DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you make gull wing doors from a normal opening doors that open out not up if you know what i mean?
just wondering how hard it would b cause i would'nt mind trying this out on a cheap model and see how i go also can u close and open them? or would they b open all the time? photos or tutorials would b helpfull also
cheers
ben

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i not sure if i would do it 2 a model just wondering if it has ever been done and not done as in came like that i ment changed to the gull wings

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is how its done on the Elfin Streamliner (real car) maybe it could be set up similar on a model?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RichardM said:
Dremel with a cutting bit and some duct tape. :lol
That sounds like my hero's - Red Green's - approach. Except, he would probably make them mechanically controlled by the windshield wipers or something. :lol :lol :lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rat said:
RichardM said:
Dremel with a cutting bit and some duct tape. :lol
That sounds like my hero's - Red Green's - approach. Except, he would probably make them mechanically controlled by the windshield wipers or something. :lol :lol :lol
And they'd flop around less than an AUTOart Murci. :lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i take this as you can't do it unless you r the maker of the diecast and can build the stuff for it then make it work

what if i got the hinges off another car?

·
Registered
692 Posts
holden_kid said:
i take this as you can't do it unless you r the maker of the diecast and can build the stuff for it then make it work

what if i got the hinges off another car?
You can always try it out and i'm sure lots of us would like to see it :happy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i not wanna b the 1st to try it out
allan u got over 1500 models u wanna try it out :WTF
:giggle :nutkick

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
The biggest issue I see is how to re-attach structural elements to a die cast body/frame. I have tried JB Weld, for example, but I do not think it will work in the shear/stress plane that would be required to retain a hinge, especially one expected to carry weight. If you look at a lot of diecast models, they approach this situation by having a pin as part of the die cast part, and then deform the top of the pin through a hole in the hinge or similar device. If the attaching point is hidden, you could drill a hole and use a small screw, or nut and bolt arrangement.

Good Luck!

:confused

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
ibj40 said:
The biggest issue I see is how to re-attach structural elements to a die cast body/frame. I have tried JB Weld, for example, but I do not think it will work in the shear/stress plane that would be required to retain a hinge, especially one expected to carry weight. If you look at a lot of diecast models, they approach this situation by having a pin as part of the die cast part, and then deform the top of the pin through a hole in the hinge or similar device. If the attaching point is hidden, you could drill a hole and use a small screw, or nut and bolt arrangement.

Good Luck!

:confused
:iagree
I think JB Weld or Durepoxi are only good for none structural parts, like let's say filling a hole or even gluing a panel. But to use them on a hinge would not be a very good way, since I don't think the would hold. The only way I see of fixing or creating hinges would be by making a hinge and glueing the whole mechanism to the body or soldering the hinge in place. But to solder zamac is no easy task.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts