DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I would like to know how to remove easely the paint on the plastique bumper?

Thanks!

Jeff_s2k :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Max Power!!

To Thorst13 What kind of brake fluide, you talks about DOT3 brake fluid?

Thanks!

Jeff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you live in the US, I use Westley's Bleech-Wite tire side-wall cleaner. Won't harm the plastic, but takes overnight. A bit less toxic than brake cleaner, and ... you can use it on your actual car tires. I buy the large 1/2 gallon size instead of the spray - cheaper and just pour a bit into a sandwitch or similar plastic container with lid - then you can leave it inside w/o smell while it works.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Although I have never tried this myself, I have heard that soaking it overnight in plain vinegar will do the trick. Very cost effective and apparently does not damage the plastic at all.

Can anyone else confirm this ??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after 3 hours of reading old post in the "Custom Resources" thread this one is the only post I found that gave me some insight to my current issue. Almost all the post were interesting or entertaining and gave me many things to think about for other projects. I guess I should plan some more time to read some more old post :confused

OK, back to the issue at hand!

I am a bit :scared of this one, while I have taken paint off of diecast in the past I have never removed the paint from the plastic parts for fear of melting. So before I stick my plastic bumpers from an $80 AUTOart in a bath of brake fluid or Westley's Bleech-Wite are these the best way to go :feedback Has anyone tried it? Do the parts have to be scrubbed while in the bath? Does the plastic get soft? If you cant tell I am a little on edge with this one :help So any feedback would be very helpful and some what calming. :dizzy

·
Registered
462 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I had the same problem as you. I tried the Bleech white, but it didn't work that well. The brake fluid however did work. I didn't soak it though, I rubbed the tampos off like with NPR . It takes a little longer to remove the tampos compared to NPR on metal . I did try soaking them for 2 hours , but it damaged the paint. If you just scrub them off with the brake fluid , they come right off, won't hurt clear plastic either. I posted a pic here - http://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/index...topic=29675&hl=

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the same problem as you. I tried the Bleech white, but it didn't work that well. The brake fluid however did work. I didn't soak it though, I rubbed the tampos off like with NPR . It takes a little longer to remove the tampos compared to NPR on metal . I did try soaking them for 2 hours , but it damaged the paint. If you just scrub them off with the brake fluid , they come right off, won't hurt clear plastic either. I posted a pic here - http://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/index...topic=29675&hl=
[post="541834"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Thanks Scott, :cheers But I am trying to remove the paint from the plastic bumpers and rear wings. I'm just looking for the best way to do this without the parts melting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.