DiecastXchange Forum banner

Hot Wheels Elite 1961 Ferrari 250 SWB

16K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  P A D 
#1 ·
Here is the new Hot Wheels Elite 1961 Ferrari 250 SWB in deep blue

The paint is very deep, almost zero orange peel (which is a feat in dark colors), and evenly applied (no bleed through).
This by itself would have made my day, BUT….
The engine! In my opinion, the BEST Hot Wheels has EVER done!!!! I know their 250 Cal's were really good but this is even one step above that. Absolutely gives the CMC 250 SWB a good run for the money.

If CMC were to release the 250 SWB today it'd probably cost $400 usd so to get this quality for ¼ of that price makes it the deal of 2012. Guys, I can't recommend this car enough.
I compared the two makers side by side (CMC in red, Hot Wheels in blue), you tell me if I am wrong.

I know some people thought that the Elite had "truck tires". They don't look any worse than CMC's imho. Also, the front ride heights are near identical. My guess is that Hot Wheels had the CMC in the office during development.

The rear ride height, is much higher on the Elite, not sure why and not sure who is more accurate.

The interior looks pretty good for the price and at minimum not a step back which is relief. They still need to work on the wood steering wheels.

The exhaust tips are fantastic and look every nearly as good as the CMC's and even have the red band which is found on the 1:1 and missing on the CMC

The front grill is photo-etched and one of the best ever, much better than on the 250 California's.

To me, the CMC earns a spot next to the Elite.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice pictures and comparison. I really want this model, but still unsure. The paint and overall exterior is very nice, but the interior does not look to par. My 410 makes this look like the foundation. Please let me know if I am wrong in this judgement, I hope I am. The engine is nice and the undercarrige is also very good. Nice add and I hope to add one some time soon.

#7 ·
the interior does not look to par. My 410 makes this look like the foundation.
I have the 410 Elite and non-Elite. Even the non-Elite 410 steering wheel beats the 250 hands down. However, look at the rest of your 410 dash, it is one color and just has black knobs. Whereas the 250 has a two-tone paint job, chrome trim piece and many gauges. So maybe they probably spent their production dollars on the rest of the dash and skimped on the wheel? so I can't say for sure which is the better interior overall, each has strong/weak points.

#6 ·
I still have to save for the CMC. Some of the details, wheels etc just reach that level of realism I look for. BUT, hands down, value wise the Hot Wheels is up there.

Also the engine compartments seem to have some significant differences. The Hot Wheels seems to have more "stuff" tucked along the fender whilst the CMC seems to be more realistic appearing.

#8 ·
Thanks for the great review & pics, Tony...this is one Ferrari I've really been looking forward to. The CMC is out of my price range, so I was thrilled to learn that HWE was doing it.

It looks very good. The quality of the wire wheels looks substantially better on either the 410 or 250 California. You're right about the engine, though...looks excellent.

Now to decide on color. I love this blue, but red is so tempting.

#9 ·
Yeah Gavin, I was just happy that Hot Wheels didn't screw it up. To have it exceed my expectations was just a bonus. If you aren't a 250 SWB zealot then I think the Hot Wheels is a solid alternative.

I am hoping they have some racing variants in the works!

#11 ·
Oh man Gavin, you just made my day! I am so happy someone is finally doing the Moss SWB. It's one of favorite liveried Ferrari's and I only have the 43rd.

It's nice to see they got details right like the dark roundels, tape on the headlights, comp gas filler. Here is a picture of the Amalgam SWB Moss, looks Hot Wheels did a pretty good job replicating in 1/18. I wish it sat lower though. But I can overlook that and maybe one day fix that.

Attachments

#15 ·
Brilliant comparison Tony - thanks!
(interior aside) Mattel seem to have pulled out the stops

Looks super in the racing trim....

#17 ·
I have the Elite 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso, and the engine is almost as good as this Elite. If you're into engine compartments, take a look at the Elite 250 California SWB livery #20. It is the one of the most spectacular engine compartment I've ever seen (the most impressive details are the little meshes covering these valve intake looking things and a bunch of tinly letters on caps and stuff).

#22 ·
You'll find interior SWB's all over the place, back in the day they were still very much bespoke to the owners taste. But I will say that the 250's I've seen in person or in mag's have been either black or tan. Having a red one is very much a 50's throwback and I like it! You could go crazy trying to pinpoint the exact 1:1 they used to model the replica, I say just sit back and enjoy it. I prefer the red!

#19 ·
Cool comparison Tony .... and fine shots .... still prefer the CMC .... that Moss version would be nice to have!!

#21 ·
Great review there Tony though is it me or does the HWE look a little narrower than the CMC - or is this due only to the darker hue making it seem slimmer?
The details look very good nonetheless.

Seeing the Moss TT winner released is awesome, like you I have wanted CMC to create one of their own but this will do nicely.

G
#26 ·
Amen Tony. Finally people are starting to realize that the recent Elites are worth their price and are no longer the toys made by the barbie maker they used to be.
I have two CMC 250SWB, a red street and the LM winner Comp. I would love to add the Moss car that I always wanted when it comes out.
Thank you for the great review and congrats for another truebread in your stable.
Now Mattel just need to do more "real" Ferraris.

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
A great review, especially the side to side comparison with HWE and CMC versions. My father (also a collector) definitely thinks it would better to hold out for the CMC version but my wallet made the HWE decision for me. It's good enough and better than most in my collection.After reading your opinions, I pulled the trigger and bought the HWE in blue which I think is a lovely and interesting colour.

Here's a real one:
http://www.flickr.co...46131/lightbox/

On the issues of the slight differences in here and there between the CMC and HWE versions, it's worth remembering that the the coach builder did everthing by hand and eye and judgement and no two 1/1 versions would be the same either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.