DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how everyone else displays their cars and why?

I have a fairly small collection still ~50 cars so I can fit most of them in cases.

I like displaying them facing different directions, sometimes with doors and hoods open. The groups depend on the cabinet. One can fit 2-3 cars per shelf, the others up to 7 or 8. I typically group them by manufacturer (ie: all Porsches) or genre (muscle cars or GT cars or convertibles). I also try to rotate my collections whenever I get bored of them, sometimes weekly, sometimes monthly. Oh, and I sometimes display other stuff with the cars, like 1:6 scale engines or hats, or books.

Personally I don't care for having the models lined up straight, right beside each other. I realize it's the only option for some people tho, especially since I'd rather that than store them in the closet in boxes.

Here's some pics: (sorry for the poor quality, you get the idea tho)

This is my big glass case with supercars lined up on top and a mostly mopar garage on the bottom. The 250GTO and cobra don't really belong but the 250 is the only one I have with removable wheels and I've been dying to display it like that and just finally got jack stands.

This is a coffee table I built a few years ago. The glass is 1/2" (10mm) thick but all scratched up now, it'd be nice to replace it.

This is a real bad pic, the bottom shelf is a thunderbolt, SCJ428 mustang and 03 cobra 'vert w/ 1:6 427 SOHC. I particularly like this case because you can see the cars from all different angles and it still holds a decent number of cars.

This bookshelf is a bit of an abortion right now. I don't like havig the models out in the open because they get so dusty, I want to build a new home office desk and matching display cases then I can get the models off this shelf and have a place to put those small acrylic displays.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Hi, I have all my cars in 6 similar cabinets...most of the cars are lined up next to each other and pointing in the same direction. Reason for this is simply the number of cars (now 205) I would be quickly out of space if I would give them a desorganised look I think...

I display them according to the year of release of the 1:1

btw..I like your garage set up on the first picture...

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Here's how I display mine:

1/18 street muscle cars in one cabinet
- organized by 1:1 manufacturer and then sub-organized by year

1/12 race motorcycles & 1/18 race muscle cars in another cabinet
- organized by 1:1 manufacturer (i.e. all Ducatis together, all Yamahas together) and then sub-organized by year

1/18 street motorcycles in another caninet
- organized by 1:1 manufacturer then by sub-organized by type (i.e. sport bike, touring bike, dirt bike, etc...), then by engine displacement

1/18 race motorcycles in my entertainment center
- organized by 1:1 manufacturer (i.e. all Ducatis together, all yamahas together) and then sub-organized by year

All are facing at an angle with doors, hoods, etc... closed.

:cheers
Sean

·
Registered
536 Posts
My cabinets determine how my cars are displayed. Most of my cars are in IKEA Bertby cabinets or some CD/DVD storage units I got from Target. Because of their limited depth, the cars have to sit parallel to the wall. I usually keep them closed unless there's something special to show, like the doors on my CMC MB SLR.

I also have some IKEA Detolf cabinets. Due to the size of some of the cars, I have no choice but to line them up side by side. Some cars, like the 911, are short enough for me arrange them differently, but still nothing too fancy as I need to get as many on the shelf as I can.

G

·
Most of my shelves have the models pointing one direction while the next shelf have models pointing the other direction.

With the exception of one or two shelves, I don't have any models point straight out.

I also have a few display stands that allow me to display models propped up.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Ikea Billys with 5-6 cars per shelf all going the same way. This is an old picture of less than half my displays.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I have my collection categorised into a number of main groups with lots of sub-groups within each group, and I tend to display the relevant models together. Hence my "exotic" cars get lined up alongside my "Le Mans" cars and so on.

Due to the size of my collection (around 800 models all 1:18th) I don't have much choice in how I display them, so they do tend to be lined up in rows on my shelves.

All my models are boxed up at the moment awaiting the completion of a garage conversion and extension to our house (nearly complete!) which includes a new home office/model car room for me. This will give me far more display room than ever before but I decided to thin out the collection a bit and I've sold around 40 models in the past3 months and plan to sell about 30 more. Not quite 10% but it will greatly improve my collection I think. :cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.