DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've painted a few models in the past, with limited success, promising myself to never paint a good model.

Well that promise only lasted but so long, I have a really Auto Art model that I want to customize by blacking the roof out and painting the wheels black. Only problem...I really don't want to screw it up.

In the past I have used Testors paint, prolly the best on the market, but I didn't use primer. This time I think a good coat of primer will be neccessary.

Should I use a spray or should I use a brush???

Since the roof is a broad visible area, I think a spray is in order for it, while a brush may be more applicable for the wheels.

Should I sand the area to be painted before applying the primer and should I sand it after the primer is applied as well???

any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also need paint tips, as well as body filler tips. I am trying to put together an order from tuning18.com so I can get to work on my NSX.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used Testor paints, but I personally prefer Tamiya acrylic paints. However, I do not know how this will work on metal as I've only used them on plastic models.

However, I can tell you that spray paint is better for the roof. Like you said, it is a large surface area so you want it to be smooth and you're not going to get that with using a brush. Be sure to use a primer. Always use primer. And finish up with a clearcoat spray. Use several coats and you'll be happy with the results. You might want to strip the original paint first. Not sure on that because I've never tried it. You can use the brush on the wheels since it is smaller surface area.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, my only experiance is on 1:24 plastic models. For 1:18 diecast I would strip it down to the metal, prime it, and then use an airbrush to paint it. But I have heard stripping it of all of the paint can hurt somehow, is there any truth in this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take it apart get yourself a small sandblasting gun available from the Eastwood company I think this is the website www.eastwoodcompany.com but not sure get you a Blaster it's a small sandblaster use white silica sand it takes the paint right of then primer sand with fine paper when smooth spray your color on :mrgreen: If graphic's are wanted go to you local Auto Paint source and buy fine line stripping tape for the layout. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I could afford that. I was thinking more like sanding it, using a dremel to strip it, or some paint stripper. Do you know if this will mess up the metal or the paint over the top? I dissasembled the NSX today, wow, a lot of pieces! Step one it to paint the shell. I guess I will do some mroe research. Thanks for the info though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts