DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Hot Wheels Ferrari Testarossa 1984

****** ELITE vs ORIGINAL ******

I took the time, for those of you who has the original Testarossa but who's not sure if they want to spend $$$ to switch it for the Elite version.

I think it's the same mold they used for the original version....with some modifications:

-Black window contour and also the windshield base is black
-Mirror is now made in metal, not plastic
-Door's side vents are now made of metal, not plastic
-Plastic side marker between front wheel and door
-"Ferrari", "Pininfarina" & "Testarossa" crests are way better and much realistic size
-Seatbelts
-Carpet
-Tan interior look less plastic than the original black
-Better wheels with prancing horse in the middle
-Engine is improve with much more detail and extra parts
-Rear bonnet grill is way better and reaslistic
-Shifter is better
-Great paint
-Key holes on each doors and gas filler door (stickers)

(If the paint color seem different is just due to the lighting...both are the same red paint)

****THUMNAILS****

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I agree Justin, I would hope it would be easier to tell the Elite from the standard model than it is. I can see a lot of little improvements, and credit to Hot Wheels for those, but when they leave things like the light stubs and the totally plastic interior you can't help but think you're being short changed.

Great work on the comparison though Jeff :cheers

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
$10 might be generous, Mike.

I'll bet it doesn't cost Mattel more than $1 a car to make a car an Elite.

Oh my, the people that overpaid to get these must be really pleased :giggle

Nice post, Jeff :cheers

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Thank you guys :cheers

I really wonder what the 288 GTO and 575 Superamerica will look like in the flesh.

I'll make another comparo between the original & the Elite 288 GTO when I'll get it.

Should be here in 10 days.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to do this, it's a real eye-opener. How can Hot Wheels justify their prices after doing so little? :dizzy It shouldn't be called the Elite range it should be called "Hotwheels 1.5"

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1) because the 288 GTO was already order when I got the Testarossa.

2) because Hot Wheels is the only maker of the 575 Superamerica, and I absolutely want this model, because I love the 1:1 version of that car.

3) because even if they have a lot of "miss", they are still improve version and makes the "hits" better then the original anyway. Which link directly to...

4) I always get the best version of a model available, even for a few details more. It always been that way since I started collecting. If Kyosho release all the model that Hot Wheels just made, I'll switch them all for Kyoshos just like I switched all my Bburago for the Hot Wheels version.

5) Yes..... they're Ferraris. :giggle

G

·
I'm waiting for the '76 308 gtb from Kyosho,not that i liked much,but certain is better than 288,testa and others so called ''elites''...

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Jeff, I would like to first show my appreciation for the effort you put in to show us a great comperison. It's always nice to see great pictures that shows all the good things as well as the bad things about the model.

As for as the actual model goes, I think Mattel's business model of sharing same tools between regular release and the Elite release limits the quality of the models that they can make. You just can't make a model better by tossing in some photoetches parts. Improvements has to come from the source tool, which can provide the models with higher details like more defined edges and shutlines.

Until that happens, the Elite line is just modded regular release. . . .

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Well thank you very much Matt, it's always a pleasure for me. :cheers

And I agree 100% with you.

Of course I would've prefer a total "redesign" of the model...but I still think it looks better with those light refinement, but that's just my opinion, although, Hot Wheels regular models should've look like the Elite in the first place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.