DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how important is it to complete a series?
Not satisfied with just one1220.00%
Somewhat important2338.33%
Not important at all1931.67%
One is enough610.00%

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Just wondering how important or even at all important to complete a series of models.

I know Felix, Kurt and Jim have an awesome collection of Vipers.

Luciano has a full set of Saico bikes.

Tom has an incredible 21 McLaren F1's.

Malik has a extensive set of HRT's.

Ronan has the elusive trio of Porsche GT3R's and CMC's.

Smart Brabus with the Mini's.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture :lol

·
Registered
817 Posts
Not that important for me either.. I buy whatever grabs my attention and if they're cheap enough to make a set ill try for it :).
Eg: I have 4 diff coloured Ford BA Falcon XR8's in 1:18 and need the blueprint blue to finish the set of all colours released! Maybe tommorrow :) :giggle

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Although I have quite a few Viper GTS-Rs, it never had been my intent to collect them all (and still isn't). One might just think otherwise :giggle :giggle

Factors (in no particular order) that compel me to buy a particular diecast are:
- livery
- body shape of car
- historical significance of 1:1

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I wouldn't say it's important, but it's very nice to have the complete series. For instance, it would be friggin' awesome to have all the W-series from CMC, but I would be satisfied enough if I hade just two or three more.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I would love to own a few more mclarens in different liveries, but i am just as happy to have one like i do now. It also depends on the level your collection is at. In the beginning, all i could think was to collect as many models of different kinds i could afford to. As the collection matures, i wouldnt mind buying the same car in different liveries if i like them. Coz i think every livery lends its own charm to the shape of the car.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Somewhat important for me I guess! I have broad tastes when it comes to my 1:18ths, so trying to complete a series of models left right and centre would be even more costly than my collecting habit already is, so I do try to be a bit selective. Sometimes it almost happens by accident, like it did with my Sauber C9s, but sometimes I do have an intent to collect certain cars, such as LeMans or Bathurst winners. I do like the "themes" which run in my collection though, (LeMans cars, CanAm cars, Bathurst cars, etc) which gives my collection some shape I like to think! :cheers

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It's not the driving force behind my collection, but it can be fun to get the complete set of SELECTED topics...

For example, I have all the CMC W-cars, all the Beanstalk FordGTs, all the Maisto Audi R8s, all the Hot Wheels Enzos, and am going for all the Minichamps Rossi and Biaggi bikes. But, I am not going to get every Exoto Cobra, or GT40, or Sauber, or Grand Sport. So, go figure...

:danbanna :danbanna :danbanna :danbanna :danbanna

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good question. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to start buying things, so I really have to reign myself in. Usually once I start buying one model, I want to complete the series. It isn't something I purposely set out to do, but well, things happen.

I won't be happy with the 330/412P series until I have them all. I look at the 4 CLKs I have and think that they would love some more company. Usually, I can stop myself, especially in the new non-Ferrari world that I've entered. But as far as Ferraris go, I won't be happy until I have all of the Minichamps F1 cars they made, ditto for the Hot Wheels F1 cars. So I would say it is definitely a little above somewhat important, but not "need it no matter what" level for me.

Right now, I'm just buyinh what I like. Soon, I'll get back on track and finish a few of the series I've started.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
It doesn't matter to me at all. I'm sated by one car out of a series. After that, I'd just be spending $$$ for cars with a different color and stickers. :mine

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I voted not important....but then I look at all my top fuel cars and just grin. So I lied! :nutkick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TifosiF1 said:
Good question. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to start buying things, so I really have to reign myself in. Usually once I start buying one model, I want to complete the series. It isn't something I purposely set out to do, but well, things happen.

I won't be happy with the 330/412P series until I have them all. I look at the 4 CLKs I have and think that they would love some more company. Usually, I can stop myself, especially in the new non-Ferrari world that I've entered. But as far as Ferraris go, I won't be happy until I have all of the Minichamps F1 cars they made, ditto for the Hot Wheels F1 cars. So I would say it is definitely a little above somewhat important, but not "need it no matter what" level for me.

Right now, I'm just buyinh what I like. Soon, I'll get back on track and finish a few of the series I've started.
:iagree

I've managed to get all 6 of the 1/18 R8's and now my goal is to get all of the /43 Minichamps versions. I have 20 and still that'sonly about 1/2 of them. I was trying to get all the Audi iisued ones, but now I'm focused on just getting them. I do also want to get all 4 ALMS 1/18 M3 GTR's(have 1) and all 4 ALMS 1/43 M3 GTR's (have 3). I'm also trying to complete my Paul Tracy 18's and my 1/12 Rossi's(need the 2000).

Geez, that is a bit of OCD isn't it? :lol :lol

I will also pick up other pieces along the way. :wink

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
StygianMax said:
Although I have quite a few Viper GTS-Rs, it never had been my intent to collect them all (and still isn't). One might just think otherwise :giggle :giggle

Factors (in no particular order) that compel me to buy a particular diecast are:
- livery
- body shape of car
- historical significance of 1:1
:iagree

I have 7 McLarens from 95-98 consecutively that I got mainly for their historical significance (overall and podium Le Mans winner and finishers and a championship runner-up). I also have the silver F1 and orange GTR that I considered musts and got them mainly for their exclusivity and because they look so damn COOL!

Recently though, I purchased a re-released (??) Maisto silver F1 just to be able to compare it to my UT... :giggle

... and I'm still looking for a dark grey F1 but nothing too affordable yet. :crying

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
It's only important to me for Skyline GT-R roadcars and Toyota F1 1:43 racecars. With them, I need them all. *Note use of term need as opposed to want. :giggle

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Die cast is like potato chips, you can't just do one. In my mind, completing the set is the goal. I really hate to buy a one-off, and then see it's mate, and not have it in my collection.

Auto Art Vipers -

UT Porsche 911 gt2's -

UT and Maisto 911 GT1's -

or how about a theme - Essex Wire Ford Racers

:yahoo

·
1039 and counting
339 Posts
Its very important with Race/Rally cars, because they all represent their own piece of history in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts