DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that Hot Wheels's Ferrari's hold their resale value so well?

We have all heard, read and even participated in discussions on how some of Hot Wheels's Ferrari are poorly made and to an extent down right crappy.

Well if that be the case, why do they hold their resale value so well :giggle

Most notably on Ebay, but even in DX's Classifieds, members have listed Ferrari's by Hot Wheels and none of those prices reflect the discussions that have been held throughout DX.

So does anyone care to explain why these poorly made and crappy models still hold much of their value on the secondary market amidst knowledgable collectors :question :giggle

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I think they tend to appeal more to people that aren't serious collectors than other models. They're cheap ferraris that can fit on your desk at work on atop of your TV at home.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I guess no one knows or has a guess as to why :shipwrecked

Even if you rule out the F1 models and look at the street cars - they still are commanding the same retail price they did when they first sold.

Just take a look at eBay as well as the classifieds to see that most of the street cars are still in the $20 range. Factor in shipping and your looking at $30 easily.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Maisto makes Ferrari street cars as well as Bburago.

Would I consider them Hot Wheels major competition, possibly so since they are all budget models.

·
Loves Cars
374 Posts
I like actually like many of the Hotwheels Ferraris (runs for cover). For a BUDGET brand, many of the Ferraris are well made, have good paint, nice feel. Not sure about the newer ones, as the newest thing I have is an Hot Wheels Enzo and a 612 Scaglietti (thanks Marc). I'd say most of them leave a lot of the Maisto, Bburago, Sunstars and the like in the dust.

Granted, if a higher end company were to be making the same models at a nicer quality, I'd probably buy them. However I can have the whole Ferrari line-up at only $10-20 per car and not feel like I have to take out a second mortgage to pay for them all. Keep in mind, I have yet to pickup an "Elite" series.

My top pics so far:

550 Maranello (based on UT)
355 Based on UT
360 Challenge Stradale
612 Scaglietti
456M
Enzo / FXX
F50
430 (if I ever get around to getting one)
599 (ditto)

Mind you, very few of these make into the dust proof display cases, but look great out in the flesh.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I like the Hot Wheels's Ferrari models, but some of them go for outrageous prices.

My main displease is with teh Schumacher 66th Pole model. Very few of them apparently, they've been going for $140+ US on ebay. I was hoping to get one for $100, but I guess I'll have to go without one in my collection. :dizzy

·
Registered
6,539 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
The Solido Aston Martin doesn't mean anywhere near as much as the Ferrari with Schumacher to me. I don't collect models just because of quality, I collect them because of significance and Schumacher's models have 10 times the significance of the Solido.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.