DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hot Wheels Ferrari F40 .... Elite VS Regular

Here's a comparo between those 2 edition of the Hot Wheels F40.

in my opinion, the Elite is an awesome improvement but please, make your own opinion....

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Nice comparison, Jeff - you can see where the extra money went.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Hmmmm....from the pictures I don't agree on that!

The regular is a $20 model that with a little work can look 85% of the 3 times more costy elite version. From the pictures I can't see any "whoa" details that makes me run to buy.

I will get one though, but await prices to settle down :cheers

G

·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I feel that it's very hard to parallel and equate money with quality - and many of us would agree this is the classic balance scale. Can an Exoto really be worth often in the price range northward of $200 USD? I think the correct contrast would be one's feeling of attachment and desire for a model with the amount of money he is willing to shed for it.

I do agree with you Sir Gary in saying that sometimes one will feel he does not feel it is worthy to shell out the money for certain models. That's how the market works.. companies will price according to demand and their costs. Because I do not possess the necessary modification skills nor the previous F40, this Elite version makes me very happy for what it cost. If we all purchased models based on mathematical premises, such as if a model costs 3 times more than a cheaper one it must be at least 3 times better, I would have to say this hobby would get very interesting.

Just my two cents!

·
Registered
11,569 Posts
It sure makes me think I am going to keep my $10 F40 and save that money for something else.

Edit*****
After looking at the pics some more and realizing that the "list price" on the regular F40 is $30 and the list on the new one is about $60 (I think) then I can see the price as being fair...maybe.

I would be very hard for me to sink a ton of money into improving the Ferraris I have by replacing them with Elite's as the cash outlay would be very high.
But for the person that wants that special car, this might be a great way to go.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Congrats, Cuda Jeff!
Thanks for the pics and comparo.

It's a lot more than that. From the reviews I've read (here and elsewhere), the paint quality overall is better. There are numerous detail changes that, perhaps in their individual additions, don't make up the price difference...but on the whole it appears to be a much better car.
So far, most of the pics posted here have been low-res, but how's this look?:
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4267/040300013xe.jpg

G

·
Ok , so they added some slightly better lights and smaller plastic mesh grille pieces too ......big deal .
The car is still only the original car tarted up a bit with a few blobs of paint and bits of plastic...its not like theyve invested in making the mould any better .

I wonder how buyers would react if AUTOart did this with their CGT....add a few missing details , revise the lights and add some splashes of paint here and there but then stick another $40 on the RRP ?

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
The thing is, if I get one, it won't be for anywhere near full list. Like pretty much any other model, I can wait for one at a good price, and if one doesn't come along, fine, it's not the end of the world. As for modding a regular one, even if I had the skills and patience (which I don't), the cost of the regular F40, tools and materials would exceed the cost of one of these. Yes, a few members can accomplish that and more, turning Maistos into models that can easily rival an AUTOart, but most of us can't.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sir Gary said:
[Ok , so they added some slightly better lights and smaller plastic mesh grille pieces too ......big deal .
The car is still only the original car tarted up a bit with a few blobs of paint and bits of plastic...its not like theyve invested in making the mould any better .
Again, there are many more detail improvements than just that. It's not just a few blobs of paint:
Overall paint quality is better.
No shiny plastic-looking tires.
Proper 2-fan radiator.
Windows frames, B-pillar, strip that goes around the car, seem properly masked and painted (and apparently by spray).
Much more realistic seat belts, with photo-etched harness buckle; they attach into the rear shelf panel.
Proper texturing (and coloring) to the dash and transmission tunnel.
(Apparently) better gauges.
Plastic windows appear to be clearer, with heating elements in the headlights.
Correct-size Scuderia shields.
Sharper badging.
Better-fitting windshield wiper.
From what I'm hearing, the mesh grilles are metal, not plastic (though I could be wrong).

It could very well be that the original should have been sold as a $15 model...Or maybe we talk of production volume?

No, AUTOart is not likely to do that. The details one expects in a $70 model are already there. More likely, they'd produce a sealed-body version and charge you the same price.

Like eddwin said:
"If we all purchased models based on mathematical premises, such as if a model costs 3 times more than a cheaper one it must be at least 3 times better, I would have to say this hobby would get very interesting."

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Thats a great set of pics to compare the two. Cheers Jeff. Maybe it doesn't justify the price quite but you can see the improvements. It looks good enough to tempt me now.

Got to agree with Sir Gary about the hairy seats though! The, er, 'texturing' does leave a little to be desired.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.