DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1:18 Porsche 996 Carrera, in black, by UT Models. Since the paint is damaged, I thought about buying a cheap 1:18 996 from Gate (as it is from the same parent company as UT Models and use the same mold, I expect that the two models are compatible) and put the base (interior, engine, wheels...) of the UT Models in the body of the Gate.

My questions are: is this possible? Are the screws and stuff compatible between these two models? And how can I disassemble the UT 996? It has only two screws in the front, I took them but, but I can't still disassemble the model.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
J-San said:
Hi, I have a 1:18 Porsche 996 Carrera, in black, by UT Models. Since the paint is damaged, I thought about buying a cheap 1:18 996 from Gate (as it is from the same parent company as UT Models and use the same mold, I expect that the two models are compatible) and put the base (interior, engine, wheels...) of the UT Models in the body of the Gate.

My questions are: is this possible? Are the screws and stuff compatible between these two models? And how can I disassemble the UT 996? It has only two screws in the front, I took them but, but I can't still disassemble the model.
Hi JSAN,

I dont know about the Gate model, but the UT has two screws at the rear, and they are hidden under the exhausts tubes.
You have to force them (exhausts) very carefuly to remove and then you will find the screws.
:cheers

Errrr... I am talking about the 993's from UT, but it is possible the the same happens with your model :giggle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I've heard that they're actually different molds. The Gate convertible I had had snap shut doors, whereas the UTs, and strangely, Autoarts seem to have doglegs, which suggests a different mold. Not 100% though, I'd look at a few pic before buying.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thought I would mention , I tried it and it is not possible ,unless you do major modification.To take the UT apart,you have to remove the exhaust ,2 rear screws,
the 2 front screws,pry out the rear and get to the 2 screws that hold the interior at the rear,try and swing the backof the chassis outward(toward you)then you can take the body off.interior and chassis will stay together,cause the fron t wheels must come off to seperate or cut the tops of the front wheelweels off.Or just remove thw front wheels if you can.hope that helps,but I would then do a repaint.
I did ,try and post a pictur tomorrow.
911boy

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Having been involved in building and racing cars for close to 30 years, my greatest frustration has been in trying to modify 1/18 scale die cast. None of the die cast manufacturers use the same assembly techniques, and any attempt to marry parts from one to another is fraught with frustration and failure.

Choose your customs wisely, and if you have a question, contact me. I've taken apart most of the more popular models, with limited success.

:scared

1 - 5 of 5 Posts