DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've really been waiting for this model. The first pics looked very promising, then I was happy to find it at the local hobbyshop. I immediately bought it. My mood that day wasn't too good because of things. So when I unpacked it I somehow didn't like it. I put it next to the Enzo and it's like the MC12 is a totally different scale... In a bad mood I sold it right away, and now I feel a bit sorry. Well, enough blabla, let's get to business.

Exterior - Accuracy=7/10 Detailing=7/10
I really like how the exterior looks, especially the front. The headlights look good, except the plastic is a bit too thick, that distorts the lights from certain angles. The front logo is really nice too. The rear is good too, except for the painted brake lights. That really looks fake! The car comes with a detachable roof as well. The roof, engine bonnet and bumpers are plactic, but it seems to be of higher quality than for example the Enzo's bonnet. Overall the model looks way over scale, but then I realized the 1:1 is actually huge too...

Interior - Accuracy=7/10 Detailing=6/10
The interior is actually pretty good as well. All the bits and pieces are there, but they didn't add enough paint detail to the mid console. The steering wheel and seats look good, pedals are so so.

Engine - Accuracy=6/10 Detailing=6/10
The engine is average. About as good as the HotWheels Enzo engine. Theres a bit too much chrome in there, but I don't really mind. See for yourself:

Tires/Wheels - Accuracy=4/10 Detailing=6/10
This is definately the worst part of the model. The wheels are just WAY too big, especially the front ones. The tires are very very small, once again especially on the front. This really messes up the whole model a lot!

Brakes - Accuracy=8/10 Detailing=8/10
The brakes are really well detailed, good looking discs which rotate with the wheels. The calipers are even better, very nice looking, Maserati is written on them.

Undercarriage - Accuracy 6/10 Detailing 5/10
The undercarriage detail is simply not there, just like the F430, it's one piece of plastic with some shapes for the diffuser...

Paint - Accuracy=8/10 Detailing=8/10
HotWheels did a great job here. The color is awesome, not a thick layer like on most other HotWheels models. This is what makes the model look so good. Also the blue part is nice and smooth, very sharp paintjob.

Tampo/Decals - Accuracy=7/10 Detailing=7/10
The decals that are there are just nice quality, especially the badge on the front! Unfortunately the dials in the interior are a decal as well.

Overall=6.6/10
I think I'm gonna buy a new one afterall. The model is really good, HotWheels has shown again that they're willing to do better. The only problem with this MC12 is that it doesn't really display nice with any other models. It's just huge and the wheels make it look even bigger, but the length of the model is accurate... The removable hardtop adds to the fun as well. I'd say, if you like the MC12, this model will do just fine representing it!

Review added to the DX Model Review Database on 24-SEPT-2005

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Looks like Hot Wheels is making some strides in detailing their newest models :cheers

Thanjs for the great review!

Rico, if you do get another one, could you snap a pic with it next to the Enzo?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks nice! I would buy one only because it is when Ferarri and Maserati made cars together. On the other hand I dont know about the wheels but I could looks past that since the model is all ate up with wheel and motor! The paint look great which is a major suprise to me.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Has to be one of the ugliest supercars ever!
Will still get one though, it's a supercar after all...

When I first saw it some time ago, my instant reaction was "NOT THOSE WHEELS".
They are way too big and does look like the "playerz" collection.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
:iagree

This car is hideous in person :giggle
Looked like someone "customized" an Enzo in their garage with a single 60W bulb to see what they were doing.

But, I guess it is an important car :confused :lol

For $20, who cares! I willprobably end up with one myself :giggle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the review Mr Raisins.

The interior looks alright as does the exterior. in my opinion its the poor engine detail and oversized rims which do the damage.

:cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the review, I was on the fence about this model, but decided against it for the reason you mentioned. What will I display it with ? :giggle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems very good. I hate the painted-on brake lights and too-big front wheels, but, otherwise, it looks like a very nice piece! Great review and pics!

·
Registered
797 Posts
The UGLIEST CAR??? To each is own I guess :giggle . I truly think this is the sleekest super car ever made!!!!!!!! And is my favorate so can't wait to get it.

·
McLaren F1 guru
308 Posts
Man, that DOES look huge. But besides that, I think it looks incredible. The last 2 photos have completely sold me on it. I live how it's so low and how it looks like the proportions (besides the gigantic size) are excellent. Thanks!! :cheers

·
Wake Work Sleep
173 Posts
With HWs latest models the wheels are easily changeable with alot of other brands. Just switch these wheels with some enzo or dub city rims and everything will look alot better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just posted in another thread that this is my 1st 1/18 car, and the reason is that the design hits all the right buttons for me. I saw it live in Detroit and really dug it. :310 I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure. :mine Some people look at an OCC chopper and get all worked up whereas I think sportbikes are the ultimate in beauty.

P.S. Which model specifically would have the right sized wheels ?

·
McLaren F1 guru
308 Posts
Here's a picture comparing the Hot Wheels model (on the left) to the real thing (on the right) perhaps to help anyone who's on the fence over this, looks pretty good to me:
:tongue

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
from the comparison of the 1/1 and 1/18 pics, isn't the Hot Wheels a tad too long in the engine area? Or is it because of the angle of the pic?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I think its just the camera angle. I'm still awaiting for mine to be dropped at my doorstep. Seeing real pictures of the car, it acaully sits a little high off the ground to mabye 4-6 inches, not 1. Although it does look pretty neat.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
I got mine today and it's just :tongue :tongue :tongue

I'll post some pictures tomorrow along with my 3 other cars I got today.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts