DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The all black JPS cigarette sponsored touring car racers were quite rare, usually only to be seen on single seaters.
Except in OZ/NZ and Macau, where popular 'tin top' racing often snared the lucrative sponsorship money.
These are the three JPS sponsored 1/18th scale models (note that I don't approve of smoking) that I have in my collection.
I only know of one other significant car with the scheme - the TWR XJS cars run in the Macau Guia race in 1984.
Since only AUTOart produced a diecast model of the TWR XJS, and that it's unlikely ever to return, I can't see any potential for such a version from them.
I have zero interest in the overpriced resin Tecnomodel version, which wasn't offered in JPS colour scheme.

Car Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Hood

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

I made some changes to the 635, replacing the headlights and the running lights with chrome foil and clear lenses.
The Minichamps 635 has the poorest effort at the markings, they are accurate - but flat.
But the 635 was very successful, winning almost every round of the 1985 ATCC including the Sandown 500 - second in importance only to Bathurst in Australia.
Next is the Mustang which I had to import from OZ, and is a real old style diecast with only a missing, opening rear hatch.
In terms of the markings the Mustang is way better than the 635, although the JPS markings need to be added by the modeller after a search.
They are foil type, which is more accurate than those on the BMW 635.
The Mustang only competed twice - in the 1986 Nissan Mobil series, second place in Wellington, dnf in Pukekohe.
Last is the M3, also from Minichamps which I needed to replace the turn signal/indicators with parts found in the spares box.
Particularly nice are the markings, full blown and accurate foil decals which are the most impressive effort at the decals that should have been on the 635.
The M3 was also a series winner, champion in the 1987 ATCC but never won either of the two big races, Ssandown and Bathurst..
The two BMW's needed additional internal detailing, including rear seat belt pieces, the M3 needed the DTM rear exiting exhaust replaced with a under door version..
I can't remember any other JPS 'tin tops' that raced, discounting the plastic body Frank Gardner Chevrolet corvair - which was essentially an F5000 underneath....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Very nice Slarti, one of the best liveries ever (even with Lotus in F1). The Mustang was usually painted bright green but was changed to the JPS livery for the two New Zealand races only, Dick Johnson's co-driver Neville Crichton was sponsored by JPS I believe. Those Classic Carlectables Mustangs are a very nice model, just like the good old days of diecast. Reminds me that I must get some nice foil JPS decals for my M3, it looks a bit bare without them.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I never knew there was a JPS XJS - Looks cool and would be fairly easy to replicate using some decals and a repaint if you could find a tatty AA one (well, for someone with prerequisite skills, not that I could do it :ROFLMAO: )

M

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reminds me that I must get some nice foil JPS decals for my M3, it looks a bit bare without them.

Is that a Biante/CC M3?
This is the decal sheet I bought for the Mustang, although I think they amy be a little bit too big for the M3.
Lotus 72D Option Decal 1973 | HLJ.com
Note though that they are not a shiny as the ones supplied by Minichamps.
You may have to do a bit of detective work to find what you need, and note that I bought a 1/12th scale set for the 1/18th scale Mustang,..

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never knew there was a JPS XJS - Looks cool and would be fairly easy to replicate using some decals and a repaint if you could find a tatty AA one (well, for someone with prerequisite skills, not that I could do it :ROFLMAO: )

I suspect even a tatty AA version would be very expensive.
I never understood why AA didn't make more use of the tooling for a 1982 and 1983 paint scheme.
I believe Australia had the 1985 Bathurst winner under the Biante name - lucky sods!

Vehicle Car Tire Wheel Automotive design

·
Registered
618 Posts
Nice theme.
Approving smoking or not, tobacco liveries were beautiful, and now they look highly historical.

These black touring cars look "bad", so they are fascinating and different from most popular colours.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Reminds me that I must get some nice foil JPS decals for my M3, it looks a bit bare without them.

Is that a Biante/CC M3?
This is the decal sheet I bought for the Mustang, although I think they amy be a little bit too big for the M3.
Lotus 72D Option Decal 1973 | HLJ.com
Note though that they are not a shiny as the ones supplied by Minichamps.
You may have to do a bit of detective work to find what you need, and note that I bought a 1/12th scale set for the 1/18th scale Mustang,..
It's the AutoArt M3, Biante had it made for the Australian market with around 1,100 made (not sure exactly, the certificate is packed away). It is pretty much perfect in it's finish, although I don't think all the details are 100% accurate compared to the 1:1 racecar from 1987. Jim Richards is probably my favourite driver. Yes the decals on your Minichamps look a lot shinier than the tampo's on my M3, I'm sure someone in Oz has made some up, just got to get around to it. I also wish I had picked up a 635 when they were affordable............

·
Registered
335 Posts

I never understood why AA didn't make more use of the tooling for a 1982 and 1983 paint scheme.
I believe Australia had the 1985 Bathurst winner under the Biante name - lucky sods!

View attachment 275668
Love this JPS XJS, I've nevr seen that livery before on a Jag. I've got the AutoArt/Biante1985 Bathurst winner, it's a nice model except for the wheels which are chrome on the model but were flat silver-grey on the 1:1, so it's not accurate - an easy fix but also an annoying error. They also released the 3rd place finish car, which may be a way to get a nice opening XJS in TWR livery for a reasonable price. Even the Bathurst winner wasn't too expensive until recently.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Maybe, but people might get lucky - I didn't pay a lot for mine a few years ago, but that was in one of the regular AA clearouts at CK Modelcars, so I doubt we'll see that again.

It seems odd when a manufacturer tools up a model and then doesn't issue more than one livery, I guess it must be licensing issues.

I could never understand why Spark issued the XJR14 that qualified but never raced, at Le Mans, but never followed it up with any of the sprint race cars! I didn't buy the LM car, because it never raced and I assumed they'd do, at least, the Silverstone winner.

Spark have since told me they'll never release another XJR14... :(

M

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of the more successful outings for the XJR14 was in the Japanese sports racing series, with the car in Suntec markings.
I don't know who this company is/was, but I don't think they were a cigarette producer, so a less controversial scheme. :unsure:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'd love the 1984 BMW 635csi in Group C specification to be made by someone - it was Jim Richards' car that was run at Bathurst in 1984 in Group C spec alongside another 635 in Group A spec. It looks wild with the flared guards - here's hoping someone makes this one in 1:18.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts