DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can buy the donors, dissassemble them, strip off the paint, repaint them, and put them back together, but I do not have the capability of making decals. I am about to embark on a run of approximately 10-12 customs, all of which will be painted the same, and all of which, hopefully, will be decalled the same.

I am willing to pay a reasonable price to someone who will make up a decal sheet that meets my specifications. I am not talking about anything elaborate, simply numbers for the hood, doors, roof, and trunk, plus a rear quarter panel (left and right) logo. I can acquire sponsor and contingency decals over the internet/eBay, but can't find anyone who will help me in creating the master for my numbers and logo.

I know this Board is international, and I am willing to use a resource that is not in the USA (not meant to be a derogatory comment, just simply to say that I am willing to pay the cost of shipping, if necessary).

Any assistance on this endeavour will be greatly appreciated.

:cheers

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Hello,

I've been doing some reseach online, looking at what scale model community is doing as far as creating custom decals. It seems most use thermal transfer printer from ALPS, MD 1000, 1300, or 5000 to create their own decals. ALPS printers can print white which no inkject printers can, so it looks like that is the main reason why they are so popular amongs the scale modelers who require custom works.

Also, it looks like there are few out there who takes orders for custom jobs, including the process of creating the artwork as well as the actual printing of the decals. Here is a link of one I found:

http://www.decal-man.com/index1.htm

It looks like he charges $35+ for a sheet, but it looks like he mainly deals with 1:24 models. I'm not sure how much 1:18 or 1:43 would cost.

On eBay, ALPS MD printers go for $400+. They are out of production, and being the only affordable thermal transfer printer in the market, it looks like it is VERY popular amongst the custom decal hobby guys.

I'm leaning towards picking up one of the ALPS printer for myself since I like the idea of creating my own work, but then, it's $400+ :help

I'm going to do some more research.......

G

·
Any updates to this? I have contacted alot of decal guys with only 2 of them being able to do what I wanted (GTR logos for the concept mcalren gtr). Out of the 2 one was busy and couldnt do it for months and the other wanted over $200 for the printed decals alone not counting time spent making them as well as fitting them (which was around $200 more). This guy was a museum quality model maker that mainly dealt with airplanes and military equipment, but he was very good!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've started making my own decals using decal paper from www.decalpaper.com . I got sick of paying $10 a sheet when I could do it myself for a whole lot less and make the sheets the way I wanted . Below are some of the ones I've done. I've copied some but then resize them to what I need. I've also taken pictres off the 'net and used those for decals. Some of the decal makers out there make some good decals, but are very fragile . I've used both clear and white paper to make the decals. If you have good photo editing software (p-shop, photosuite, etc) , its not that hard. If you want some done, send me some images of what you want, Depending on what you want done, I wouldn't charge more then $10-15 for a 8.5" X 11" sheet . It would depend on what you want done, and these are inkjet decals. If you're interested, PM me. I can't do white lettering, but almost anything else , and you would have to trace everything out .

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.