DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found these at IKEA and was completely surprised. $20.00 apiece. If you have priced acrylic cabinets you know what a deal these are.

Glass-door wall cabinet
JÄRNA

They are made from solid walnut and could easily be stained and finished if wanted, and the shelves are adjustable glass. I snagged a couple to check em out. I'm thinkin of screwing a few together. I'm also thinking of replacing the back panel with a mirrored surface.

I'd guess some of you have found these already, but if you haven't, I reccomend them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's 1/6 scale bikes. It holds 2 nicely. Took the pics with my phone. sorry.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Considering an acylic case that holds thirty 1/12ths is well over $100.00 I couldn't resist these. Figure you can get 3 of these and some cheap lighting for inside the cases for the same price as an unlit plastic case that would hold fewer bikes. it's a no brainer for me. :joy

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I have some of these above my Billy cases at the office. You can get 6 small 1/18 cars in them or lots of 1/18 bikes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was just checking out the Ikea online catalog a few days ago, looking for some possible glass cases. The online catalog lists these for $49Cdn. Is the $20 price you found US or Cdn? If it's Cdn, which store did you find them at? I'm near the Coquitlam one. If I could get it for $20US (about $25Cdn) I'd definitely buy 2 or 3.

The glass door cabinet I was thinking of getting is the Nygard:
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...561*15639*15645
(sorry, not yet sure how to post pics here)

It's $200Cdn and based on it's dimensions (80cmx29cmx93cm) it should hold at least 6 1:18 diecasts per shelf if they are put in side by side instead of tip to tip (ie nose out). With the 4 shelfs that means 24 cars, and if another shelf could be gotten hold of it could take 30 cars.

Thanks,
DYW

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
For display cases, I don't even look to Ikea anymore. I just look for stores closing or renovating, and buy their fixtures. I picked up a HUGE display cabinet (7 ft by 3 ft by 2 ft) sliding glass door cabinet which was originally for porcelain figures for 200CAD only.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I just got a 31.5" by 79.5" Billy with 2 glass doors and 9 extra glass shelves for $224.99 before tax. I fit 14 shelves into it (had to drill holes for 4 shelves) and each shelf can hold 7 diecasts for a potential maximum of 98 models, or a cost of $2.30/model. Skipping the glass doors would save $80.

It was easy to assemble and I'm already thinking of getting another one to replace my modified bookcases.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Ikea has these Jarna displays on sale for $14 right now (until the 7th)! I got three to start displaying the bike collection again. I already had 3 of them.

I will drill extra holes and add shelves to it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They look great for 1:43 Porsches :giggle

The only downside is they cost £25 ($50) over here. :dizzy

·
Registered
10,816 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
They do not have the sale price online here, but the regular price. Maybe you can call the store and see if they are on sale.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They have no stock at my local Ikea and Im not driving 100 miles to get to my next closest store :giggle

Apparantly , they are now discontinued and wont be restocked . They arent on sale here either .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am getting a display case, and i am thinking these are the ones for me. are they really being discontinued Sir Gary? Did they say they would be replacing them or not? I think these ar perfect for me, i need to get to Ikea now :lol

:cheers

Rob

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.