DiecastXchange Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
But we need more Lamborghinis! We don’t have enough Lamborghinis!

I would love to see more trucks / SUVs from the 80s / 90s, or just more less commonly made cars from that era. I can think of a few different cars I don’t recall being made yet. There are many 80s-90s cars that either were never represented, or don poorly.
The Islero and Jarama in 1/18 is definitely desirable

·
Registered
199 Posts
CMC is the only high quality Diecast Model manufacturer left, as much as we disapproved of Ex** they made excellent models---GMP/Acme isn't even close, someone step up and fill the void please.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I am encouraged by the re-issuing of older open diecasts, even if they are not to the highest modern standards.
There are quite a few models I missed for one reason or another, and that are now too expensive to get hold of.
So my hope is that many such models make a comeback.
This I think is a realistic hope, if companies want to exploit older tooling to feed those of us who don't like sealed items, resin or metal.
I would also like to see more plain undecorated motorsport subjects, with aftermarket decal suppliers offering new schemes (open diecast!).

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Racers - more racers. It's obvious that the bulk of collectors are delighted with the over-abundance of McLambozon911s but throw some of us others a bone, ferchrissakes! There is still a plethora of classic race cars from multiple race series over the past seventy years that only the 1/43rds collectors are offered and when the occasional large scale version comes out it's resin, sealed and they only produce 150 of them. Pay attention to the marketplace where you see those 150 scarfed up like they were diamond-plated and when the few come up for resale, they pull in a bundle. If that doesn't indicate there is a market for such models, I don't know what does!

As AAR Gurney already pointed out, we need an ethical replacement for Exoto to fill the gap in full-featured diecast race cars - and I'm not talking about boutique-level $600 - 1200 models; I can't imagine NO ONE wants to go there...

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Racers - more racers.

Ahhhhh, music to my ears!
A re-run of the GMP Lola T70 series (I have only the spyders, no closed versions).
A return of the 1969 Sunoco Camaro.
Some of the range of later era TransAm cars, such as the Roush Mustangs.
I could easily go on. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I know the following thought might not be popular, but in principle the current hobby situation should reflect the market demand. If there is a huge need to change, there will be a change eventually.

I'm satisfied with my collection. I'm not unhappy with the current hobby situation.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Like other collectors, I'd like some re-release. There are many models released years ago that now I would buy.
I know this would affect the current market price of other models I have, but I'd like best more availability for everyone.

About market and demand, yes, but it's not a perfect match, and... we are the demand. :)

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Like other collectors, I'd like some re-release. There are many models released years ago that now I would buy.
I know this would affect the current market price of other models I have, but I'd like best more availability for everyone.

About market and demand, yes, but it's not a perfect match, and... we are the demand. :)
Agreed. More importantly, no one has the right to prevent additional copies of an out-of-production item to be manufactured except the original creator or artist - who should ALWAYS receive royalties from any money someone makes using their intellectual property. The fact that someone's 20-year-old model suddenly isn't worth what it was before because more have been made shouldn't be anyone's concern.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Nice suggestions. While I agree with customisation options and touch up paints, that could bring the price up, which we don’t want.

More broadly speaking, it would be nice to see is more manufacturers having a presence on sites like this to actively communicate with us, as we do with the chap from Solido. It makes you feel you’re being listened to, and if there’s something we don’t understand, they can explain it to us.
One idea to keep costs down while maintaining the idea of touch up paint, is for the boxes the models come in to post the type of paint and code used on each model so we model collectors would know which kind of color to purchase for touch up purposes

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
One idea to keep costs down while maintaining the idea of touch up paint, is for the boxes the models come in to post the type of paint and code used on each model so we model collectors would know which kind of color to purchase for touch up purposes

+1 from me on that idea!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I’m not sure if I like the rerelease thing. If I’ve searched for years for a holy grail (isn’t that part of the fun?) and pay a premium when I get it, I don’t really want to have a reissue come out and devalue it. I’d be ok with maybe a resin version (like AAs 2000GT) so as to keep the original diecast more collectable.

Id also like to see prices come down a bit as with resin now, they really seem overpriced

QC could be a bit better but I haven’t had too many issues

and a solution for paint rash…..

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I’m not sure if I like the rerelease thing. If I’ve searched for years for a holy grail (isn’t that part of the fun?) and pay a premium when I get it, I don’t really want to have a reissue come out and devalue it. I’d be ok with maybe a resin version (like AAs 2000GT) so as to keep the original diecast more collectable.

Id also like to see prices come down a bit as with resin now, they really seem overpriced

QC could be a bit better but I haven’t had too many issues

and a solution for paint rash…..
i think what you have said reflects the current reality of things. i.e. the highly sought after AR Tipo 33 Stradale by Autoart... it doesnt look like Autoart is planning to re-release it and so far only Laudo-racing announced to make the identical model but in sealed resin form. And i think the same can be said about many other in demand older models that used to feature full opening.

But there can be cases where re-release of the identical model with or without improvement can potentially hurt the perceived market value i.e. the Autoart Skyline R34 GTR.. I know once upon a time those were absolute gold and people were snatching them up left and right if they are priced around $300 but eversince the re-release is out I can see the original R34 listing still up for many months. Potentially buyers skip the older release and just go for the new re-release one since they are more or less the same in price.

My focus on this hobby isn't about return of investment so the above doesn't bother me as much as long as when it comes to the time where i decide to part with this hobby and sell them on to the next collector i will at least be able to get the money i put into them back. The same can't be said about most hobbies though... unless i collect rare Legos too :)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I’m not sure if I like the rerelease thing. If I’ve searched for years for a holy grail (isn’t that part of the fun?) and pay a premium when I get it, I don’t really want to have a reissue come out and devalue it.
I agree, even though I myself would benefit from reissues of models I still don't have, such as AA's McLaren F1 for example.

On more or less that same note, I'm anxiously waiting for a certain German retailer to unearth the next AA relic stash, and hoping it will be the F1 - that will be good news for me, but pretty bad for people who exchanged internal organs for one recently...

·
Registered
402 Posts
I’m not sure if I like the rerelease thing.
I agree, even though I myself would benefit from reissues of models I still don't have, such as AA's McLaren F1 for example.
I'm mixed on this. On the one hand I like the exclusivity of some diecasts. On the other hand, not being able to obtain good examples of certain cars without paying a small fortune is agonizing. And unfortunately the list is quite extensive with many great cars seemingly unavailable.

I do like what Classic Carlectibles does which is to release one variation of a diecast only once (usually a specific colour) and later on (sometimes years later) issue another exclusive variation. They've issued 6 variations of their RHD '66 Mustang between 2003-2020 for example. I feel this might be a fair balance between exclusivity and availability as the older releases may still appreciate.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts