DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just replacing the guitar strings on my electric when I noticed that the low E, A and D strings (the thicker ones) would make great stainless steel-like lines for detailing a model. You can pick up a set for very cheap at a guitar shop. It just so happened that while I was restringing my guitar, I was looking at detailed pics of a 333SP, which is how this popped into my head in the first place. A qucik test fit o the D string showed perfect scale for the shock/reservoir lines.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, i've officially decided to start detailing the engine bay on the 333. Lots of things I can do in there. The only bad thing is that after removing the screws, the body is actually glued to the chassis as well. I started to pry at it a little bit with some Exacto knives, but I'm afraid to break it. Thus, some of the detail painting won't happen. :crying

No need for any in progress pics, since I'll just be able to show comparison shots of the detailed engine bay VS the base 333s that I won't bother modifying. Just as I start wrapping up 2 other projects, I start another.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just installed some of the guitar strings to the 333SP, and they look really good. They aren't extremely pliable, but you can shape them pretty easily with a little massaging. The engine bay is really coming together.

Another quick question: Why would you buy the aluminum sheets they sell in hobby shops, a 5"x7" sheet here sells for $2, when you can use regulay ol' aluminum foil, which is $3 or so for 50sq ft? I applied some to the heat shields on this car and it looks great.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really would like to see this project as it sounds like you've done some great work. :cheers
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If nothing else, I'll take some shots with my disposable before I get the film developed. I've got a few shots left from my vacation film to take.

I did manage to make my first decals: tiny little brembo decals for the calipers. Turned out a-ok. I haven't done what I would call a lot of work on this yet, but it looks so much better than stock already. It's amazing what a tiny bit of detailing will do.

Mods so far:

Paint detailing, as everything was either molded black or silver. (painting with a toothpick sometimes gets tiring)
Added aluminum foil trim to the heat shields
Added stainless steel hydraulic lines throughout
Added brake detail (lines, decals, paint)
Scuffed the tires with some sandpaper.

I've still got quite a bit of detailing to do. Add some anti-roll bars that Hot Wheels didn't have, for some reason. More engine detailing. Add engine braces. Add proper details to the nose of the car (the only part of the exterior that needs any work). Unfortunately, since I can't disassemble the rear of the car, a bunch of things I simply can't do. :crying I'm looking forward to getting this done, which should be within the next coupla days.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've added the carbon fibre decals to the appropriate places in the engine bay. With all the measuring I've done for this stupid thing, I could probably come up with a transkit for engine detail on the 333SP. That's all I've done to the car itself today. A little more wiring and the aforementioned work to the front of the car is all that remains.

I even built a "to scale" car stand for the model as I work on it, based off of some detailed pics I found of real 333s. As if detailing a car wasn't enough, I'm starting to get sucked into the little diorama aspect of it too, thanks to Eric's pics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Sounds great! And the guitar string are a great idea too!!! :danbanna :danbanna :danbanna
Good luck on the project :cheers
BTW You use a toothpick, I use a paperclip to paint detail!!! :lol :lol :lol
Works very well though, and makes for some nice precision work! :danbanna
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top