DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I have the Kyosho 250 GTO it's a race version with all the numbers etc and with the exhausts exiting at the sides under the doors. As nice as it is, I wanted a plain red road version and snapped up this HW model from Ebay. Obviously not in the same league as the Kyosho in terms of the quality of the parts and level of detail, so great for an upgrade project.

Visually the most obvious fault of the HW model is the short stubby nose as evidenced by this overhead view next to the Kyosho.
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Automotive lighting

I'm sure it would be possible to correct this with the use of putty to extend the nose, but I'm going to pass on that and live with the shape as it is, concentrating on adding improved details where necessary and as much extra detail as possible. The engine is one of the poorest I've seen on any of the models I've worked on so far and a lot of effort will be required in that area. As it comes, the wheels are not too bad being different and better mouldings than those on the HW 250 LM, but I will still replace them with a set from BBR.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Pardon the pun, but this image shows again the shortcomings of the HW nose end.

I found replacing the wheels not as straightforward as it was on the Bburago E Type Jaguar and HW 250 LM, as the tracking is very wide on the model as it comes. On the prototype, the front track is 1351mm (75.05mm in 1:18) and the rear 1346mm (74.77mm). To get a more realistic appearance it is necessary to move the discs and wheel mounting inwards front and rear, as well as lowing the ride height at the front and removing metal from the rear of the BBR hubs. Here the rear disks have been cut off the axle and are being filed to allow them to fit closer in. The HW stub axles are too small for the BBR hubs and are replaced with 3mm OD brass rod.
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Engineering Auto part

This shows how much metal needs removing from the BBR hubs. I did this with a round cutting burr in the mini drill and great care is needed to avoid damaging the spokes. I did have a slip up on one of the front wheels and broke a spoke, but fortunately it is not noticeable when in place on the car. Final finishing of the hub was done with a riffler file but even with that only very short strokes can be made.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Circle

After reducing the length of the axle inside the discs, I drill through to accept the 3mm rod. Holes were also drilled either side into the main axle and the disks refitted with short lengths of the brass rod glued into the main axle. With these mods, I found the tracking to have reduced to 80 mm which was still too wide for my liking.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Car

This image shows the 1st attempt at the rear with the front wheels replaced with the BBRs also. The front track was about 85mm at this point, even having removed metal from the rear of the BBR hubs.
Product Vehicle Toy Automotive lighting Hood

Therefore I removed the discs again and further material was filed off the rear as much as I dared without cutting into the bottom mount for the moulded shocks. I wasn't happy with the short lengths of brass rod and decided to replace the whole axle with a length of rod fitted through holes in the springs. This give a more robust fitting and after some adjustment I had reduced the track to 75mm.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

To reduce the front track requires modifying the front chassis frames as well as the suspension and steering rack.
Unfortunately I overlooked to take photos of the process but this image shows the completed chassis with both front and rear tracking reduced to 75mm. I cut off the front of the chassis frame just ahead of where the turn in straightens, cut off the front cross member and removed 2.5mm from either side, then refixed (drilled and pinned) with CA. The rear of the frames was prefixed to the chassis with 1.5mm brass rod and CA glue. The suspension mouldings with upper and lower wishbones incorporate the radiator which joins the left and right halves of the assembly at the front, with a cross member at the rear. The complete assembly has a locating hole either side to mount onto lugs on the front frame so also needs reducing in width by 5 mm. To increase the strength of the frame joints I flooded the joints with CA and immersed in water to get it to set quicker. This is the white residue seen in the image. These joints will receive further attention with filler and shaping to improve the appearance before painting. You can see the gap in the bottom of the radiator where I erroneously removed too much material, so I had to leave the gap when I rejoined with plasticard. The radiator was 35 mm over the width and I reduced this to 30 mm.
Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper

Heres a rear 3/4 image to compare to the earlier one when the rear track was still at 80 mm and the front at 85 mm +.

And a few more images as it is now.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Car

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

The 3 ear knock offs and air valves are of course still to be fitted.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

And compared to how it was with the HW wheels as it came.

I would really like to permanently fix the lower casting at the front to eliminate the joint but that will entail a repaint which is not my strong point. That said, I'm quite pleased with how the DB5 has turned out so far, so I'm undecided which way to go at the moment. Well see.

Cheers,
Peter

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I overlooked these three images taken with my phone, which illustrate the modifications made to the front frame and suspension to reduce the track width. This one shows where the frames were cut from the chassis and the shortened front cross member refitted with brass rod and CA glue. The U section of the frames are just right for 1.5 mm brass rod go be glued in place for refitting to the chassis.
Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Red Gas

This is the lower section of the wishbone assembly after removing the mid section. Plasticard strips glued inside for spacing and rejoining. As mentioned previously, I over did the cut so had to space the two halves to get a width over the radiator of 30 mm.
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

And the upper wishbone assembly which is asymmetrical due to the mount for the steering rod. When I get back to the model I'll take some further images with the body off to give a clearer idea of the completed process. Those slots in the top of the radiator are to allow clearance for the bonnet hinges, but as they are now closer together, the hinges foul the outer edges of the slots. I'll deal with that later.
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Auto part Tints and shades

Here are some more comparison images of the HW vs Kyosho. I think it will be clear in each case which model is which.
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

Note the very wide flange at the rear of the boot opening on the HW. It is in fact the actual thickness of the rear section and will take quite a bit of work to thin it down.

Vehicle Grille Automotive tire Car Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

I think I'm coming round to the idea of a full strip and repaint as with the filing in the boot and here at the front to remove the cast in side lights, the existing paint is bound to get chipped no matter how much I mask up the model. That means I can glue the lower front casting to the body and fill in the joint for a much better front end appearance.
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Automotive parking light

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Car

Clearly the HW model was used as a toy as evidenced by the rubbed down lower edges of the exhaust! Or do collectors zoom their models around on course surfaces ripping the bottom of them? 馃榿 I did once see a guy driving a Ferrari along a wide exceedingly pot holed canal tow path to avoid a stretch of road works on the Leeds ring road. He was zig zagging from side to side trying to avoid the deepest craters but was still scraping the bottom. Plonker!
Car Vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Steering part Motor vehicle Steering wheel Automotive exterior Vehicle

And finally the very spartan HW engine bay.
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Motor vehicle

Not really a fair comparison when you consider the price difference of these models but it gives a good idea of what I'm aiming for.

Cheers,
Peter

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although I have decided to strip and repaint the model, I began working on the body modifications whith the original paint on. As a guide to where the flange on the boot was to be reduced to, I scribed a line parallel to the edge with my spring bow dividers offset from the spoiler. As the boot lid is not detachable I used a strip of masking tape to prevent it from interfering with filing.
Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grille

After 45 minutes or so working with these.
Musical instrument Wood Idiophone Musical instrument accessory Flooring

The flange was now more acceptable.
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light

I had run out of Nitromors and my local Screwfix store did not supply it, so I used their "No Nonsense" brand which was much cheaper but worked just as well. Here's the front end after filing off the side indicators and grinding down the relief cast side lights.
Helmet Bicycle part Rim Automotive tire Wood

Car Automotive lighting Automotive design Wheel Motor vehicle

I found a seller offering spare door and boot handles for the 250 GTO on Ebay, so the cast handle has been filed off the boot lid.
Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Wood Tin

Bumper Gadget Composite material Rectangle Automotive exterior

Next, I attacked the blanked off rear brake air vents, first by drilling three 2mm holes then cutting through the metal between them and then filing. I would love to do this on my Kyosho model but it would be very difficult to avoid damage to the paint and I ain't repainting that!
Wood Bicycle part Fender Automotive exhaust Gas

It will make a big difference to the rear three quarter view of the model and it's a shame that HW and Kyosho didn't make the vents open to start with.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Car

Behold, the Silver Machine (Hawkwind 1972)
Wheel Vehicle Car Hood Tire

Cheers,
Peter

Registered
I really enjoy to follow your progress, Peter - thanks for allownig us to join you on your fascinating projects!!
Next, I attacked the blanked off rear brake air vents, first by drilling three 2mm holes then cutting through the metal between them and then filing. I would love to do this on my Kyosho model but it would be very difficult to avoid damage to the paint and I ain't repainting that!
Indeed it's a pity that Kyosho didn't open those rear break vents - even not on their so-called high end GTOs.
It seems only CMC did a good job here...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks Vulpex. I'm glad you enjoy the builds.

My Kyosho 250 GTO is a high end version, but from what I've seen there's not a lot to chose between it and the standard version. The vent behind the left hand door is also blind which is a shame and the bonnet straps, which many alude to as leather are in fact coated textile! I know this as the ones on mine were frayed when I bought it and I replaced them with some very thin leather cut from an old credit card wallet. I'm not a big fan of leather when used on seating as the 1:1 grain pattern is much too large, but for strapping I think it's better if you can find some that is thin enough. With hindsight, I would have preferred the dummy plastic straps of the standard model as the real straps are a real pain to buckle and unbuckle so I end up leaving them loose, which looks untidy.

As to the vent behind the door, fortunately not all the cars had them, so I don't need to go to the trouble of replicating it.

I'm replacing the moulded chromed headlamps with clear items so I've cut out the lamps and added a backing plate to the surround. As I'm glueing the lower front casting to the main body, the surrounds will be permanently fixed.
Metal Fashion accessory Auto part Rectangle Brass

Here they are in the car after glueing the the lower casting in place with epoxy and filling the gap. Some filling around the lamp surrounds was also necessary.
Wheel Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Car

I ground away the mould pips on the inside of the bonnet, but the one in the lower left hand corner was quite deep and needed filling.
Wood Eyewear Leather Fashion accessory Idiophone

And I've drilled a hole for the replacement catch on the boot lid.
Brown Communication Device Rectangle Wood Gadget

I'll be replacing the over scale bonnet catches with scratch built items, so the large holes for the moulded ones have been filled and re-drilled to accept smaller items after painting.
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

And primer has been applied.

Tire Vehicle Car Hood Wheel

Cheers,
Peter

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the front suspension unit after gluing and filling the gap in the radiator.
Toy Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Machine

Motor vehicle Toy Vehicle Wheel Machine

The chassis has also been extensively modified to give a better representation of the real thing.
Wood Triangle Automotive exterior Gas Engineering

After removing the superfluous and fanciful HW details, I used a mixture of styrene, brass and copper rod as appropriate, plus some brass 'U' section for the two stansions. The styrene parts are all drilled and pinned at the joints and the brass rod/stansions soldered with 145C solder. The stansions are fixed to the chassis with CA reinforced with a brass rivet. Brass rod is great for straight parts but at 1.5 mm OD is a little tricky to make bends, so then I switch to copper wire which is easier to shape. It comes in reels but is easy to straighten by cutting a lenght, roughly straightening in your fingers, then role it under a piece of wood on a hard surface. The brackets for the bracing struts on the axle were made from brass sheet. Again, the are fixed to the plastic with CA and a brass rivet for strength.
Road surface Motor vehicle Asphalt Wood Flooring

In the the cockpit, I removed the moulded triangles behind the seats and replaced with brass rod to represent the strengthening struts. There were two similar triangles at the rear of the transmission tunnel representing struts, but on the real car they are covered by an upswept cover. This was made from styrene card and then two further struts added either side. The cross bar at the front was wrongly represented with a sort of inverted T section and was too far back. The two forward extensions need to be closer together where they mount on to the front suspension, so the crossbar was replaced with brass rod, further forward and shorter than the original.
Machine Wood Metal Auto part Engineering

The strut in the passenger footwell has also been added.
Wood Toy Flooring Road surface Space

The fuel filler pipe looks like a peddle bin stuck in the corner and there is no interior to the boot.
Toy Wood Gas Automotive design Motor vehicle

First off I got rid of the peddle bin and the short panel on the right.
Toy Wood Flooring Gas Automotive exterior

And then built up the boot interior from plasticard with styrene tube for the fuel filler pipe.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Wood Bumper Flooring

And then did some spraying.
Combat vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Toy Vehicle

Engineering Motor vehicle Machine Starting pistol Plastic

And the same with chassis. The rear discs/shocks are not fixed on the axle yet as I need to paint the shocks. As I've modified the wheel hubs to get the tracking width correct, there's no room for the calipers, apart from these simple representations which will be picked out in metallic grey.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Toy Automotive exterior

Here's the two subsections together.
Vehicle Combat vehicle Motor vehicle Toy Hood

I widened the radiator with plasticard extensions either side and added the oil cooler. Both the radiator and cooler have a PE grill but they are not visible in this image.
Bumper Hood Motor vehicle Engineering Composite material

And some shots with the wheels on.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tread Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

And the body.
Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Hood

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Cheers,
Peter

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a better view of the radiator and cooler after painting.
Wood Flooring Gas Engineering Machine

I've made a start on improving the engine by reducing the width of the sump at the front, adding the missing lower part of the bell housing and filling the gaps in the transmission.
Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Circuit component Machine

And started making mods to the front end. It's still pretty rough and ready and needs further sanding and smoothing etc.
Engineering Machine Toy Automotive wheel system Auto part

I'm sticking with the original mounting of the engine which is the reason for the gap in front low down.
Circuit component Wood Electrical wiring Audio equipment Electronic engineering

A quick check in the chassis shows that the additions at the front clear the suspension.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Engineering Computer hardware Automotive wheel system

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Computer hardware Electronic component

Cheers,
Peter

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's is the engine front end after adding the drive and belt to the alternator, the oil filter plus pipework and caps.
Plant Auto part Fashion accessory Metal Machine

And the starter motor on this side.
Circuit component Passive circuit component Office equipment Motor vehicle Electronic engineering

And cooling pipes on this side and the rear, plus I've drilled holes for the plug leads.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Office equipment Computer hardware

It's starting to look a bit more business like now.
Engineering Auto part Machine Toy Nut

A dry run in the chassis showed parts of the suspension fouling the alternator so some chopping was needed to get clearance.
Wheel Motor vehicle Toy Automotive tire Automotive design

And all's clear with the with the sides and cross bar of the engine bay.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Electronic engineering

Here's the main block etc after priming and spraying with aluminium. The drive belt is a length of 0.5mm OD cable glued to the pulleys.
Wood Vehicle Motor vehicle Engineering Automotive wheel system

Gas Auto part Machine Automotive wheel system Scale model

And some shots with the rocker covers and carbs on.
Engineering Electronic engineering Electronic instrument Gas Computer hardware

Engineering Computer hardware Office equipment Electronic engineering Electronic component

Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Electronic engineering Electronic instrument

Motor vehicle Engineering Electronic engineering Machine Auto part

Engineering Machine Electric blue Auto part Fashion accessory

Next job is to make the distributors which I'll fasten to the rear of the rocker covers.

Cheers,
Peter

Attachments

Registered
Nice work!
For copper wire I look at areas where electricians are at work.
They usually throw away end cuts of electrical cable, which has solid core wire inside.
Depending on the size I need, I may or may not remove the coloured sleeve before use.
I have found it ideal for inserting into aluminium tube before using a bending tool when making exhausts.
The wire usually prevents any collapse - even if I am using more expensive brass tubes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts