DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am a new user to this forum though I have been collecting diecast models for some time now. Now I just recently purchased my first HWE model on ebay and have a question or two about it. It is a Ferrari 599 GTO, never been opened new in box and it was purchased for 53.00 US dollars with 14 US dollars for shipping from the mintmodels ebay store. Upon it's arrival I noticed a few blemishes and such on the car that sort of worried me. Firstly, the paint in some areas had irregularities or bumps of sort, like something landed on the model prior to it being painted like dust or something. Secondly, the windows on the driver side are sort of scratched and chipped almost like it's been driving on the highway or something. Thirdly, there are paint chips on the back left rims (this one in particular perturbs me). Lastly, I noticed some glue residue, though I know this is normal on a lot of models.

So my main question is, is this normal for HWE? Am I being too particular? If this is just normal stuff, I'm fine with it but if I got a lazily created version of this car I would like to exchange it or do something.

Thank you guys in advance!

p.s, i will include pictures later if anyone wants me to, but for now I won't because I have yet to remove it from the box.

·
Premium Member
13,288 Posts
The small bumps are something I notice more often than the others. My 599 GTO is nearly perfect. There are a couple of those small bumps, but it is only a couple here and there. The other issues do not appear on my GTO. I understand the windows being scratched or dirty looking, because of the material Hot Wheels uses. I have a couple of Hot Wheels with dirty/scratched windows. The paint chips on the wheels worry me. I would like to see exactly what it looks like. The glue is an issue to me. Of my HWE, none has glue residue that I know of. How much and where is the glue?

Overall, one or two issues is not a big deal, but there seems to be lot wrong here. You already got a great deal, but I would at least ask if there is a chance of exchanging it for another.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I have 3 HWE GTO's and none have this issue. If you bought the car from Mint Models for $53 then you bought the non-Elite version which may have that problem. Is your interior painted? If no, then you bought the non-Elite and you may be stuck with that type of quality. If you are still unsure then post pics of the box or interior of the car and we can tell you for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure it is the elite version, it came with the original box unopened and all. The base plate it is attached to says elite on it and yes the interior is painted. I'll put up some pictures in just a second as soon as my camera battery recharges.

·
Administrator
34,162 Posts
I had a Red HWE 599xx although it's not a GTO the paint on it wasn't great at all, I had Black bits in the paint of my one!!!! It took me a while to remove them, it came from Germany otherwise I'd have returned it. The glue is normal on them, I had excess glue round the headlights!

We get stung for them here & tbh they are crap for the money.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Yeah, that's the Elite, sorry to hear about your imperfections. I wonder if Mint Models sold it for so low because of the damage (scratch & dent). I would call them or email them. They are fantastic on customer service.

·
John
586 Posts
Yeah it's normal. Pretty much every model that comes out, there will be some flaws on them. I bought the 410 and schumacher fxx a while back, it look like someone had literally drop it on its roof, There were major chips on the car, I should have taken photos but they let me return it. And the box was sealed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Perhaps I'll return this then but at the same time I'm trying to just be content with it. The way I got it so cheaply was because it was a bidding item and not a buy it now and somehow the price never got up there. And while I'm at it, is there any type of paint i could use to fix the rims because honestly, that is the one thing that is really bothering me and if that could be fixed I would be just fine.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Tamiya model paint probably has a color to match the gunmetal grey of the rim. You could look for them in any hobby store or Michael's arts and craft store. If you check your Sunday paper Michael's often has 40-50% off coupons so you could get it for ~$2.00

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The first Elite 599GTO that I bought had a very noticeable paint imperfection on the driver side door - right smack in the middle of the door panel where it's really noticeable. It looks like a large piece of dust, and then it was just painted over. It was super annoying and I couldn't return it - so I just sold it on eBay for cheap. I try my best to limit Hot Wheels Elite purchases as I'm a perfectionist - and you'll find out after a couple of them, that Hot Wheels Elite has a long ways to go to get to Autoart or Kyosho quality control levels. For my yellow Elite 458 Italia, I spent 2 hours cleaning glue reisdues off of the model - totally not acceptable for a $100 model. They weren't minor glue residues - there were a ton of glue clogged up in the mesh surrounding the engine bonnet glass. What's the point of having see-through mesh if all of the mesh holes are clogged up with glue? All of my $85 Kyosho models always arrived in perfect condition.

·
Registered
9,008 Posts
the paint imperfections are one thing, but the glue? If that's all it is in the pic, I can't see sending it back just because of that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the paint imperfections are one thing, but the glue? If that's all it is in the pic, I can't see sending it back just because of that.
If you had read my original post I stated that the main thing that bothered me was the chipped paint on the left back rim. The paint imperfections and the glue were just other things to go with that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts