DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Completing a collection. :giggle

Everytime I feel I have added that one last piece of the puzzle, here comes another piece. :tempted

I am once again throughly convinced that there is no such thing as completing a hobby.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I think you can complete a series. Let's take for instance the BMW Z series in 1:18. I have the Z3, Z4 and Z8. Once I get the Z1 it will be completed, unless BMW adds another car to the series.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm still working on a few series. :WTF

However, I think as long as I consider myself a collector, there is no completing a collection.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
A collection, specially if the subject is diecast, can't be completed, once every week there are new models comming out. But a specific series (like my Z example or Saico's MotoGP series) isn't hard at all to complete, since they're a limited series (and that little word makes all the difference).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This may sound weird, but when I do get to complete certain collection/series - the joy of completion is short lived. I would get bored rather quickly and immediately look for a new line/series to chase after...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
in general no,
there are always new diecast coming out and new cars that have never been made, I don't think anyone has every single diecast made

but if you collect a series, eg Exoto GT40's then you can complete that collection

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess it all depends on what people see as a collection. For me, a subset of a collection can be complete. Say for instance, I wanted all of the UT Ferraris ever made. That's a finite number since they will not be produced again. So once I had all of the UTs, I'd be done with that part of my collection.

However, if you're talking about the entire shabang...I'd say no.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MockingBird said:
ur kidding right? :p there is no end... until the bank account runs dry i guess... or if the girlfren goes crazy..whichever comes first
if ur girlfriend goes crazy,
I'd be more than happy to take your collection off your hands :lol

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I say nay, except in very limited circumstances, such as a collection consisting of only Exoto GT40s as RW said or for example all the UT McLarens. Even then, who is to say they won't be re-released in slightly different form in the future, so one can never say for sure that a collection is complete! And with the range of new models being released all the time it is impossible to see how a collection could ever be complete :cheers

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I see it a little different, okay my collection was complete with my first model, I have just been adding to it for the years that followed & to come.

Like is a house/home ever complete/finished? Well it is when the builders have done their part "like my first model, my collection was complete", then for the years that follow you add mod & remove things in and around it. "Like a model car collection".

Just a different way to look at it. As I feel we are all right on this topic, there are no wrong answers.

:cheers

Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts