DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I had read that AUTOart was releasing another Mustang in their '67-'68 mold and since I like anything Mustang I got excited. I have a couple and I would buy most of them if done correctly.
I just read at the Pub that the car is exactly the same as the Bullitt '68! WTF :confused :confused :confused Good for the ones that missed the first one, bad for the hobby! :badidea :badidea :badidea

This leads me to believe that:
A) AUTOart is pulling an Ertl and re-boxing a HTF model and cheapening the original release (last one on eBay went for $99).
OR
B) AUTOart did not want to pay the Licensing fee to whoever owns them and is "Sticking it" to them.
OR
C) AUTOart's reaserch department is clueless and lazy and packages a car as a "Mustang GT" and yet leaves out most of the GT package items like the grill, foglamps, stripes badges and the WHEELS!!!!

Here is all they did to make it different than the original Bullitt, changed the plates.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a side pic! Notice any GT package items? BTW, pics are from MTR.

Attachments

G

·
Wow, I'm unimpressed to say the least. How can you package a model as something it completely is NOT. Shame on you, AUTOart!!

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
At AUTOart's new price point, a flawless paint is to be expected. :giggle I have $20 Suns Stars with better paint than most AAs. :lol

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
From what Dennis talked about on that thread, it would be the Bullitt car model but with new plates and all the chrome details that were removed to make the car look like the one on the movie.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that's the case, then why call it a GT? :confused

It's funny, Ertl re-releases HTF icons like the 'Vanishing Point' Challenger and they take a beating, AUTOart does it and they get a pass?
Not on my watch! :lol :lol :lol

I'll call it like I see it: Greed! Sorry Dennis!

·
Registered
852 Posts
When I saw this release coming I emailed AUTOart and they said the license for Bullitt is over and they will continue to make the model, all the same exept for the licence plates and a millenium box. (The Bullitt was in a window box with photos from the movie)
Case B I guess...
Non the less I have the Bullitt and this a very nice model... :cheers

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And the sad part of all this is that there are countless of models that AUTOart could make out of the fine '67-'68 mold! Just like the '71 Mustang mold and the '82 Corvette mold!

On the 67-68 Mustang, if you add the different engines,transmissions, hoods, stripes, wheels, interiors, trim/decor package the options are huge. Throw in the coupe and convertibles (and Shelbys) into the mix and you would never have to make a duplicate.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Looks like they are missing some of the chrome details :giggle

Where is the Mustang in the grille?
I think these had chrome rocker mouldings to? Al?

I think all they did was change the plate and the box.

Taking the cheap and easy way out again :pullhair

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I already have the Bullitt '68, but I would had bought a Highland Green GT390 if it had been done like a GT should. :help

G

·
First a really bad model like the 2007 Mercedes S Class then some great redemption models and then back to this sort of stuff, Autoart has to wake up and smell the coffee.

G

·
I am in agreement that of late AUTOart seems to have had more misses than hits... which I think a lot of us collectors are more irritated with now than we would have been say a year ago due to the changes they have made in their pricing (and the enforcement of those prices).

However... on the Mercedes S class, I;ve said this before and will say it again. It is what it is because that is what Mercedes requested. For what ever reason Mercedes is asking their suppliers of their dealer editions for "dumbed" down items. Look at the Kyosho Mercedes vs. the work Kyo does for BMW. The Mercedes have things like dogleg door hinges because that is what Mercedes wants. Personally I think this is really short sighted on Mercedes part, especially when their key competitor is springing for all the bells and whistles on the replicas just like they do on the 1/1s.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
wdc, like Mercedes, we are AUTOart's customers too. We ask for a lot of stuff but AUTOart doesn't deliver. So I infer Mercedes is more important to AUTOart then us. And does that mean that if Mercedes asked for a turd with four wheels and the three-points star in the front AUTOart would do it?

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
G

·
Really my point is that we should not just blame AutoArt but also Mercedes. Why in the world would a top line luxury marque such as Mercedes want such low tech, low grade replicas on the market. Especially given the effort and focus that their key competitor BMW puts into their replicas. For AUTOart I think it is a no win (instead of a win win). Of course they are going to produce the replica because they want the money from Mercedes and the odds are they are going to sell the replicas even though it is not up to their normal standards. At the same time it is their brand (and not Mercedes) that is reflected poorly on.

G

·
I see what your saying, but I'm not neccessarily of the same opinion.

Mercedes is not a model car company, AUTOart is. Therefore, its AUTOart's primary responsibility to watch after their brand recognition. AUTOart has every right to inform Mercedes that producing a model of that standard will drag their brand recognition down.

The problem with it all is, for the right amount of money, AUTOart will make anything for anyone, evident by that Mercedes. Problem is, their no longer selling these to Mercedes, their selling these to collectors.

Mercedes is just a customer who commissioned a set of models for a set price. AUTOart is delivering them that. I'm sure Mercedes doesn't have any plans to jump into the collectors market, these surely meant to compliment owners of Mercedes.

No different from any other company commissioning a model, tell them what you want, they produce it and the mold is their for them to do what ever they want with it afterwards.

Its a 50/50 chance that the exec who commissioned these models from AUTOart doesn't know a good model from a bad model. I'm sure he knows a good company from a bad company, which explains why he chose a good company such as AUTOart.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts