineup in 18th scale would consist of a total of 21 model cars. In 2019 Minichamps teased with some mock-ups of the E21 models at various toy fairs, but so far no new releases have been announced.

BMW E21 3-Series (1975-1983)

Copyright 2016-2020 Alex Kustov. No copying or reproduction in any shape or form without written permission of the author.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have quite a bit of BMW's in my collection (I think more then 150), but I don't plan on getting too many new models into collection simply because many of them are not worth getting in my opinion. As you pointed out BoS did Baur, but messed it up. As did one more model. Also, LS might did Alpina, but again messed up and in both cases no opening models so it is a hell no for me. But I hope one day, we'll get them as fully open models. For a start I'd like to see E39 made that way. . .

Ps Nice post :)

#6 ·
Thanks!
I know what you mean - quality issues are all around and it is frustrating when a long awaited model car turns out to be a dud. There has be en a fair share of those too. I think a lot of companies that really shouldn't be making models see an opportunity for a quick buck and jump on it - but its not that easy. That Alpina is a disaster, absolutely terribly proportioned model. But sometimes these things happen. Hopefully this guide will help others to make up their minds on what to get!

[/quote]

That is the main reason I stopped buying resine and sealed models. Those are all rare models, and probably non of them will be made in open diecast ever. But, KK, PMA, BoS, GTS/OTTO, NEO, and others will have to excuse me, I am not their personal atm where they can take money any time they want.
Unfortunately, as long as there are people who gladly buy those models, things will not get better.

However, if we ever get any of those fully open, I will gladly buy it. And if it is Aplina, in all color schemes as well.

#11 ·
Amazing - very exhausting information about the cars as well as the models. Combined with excellent pictures!!

I have to admit that BMWs are not my personal focus but I really enjoyed reading through your post.

Looking very much forward to what will follow this promising start...
Thanks for sharing!

#12 ·
As a BMW junkie, I really appreciate this thread and the effort and time you put in. Really good info on here and I look forward for some more.

As a side note, your "name" on here is very familiar to me. I believe we communicated via eBay messages regarding one of the models I was selling.

Best,

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)

Racing E21 1:18 model lineup from Minichamps

Of course the story of E21 would not be complete without many excellent race cars that were based on this model 3-series. Until Spark Models introduced its own line of racing E21 resin replicas in late 2018, all racing E21s were based on a very good Minichamps tool, which was developed a few years back when BMW decided to launch their BMW Art Cars series.

Roy Lichtenstein E21 320i Art Car was spectacular. One of the better looking E21 due to the 4-headlight configuration and bronze colored BBS wheels, made for a one striking model:

BMW E21 320i Art Car Roy Lichtenstein. 1977 24h Le Mans Gr.5 9th Place.

Like all models in the series, Roy Lichtenstein 1977 320i Art Car comes with a nice display case, a book about the program, and a nice packaging to show its exclusivity and limited release status.

BMW E21 320i Art Car Roy Lichtenstein. 1977 24h Le Mans Gr.5 9th Place.

Only this model has double-headlight configuration. Other 6 racing 320 cars have either a single headlight fascia, or a double-headlight setup with covered inner lights.

But as it is usually the case, to better utilize the developed tool in addition to the Art Car Minichamps also cranked out 6 different racing versions of the E21 320i in various liveries from the 1977 racing season.

Unlike Spark's sealed resin versions that followed, Minichamps models are full diecast, with opening doors, detailed interiors and chassis, removable hoods and trunk lids and nicely detailed engines and trunk spaces.

BMW E21 320 #4 Warsteiner. Team Warsteiner GS-Tuning, Div. 2 DRM 1977.

BMW E21 320 #13 WÜRTH. Team BMW Junior, DRM 1977.

BMW E21 320 #23 UNILOCK. Team BMW Faltz Assen, Mosport 6 Hours 1977 (Class Winner).

Back in the day, these were some of the most premium diecast replicas you could buy (retailed for about a $100 while most comparable replicas sold for under $80). They were packed in Minichamps premium boxes with styrofoam clam-shells and nice glossy outer boxes with pictures of the model and brief history and technical characteristics of the car.

BMW E21 320 #8 Fruit of the Loom. Team Fruit of the Loom, Div. 2 DRM 1977.

BMW E21 320 #21 HAT. H.A.T. Freizeit Racing Team, DRM 1977.

BMW E21 320 #15 Jägermeister. Team Faltz, Div. 2 DRM 1977.

All models in the series are very similar with few minor details, but aside from the liveries there are a few other little details that were different on several models.

As mentioned earlier, some models had double-headlight configuration, some single headlight setup, and some double-headlights blocked-off by black or silver covers. Some trunk lids had holes for the fuel filler necks, some did not. Trunk lid and hood underside on the Art Car was painted in flat black, while regular releases were body color.

Lichtenstein Art Car was also built much nicer in general - better detailing of the cockpit with more decals and some additional details added, wheels were correct shade and had proper markings on the tires, driver door had a neatly woven real-thread net, while other models did not have the net at all. Overall, even the body paint was better on the Art Car.

One of the most interesting variations among the models was the fact that some had different engine details. If you look closer, you can see that some engines had black cam covers with BMW M Power stamped in silver letters, but had different color plug wires and silver brake ducting. Warsteiner car had bronze-colored covers with silver print on it, and Fruit of the loom car had completely different cam covers with photoetched EIDEGGER badges on it. Talk about attention to detail!

It has been about 15 years since their release, and they are getting rather hard to find these days. However, with recent resurrection of M1 and E30 M3 molds, there is always hope that Minichamps will bring these (hopefully with new liveries as well) back. If you want to collect all racing E21s made by Minichamps you will need to buy a total 7 models.

In my opinion Art Car would be the most expensive to buy, but not necessarily the hardest to find. From my experience, Unilock-livered car was the toughest to acquire - perhaps due to the fact that it was released the last in the series.

Copyright 2016-2020 Alex Kustov. No copying or reproduction in any shape or form without written permission of the author.

#14 ·
Lovely thread and awesome to see the additional competition models, which is where I am probably more passionate about. The Art Car is spectacular and is one of the major collecting regrets. I can recall when these were $150AUS each and I only managed to get the Wahol M1. The Unilock is the most desirable in my opinion given the drivers and class win. Congratulations on the write up and excellent assortment of BMWs

#16 ·
loving this topic mate
keep up the excellent work with photography and write up. I only have two E21 a white Autoart and the lowly blue 318i represented by KK scale. You are right about KK-scale being lack of details but for the price i was willing to look past them. The one thing which bugs me the most is the inaccurate shape of the famous kidney grill. On the KK-scale they look too angular. Having said that they did apply real chrome on it if i remember correctly. Compares to their later release like the 2000CS the chrome window frame treatment is just painted on with silver paint.

#17 ·
More superb models and details.
Nerd attack:
DRM races were generally not long enough to require fuel stops, so no holes in the boot lids.
DRM regulations did not require IMSA type drivers door nets.
The Minichamps of old would not have attempted to use the 1977 spec tooling for almost any car raced after that year.
From 1978 DRM teams in particular were making changes to the front and rear bodywork extensions, to 'improve' downforce.
The rear wings were of two distinct types, and Minichamps only replicated the original BMW Motorsport version.
I have all three of the E21 Spark models, and all have the required changes made - including the unique right hand drive of the GS Jagermeister car.
And from what I can see, the new Minichamps sealed diecasts are the same 1977 spec cars, with no mention of later versions (so far).

#21 ·
Oh yeah, I definitely remember. That was me. I was too slow and by the time I got your email, it was already gone. I've been hunting for this Interlagos ZCP E46M for years! I have the Sibergrau ZCP version in my collection, but I also have a 1:1 E46M ZCP in Carbonschwartz which is very close to IB - and since these are the only two colors that Kyosho made....Anyway, I'll get it one of these days.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
I should have said that the three Spark versions I bought were the Raceland exclusives.....

Keep up the good work!
Another point in relation to the Raceland exclusive Harald Ertl Schnitzer version is that they had a choice of two (Ertl had access to both).
And there were differences in the bodywork available - allowing a degree of chop and change.
For example, one set of rear body work flares had cooling 'NACA' holes in the tops, one set did not.

#25 ·
slartibartfast229, on 18 March 2020 - 01:19 PM, said:

I should have said that the three Spark versions I bought were the Raceland exclusives.....

Keep up the good work!
Another point in relation to the Raceland exclusive Harald Ertl Schnitzer version is that they had a choice of two (Ertl had access to both).
And there were differences in the bodywork available - allowing a degree of chop and change.
For example, one set of rear body work flares had cooling 'NACA' holes in the tops, one set did not.

I assume you mean the real car, not the model?

Yes, the real car.
I have an image somewhere showing both - Ertl must have had a decent budget since he also had access to two Zakspeed Capris when he switched teams.

#26 ·
This would be the last chapter in the E21 series. In addition to Minichamps models covered last time, there were several sealed resin E21s made by Spark Models and one car made by a company called CMF. Spark racing E21 models are all 320 Turbos from 1979-80 DRM seasons, and 1980-81 Macau races.

BMW E21 320 Turbo #55 Rodenstock Racing /Sachs Racing. Harald Ertl.

They are nicely proportioned models with great graphics and high-quality overall finish. Being sealed resin pieces, the detailing is limited to what you can see on the outside, with chassis detail being very sparse and, for the most part, inaccurate.

BMW E21 320 Turbo Gr. 5 #2 Dunhill/Dunlop. Hans Stuck.

They look great on the shelf, but lack the detail offered by Minichamps replicas. However, what is present is done to a high standard, with many unique details faithfully replicated in scale.

BMW E21 320 Turbo #6 Jägermeister Racing / GS Tuning Team. Marcus Hottinger.

Three of the cars are limited released of only 300 pieces each for a German model shop Raceland, and they were sold only in that shop. Being the only distributor, Raceland sold them for a bit more what typical Spark models sell for ($170). But overall, they were a decent value, especially considering how prices went up after the models were sold out.

BMW E21 320 Turbo #4 Rodenstock Wurth, Team Schnitzer. Manfred Winkelhock.

These models do represent cars never released by Minichamps and add to the collection in this regard. Cars are nicely packaged in styrofoam clamshell boxes with superb designs on the top and sides and mounted on black wooden bases similar to Spark's 1/43 scale releases.

Spark BMW E21 320 Turbo lineup.

You have to give credit to Spark for making each model unique - all the subtle differences in configuration of front wings, splitters, supports, headlights, etc - all were modeled correctly after the prototypes.

Four different cars - four different rear wing designs. Pretty good attention to detail, often not seen on the models from mainstream manufacturers.

Wheels were identical on all four models, but all of the interiors were different. Air ducts, dashboards, instrument setups, and even the correct right-hand steering on Jagermeister car. Outstanding job by Spark.

Curiously, in addition to the traditional E21 320 racing body style, Spark also released couple E21s with outrageous bodywork in Viceroy livery from 1981 Macau Race, and Rodenstock livery ran by team Schnitzer in Division 2 on Nurburgring in 1979.

BMW E21 320 Turbo Gr. 5 #1 Team Viceroy - Sime Darby. Manfred Winkelhock.

Not to be outdone, virtual newcomer Chinese-based resin maker CMF made the same car, but from Zolder race of the same year. CMF model is very similar in quality and detail, though not as polished as Spark version and as such, look a bit cheaper when sitting on the shelf next to Spark. They do make a good looking set, though.

Spark and CMF E21 320 Turbo lineup.

Minor differences on the car implemented between the races are faithfully reproduced in scale. Different kick-panel design, exhaust configurations, headlights, grilles, etc. Viceroy car has completely different bodywork!

Just like on the earlier cars, wheels are the same on Sparks, but CMF sport a different design. Both CMF and Spark have similar rear wing on their #4 cars, but Viceroy-liveried car had a much more elaborated wing design. Terrific attention to detail from both manufacturers.

As of the time of writing, Spark promised a couple of other E21 racing variants, but until this materializes a complete collection of racing E21s would consist of 7 Minichamps models, 6 Sparks, and a CMF for the total of 14 pieces. This concludes E21 series - until we get new models, that is.

BMW E21 320 Turbo #6 Jägermeister Racing / GS Tuning Team. Marcus Hottinger. Probably my favorite model out of the bunch.

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
More nerd information:
For the 1977 IMSA series, BMW in conjunction with McLaren, ran a turbocharged version of the 320 in several races.
This car was the first to have modified bodywork, more akin to the 1978 cars.
A small number of cars were also run in the 1977 group 5 World championship series - all N/A and all with unmodified bodywork.
Some were raced again in the 1978 series, with both the original and modified body panels.
The 'Flach' 320 turbo as developed by Schnitzer during 1979 (as seen in Rodenstock colours above) was also raced with Kraus Hi-Fi paint scheme.
A bit of a sideline now - the E21 320 was also raced in the later 70's FIA group 2 ETCC and DRM Rennsport trophy classes.
These had far less extreme bodywork and the original SOHC engine.

#30 ·
I am sorry someone else beat you to that interlagos E46. I hope you will find one.

Your writing is impeccable and the pics are stunning. I feel quite inadequate to participate with any info to your thread, not that it needs anything other than BMW enthusiasts to read it. For me it is a valuable lesson on a small chapter of BMW history. Thank you again for that!

#31 ·
Thank you! Much appreciated. I'm working on E30 chapter, but as you might know, it is completely different animal since E30 M3 is apparently the car every freaking model maker wants to make their own version of, and I believe there are something like 67 different versions released so far... so it is quite a job to catalog, not to mention acquire all of them, photograph, etc. Waiting on one more model before I could start doing that.

#32 ·
5-Series

5-Series is a mid-size luxury car that was first released by BMW in 1972. It is the successor to the 4-door sedans of the BMW Neue Klasse and is currently (as of 2020) in its seventh generation, which was first unveiled in 2017.

5-series is the second most popular car in the BMW lineup, and is responsible for significant portion of company profits. By 2009 BMW made and sold over 5 million 5-series cars. One interesting fact - current BMW naming convention (3-digit number followed by letters) started with the first 5-series cars in 1972 and continues, with few exceptions to this day.

For the longest time 5-series cars were pretty much ignored by model makers, and to some degree this remains the case even today. For years, the only models of the legendary Bavarian sedans were two color versions of E28 535i models by AUTOart, with the only M5 in existence also being AUTOart's E28 masterpiece.

And it is rather puzzling for such a successful vehicle. There are plenty of 3-series models, but much less 5ers. Partially this is explained by the lack of racing versions of the 5-series (aside from several rally cars and an odd race car here and there they were not used much for racing), and overall image as being more of a "family" sedans and not very exciting subject for the model car collectors. But situation has been steadily improving in the recent years, especially with resin manufacturers releasing several highly desirable M5 variants that were never released in 1/18th in the past.

5-Series Generations

E12: 1972 - 1981. Sedan
E28: 1981 - 1988. Sedan
E34: 1988 - 1996. Sedan/Touring
E39: 1996 - 2003. Sedan/Touring
E60/61: 2004 - 2010. Sedan/Touring
F07/10/11: 2010 - 2017. Sedan/Touring/GT
G30/31/38/F90: 2017 - Present. Sedan/Touring

E12

First generation 5 was produced by BMW from 1972 to 1981. Being completely new model at the time of its introduction, designers were playing it safe with the replacement of the beloved Neue Klasse sedans. Final design was penned by Paul Bracq, but it was highly influenced by 1970 BMW 2002ti Garmisch show car designed by Bertone.

E12 cars were initially released as the 520/520i 4-cylinder models (using power plants from the preceding Neue Klasse models), with 525 M30 straight-six engine coming a year later, followed by 528, 530, 533 and 535 models later in the production run.

In September 1976 E12 received a mild facelift. Gas tank door was moved to the side of the car and the taillights were widened. The hood received a slight "power bulge" which followed the lines of kidney grilles, and the dashboard vents were repositioned for better air distribution.

At the end of its production life, E12 could be ordered with "Motorsport" upgrades as a special order on 528/530 models. Upgrades consisted of 25% LSD, vented disc brakes, Bilstein shocks, Scheel or Recaro sports seats, sports steering wheel, light alloy wheels with lower profile tires, and optional front-rear spoilers.

Finally, there was an "official" Motorsport version called M535i, sporting a 3.5L engine with Motorsport front and rear spoilers, Recaro sport seats, close-ratio gearbox and LSD, larger brakes, Motorsport striping down the sides and front air-dam, and M1 steering wheel. It was produced in 1980 and 1981 with 1410 total cars made. The E12 M535i was the hottest E12 and is rightfully considered to be the predecessor to the legendary BMW M5. The E12 was replaced in Europe/North America by the E28 in 1981, although E12 production continued until 1984 in South Africa.

E12 in 1:18 Scale

For scale model collectors there isn't a huge selection to pick from, but we are in a much better position today than we were just a couple of years ago. And while the only model of the E12 we have is the "loaded" M535i in both resin and sealed diecast, it is still better than not having any models at all. Hopefully other versions of this great classic sedan will be made in the future. As of this writing, some pictures of the pre-facelift 520 made by MCG (Model Car Group) circulating around the net and due to be released in the first half of the 2020. Three colors are planned.

Otto resin is typical for models from this manufacturer, and while it is not the best or most detailed resin model, its rather accurate and nicely made. The model is available only in Alpine White. Paint quality is good, decals are correct, and interior detail is above average. Obviously sealed with no undercarriage detail, but solid effort nonetheless.

OttoMobile 1/18 BMW E12 535i Alpinweiss

For a couple of years, this was the only choice if you wanted an E12, but recently another French model maker Norev released a rather simplified sealed diecast of the exact same car. While some may argue this was a poor choice of prototype as the model already existed, Norev cars were rather inexpensive (to be fair, Otto models were not high-priced either).

Norev 1/18 BMW E12 535i Silver w/M-Stripe

Norev offering came in Alpine White and Silver with the M-stripes (I got the silver since I already had white Otto), and a couple non-striped variations. At first glance the car was mostly correct in shape and detail, even though it is a very simple model with no chassis detail, simplified interior, and only ok paint quality. Even the wheels don't steer. The model is rather light and honestly, feels like more like a toy than a model. It looks fine on sitting on the shelf, but if you can get your hands on Otto model, you can easily skip Norev with no regrets. I'm expecting Otto to hold better value anyway.

Few months later after initial release of the 535i with the M-stripes, Norev issued two other colors of the model without M-stripes - in black and bronze (which they call Gold).

Norev 1/18 BMW E12 535i Gold

Few years after the initial 535i offering, in 2017 Otto came back to E12 and released a nice Alpina B7 S Turbo model in dark Alpina blue with copper-colored stripes based on their M535i model. Overall, it is a very solid model with proper shape and mostly correct details. Excellent wheels and proper front and rear skirts and badging make it a very nice add to the collection - especially if you are a fan of the tuned BMW's from Buchloe.

OttoMobile BMW E12 Alpina B7 S Turbo

Otto E12 models

The front ends are almost identical on all models, though you can clearly see the difference between Alpina and 535's. Power bulge on the hood also suggests all of these are facelifted models.

Alpina rear spoiler is slightly different shape, but if not for the different badging you probably won't tell it apart from the regular 5er. Wheels on 535's are identical on Norev and Otto, but Alpina has an inch-up classic Alpina rims.

Headlights are slightly bigger on Norev models, and 535 badges are missing from the front - though the M-stripe version does have a old-style BMW logo on the air dam that Otto does not have. Otto interiors are way better than plain black Norev models. Alpina even has that classic wood shift knob.

Full E12 lineup in 1:18 scale

Sadly, there are still no full detail E12 available for 1:18 scale collectors. With tendencies of the manufacturers to release either resin or sealed metal models these days, chances are it will stay this way a while longer.

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
Return of the nerd!
Excellent series as always, and an enjoyable read in these difficult times.
The E12 and E28 do have some less high profile motorsport history.
The E12 was used for production based group 1 racing in Europe including winning the Spa 24 hours in 1977.
There were also a very small number of group 2 cars later in the 70's.
https://www.racingsp...530i.html?cat=4
The E28 was used in group A for around a year before the arrival into the class of the 635.
https://www.racingsp...528i.html?cat=4
I would like to see a 1/18th scale model of the '77 Spa winner to add to my small collection of these cars.
Even the E3 had some motor racing, mostly in pure production racing in the early 70's.

#36 ·
Loving the 2nd part of BMW history on E12
Yes you are right about MCG will be releasing the normal version of E12 and I think i will be in line to get one. I was thrilled when Ottomobile announced the E12 535i years ago and got one the moment they came out. Norev released the diecast version afterward. I am always curious to know if the Norev one shares the same mould as Ottomobile or both are built from ground up. Not sure if resin mold can be re-used for diecast or not though... I thought of that because it appears that Norev released a number of identical models that were initially made by Ottomobile one of the model came to mind is the Merc C123 coupe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.