DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wanted your input and thoughts on this subject:

On ebay or through any other website/store, how can there be such different prices for certain models?

I ask this because sometimes I am hesitant in purchasing a diecast at an extreme bargain in fear of it being damaged or possibly fake? I'm not talking about a few dollars here and some change, but, for instance, 30-40 dollars difference on a sub $100 dollar item. I've come across a few of these and opted for the more expensive one and sometimes I wonder if I should have done otherwise.

I guess the question really comes down to, how much do retailers actually buy these models at? This just doesn't follow some simple economic principles I've known.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Good question eddwin, and something I've often wondered too.

Firstly, I think with online resellers they don't have the overheads of a bricks and mortar store. Maybe they have a warehouse and a pc and that's it. So they're able to sell at cheaper prices because of that.

Another possibility is that resellers are working on low margins and high volume, or selling some diecast at a loss in the hope that people will buy two or three or more items at a time (and making some profit of the other items).

Lastly, it may be possible that resellers are buying in huge lots at a big discount from the manufacturer or distributor - thereby being able to offer items at very low prices.

I know for my local store, that the owner only ever buys in relatively small amounts (sometimes one or two items only) so he's not able to offer the prices that can be found on the net.

I guess when buying online there's always a risk as you're trusting the seller with your cash or credit details and also trusting them to honour the transaction. I haven't been stung yet but for every good story about online shopping there's a bad story too. I generally trust webstores and eBay sellers who have been online for a while and have a good feedback rating. Having said that though, the majority of my purchases are still from my local shop because I get piece of mind by seeing the model before I buy it.

:cheers

Mark

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
eddwin, something else you have to realize is, sometimes a retailer just wants to get rid of some models...maybe it's old stock that's not moving, maybe they just need to reduce their inventory, whatever.

As for ebay, I think most people here who shop there regularly will tell you that if you're patient you'll eventually get some great deals. It's a lot harder if you're looking for a specific model, but if you're happy to just add a model you like, sooner or later you'll pick some up for a small fraction of their actual value. One thing to watch out for, some sellers pad the price with very high shipping charges. If there isn't a specific price listed, always confirm it with the seller, and adjust your maximum bid accordingly i.e. if seller A charges $10 more for shipping than seller B, be prepared to bid $10 less for seller A's item.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
As for ebay, I think most people here who shop there regularly will tell you that if you're patient you'll eventually get some great deals.
I agree with the above.

So far as for good bargains, I haven't too much online, but I have seen some great deals. I opt for the lowest possible price assuming it's a model I want and it's a color that I like. I also always message about shipping before bidding.

I guess it's all up to demand or market saturation or something.

Let me give you an example. Just recently I bought a BMW M3 GTR by Minichamps from a person that lives in same town as me, so it was a local pick up. I got this model quite cheap, $40 US to be exact. I did some reasearch before snatching it, and it seems that other M3 GTR's (maybe not the same colour) have gone for buy it now's at $60 to $70, even $75-$80 in some cases, so I was happy with my deal.

When I got the model in person, I talked to the guy for a bit, and he told me that people don't buy his stuff on eBay. He told me he had the #29 Porsche Kwan for $20 on ebay and no one bid on it (mint in box too most likely, as all of his models were in perfect condition and all in original boxes as well..).

So you never know.. If there's one thing I learned after paying way too much for that Maisto McLaren F1 that I got on ebay, it's if you look hard enough, you'll find a good price for what you want. Another quick example. First model I bid on was a McLaren F1 by UT in silver mint in original box. Model went for $59 (I lost in last 5 seconds..), my bid had been $58 US. One month later, I see the same kind of model (silver UT McLaren, mint in box), final bid, $105 US or so. :confused

Yea I know.. eBay is weird I tell ya man. But if you're like, you use PayPal, and figure there'll be no problems from a seller with 97-99% positive feedback, I think you don't have to worry too much when finding a model for too cheap. It may just be onoe of those rare moments when no one is looking. :giggle

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I remember that Kwan...I almost bid on it, but decided not to because (not to offend anyone here) I find the livery very ugly. I probably should have bought it and resold it. Oh well, no one ever accused me of being the sharpest pencil in the box.

But anyway, like you said, ebay is weird. So many factors affect the price, without even taking luck into account.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied!

It does seem sketchy at first but reading these posts I do have more confidence in going for the great deals without being skeptic.

I guess sometimes you do get more than what you paid for.. :lol

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Eddwin, that's why you ALWAYS have to take into consideration the seller's feedback. And I'm not just saying to look at how many positives he has, but if he has any negatives be sure to read them. I also always read a few of the positive ones too just to see why other people liked him.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
If I go to the big national chain Supermarket, Hunts Tomato Sauce is usually 99 cents a a can but if I go to the dumpy regional chain the same can is 59 cents and at the "Wholesale club" (BJ's) its 49 cents but I have to buy 8 cans at once.

I am assuming that Hunts sell the product to the stores for the same price so its up to the retailer to decide how much markup they should charge.

And its up to the consumer to decide how much they want to pay. I don't think it matters if its Tomato sauce or Diecast, you have to be a smart consumer to get your moneies worth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.