DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The model is fairly common and not that expensive, plus all ends well, so no exciting story here. Just figured I'd share the pics as it's kind of amusing how bad a job some people do at packing delicate models.

I saw on eBay a UT Models Impala SS for $59 USD + $15 shipping. Pretty good price compared to completed auctions and it fits my collection of big sedans.
There was just 1 photo, and it was awful. Seller said it was the camera's fault.
Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel

I asked the seller if it had any cosmetic blemishes, since obviously I couldn't go by his pic. He said he got it brand new and stuck it immediately in the case and it had never been removed. Perhaps best practice dictates one should pass by an auction with a single garbage pic, since that requires depending solely on the seller's word. However, eBay always sides with buyers on disputes, so I figured worst case scenario, I can file Not As Described and return it at seller's expense. I offered him $50 and he accepted. Total coming out to $65 shipped, which I thought was really good considering it came with a case (they cost $25 on Amazon).

A few days later, I received the package. The contents inside were loose and sliding around. Oh dear. I might be a packaging snob, because duct-taped and handwritten addresses on cut out pieces of notebook paper added to the worry. I don't normally photograph my packages before opening, but this one made me think, "maybe I'd better take pics of this one".
Floor Flooring Road surface Gas Rectangle

I opened the package and as suspected, minimal packaging. Literally just one sheet of newspaper laying on top.
Rectangle Floor Wood Art Flooring

Removed the piece of newspaper. Case loosely dropped in the box and the car loose in the case.
Wood Art Font Banknote Handwriting

I carefully lifted the top off the case and the single page of newspaper in it to find the car laying on its side loosely wrapped in bubblewrap.
Couch Rectangle Floor Sofa bed studio couch

After unwrapping the car, I found the driver side mirror pushed in and part of the roof covered in circular shaped scuffs arranged like bubblewrap. Who would have thought bubblewrap can scratch paint? I had no idea. No other damage or even dust anywhere else though, so I think seller was telling the truth when he said it'd been in the case since new. I was very happy about that!
Automotive parking light Car Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

Took about 15-minutes of hand polishing with 3M compound, but I was able to get the roof scuffs out. The mirror busted off when I tried to pull it out (no surprise), but a little glue will fix that. The case on the other hand, came out in bad shape. The car had knocked about a lot, and even through the bubblewrap, the case got scuffed quite badly inside as well as having a lot of scratches outside and some melted-in tire treads from a model that was placed on top. I didn't think to take pics of the case cover, but it was pretty bad. A couple hours worth of buffing with a rotary tool got it looking quite nice. My wife was shocked, she didn't think it was salvageable.

Now model and case are looking quite good, so all turned out well in the end.
Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Car

I did mention to the seller that the side mirror had broken off, but I didn't ask for any compensation. Funny thing is he said he's shipped a lot of models and this is the first one that's ever broken. Wow, the way he packs them, I find that really, really hard to believe.

Registered
Who would have thought bubblewrap can scratch paint? I had no idea.
Same with those styrofoam box filler balls, they can also really scratch the paint of a scale model

I once bought an AUTOart model in such a 'window box'. The seller filled the 'window box' with those styrofoam balls to avoid the door, bonnet, boot lid, etc. opening/closing during transport, but w/o first wrapping the model in some proper protective material.

When I took the model out of the window box to check it upon receipt, it was completely scratched.

Registered
Some people couldn't pack a sandwich into a lunchbox, even if their lives depended on it.

I've come to that conclusion because I also received my fair share of that sort of packaging.

The last one was in September. Apparently, the imbecile who packed the model couldn't be bothered taking the wheelie bin out for collection, because he sent me all his rubbish as padding, including (but not restricted to) one empty carton of orange juice and stained tissue paper, among 20 different colors of shredded plastic grocery bags and empty onion packaging nets - with the onion dried skins in it. I should've taken a picture, but believe me: it was disgusting and smelled just as bad. :sick:

The model arrived ok, to my surprise.

Administrator
Some people couldn't pack a sandwich into a lunchbox, even if their lives depended on it.

I've come to that conclusion because I also received my fair share of that sort of packaging.

The last one was in September. Apparently, the imbecile who packed the model couldn't be bothered taking the wheelie bin out for collection, because he sent me all his rubbish as padding, including (but not restricted to) one empty carton of orange juice and stained tissue paper, among 20 different colors of shredded plastic grocery bags and empty onion packaging nets - with the onion dried skins in it. I should've taken a picture, but believe me: it was disgusting and smelled just as bad. :sick:

The model arrived ok, to my surprise.
It amazes me how sellers think that's acceptable!! If you complain to them, they get angry :rolleyes: They must live in a pig sty!! They get even more angrier when you slam them with really poor feedback.

Reactions: cwbs

Administrator
@GnatGoSplat

Yet another seller with no idea on how to pack a model. You're lucky it sort of arrived in one piece. It could have arrived in several! I see that it has turned out well, but you shouldn't have had to to any of that. Be careful when re gluing the door mirror - use a small dab of glue on a toothpick / cocktail stick, and do not use superglue.

• Helpful
Reactions: GnatGoSplat

Registered
It amazes me how sellers think that's acceptable!! If you complain to them, they get angry :rolleyes: They must live in a pig sty!! They get even more angrier when you slam them with really poor feedback.
I know! I was almost afraid to touch anything or even breath too close to the parcel and catch something nasty. Even though the model and box looked almost new.

I figured writing to him would get me nowhere, it was quite some job to get him to give me the tracking number to start with...

Administrator
The worst type of seller!! :mad: I often wonder how / why some are in this hobby. Sure if they inherited them they probably don't know about them (packing is generally common sense though) but if they're a collector, they bought them so you'd think they'd show more care!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts