DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting in front of P427 thinking about what other details I could squeeze in it. Then I thought why not try to put some springs in the suspension? The first thing I obviously thought about was to find and use a real small spring. But where to find a spring in the right pitch, thickness and diameter? So that won't do. That's when my overhead light came loose and hit me in the head, and I "saw the light" (literally)
. Why not use some "make-believe" springs with colored wire? And I had the perfect wire for that.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I cut these small pieces of then wire (used a lot by the Telefone Company around here) and just twisted 'em around the original "plastic" spring. And voilá, a 1:18 with springs in the suspension (or at least it looks nice). :nicejob

Don't know if this would be useful to anybody, but maybe some one can benefit from the falling of my head lamp.

G

·
I take it you've done this before :lol

That looks great :nicejob

you've really got me hooked on this project :cheers

Please keep up the good work and if there is anything I can you out on, let me know. :cheers

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
StygianMax said:
That looks awesome LUW!! Those are great "how-to" pictures. :happytwo

Do you glue the ends of the wire to the plastic shock to keep it from "unwinding"?
No, it's a soft wire. I thought that it would be necessary, but in the end it stayed perfectly still, and since it will be out of the way...

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
LUW said:
StygianMax said:
That looks awesome LUW!! Those are great "how-to" pictures. :happytwo

Do you glue the ends of the wire to the plastic shock to keep it from "unwinding"?
No, it's a soft wire. I thought that it would be necessary, but in the end it stayed perfectly still, and since it will be out of the way...
Thanks for the info LUW. :cheers

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
When I was racing, we had a number of different spring and shock combinations for the car. The shocks had numbers on the body, so we knew what their specifications were, the springs were different colors, so that we could, at a glance, tell what their rating was. If you are using TelCo wire, then you could make an entire season's worth of springs!

Great Idea!

:cool

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
ibj40 said:
When I was racing, we had a number of different spring and shock combinations for the car. The shocks had numbers on the body, so we knew what their specifications were, the springs were different colors, so that we could, at a glance, tell what their rating was. If you are using TelCo wire, then you could make an entire season's worth of springs!

Great Idea!

:cool
Great insight ibj40! :cool

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SilentHobbes said:
They look :cool .
You didn't get bruised too bad did you?
Nah, it's not a heavy light. :lol

I'm glad you guys liked my idea. :cheers

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Was the light ok after hitting you :lol :lol

Those springs look great :nicejob :cheers

G

·
Damn thats just given me the next move on my new project (when i get the ones Im doing finished first) but seriously theyren better than some of the spring details I have seen opn some of my models

Good job and I really enjoying this project

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Max and Ben! :cheers

And yes Max, the light is alright. That bastard! It's the second time it gets me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts