DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
This is a review for the Jadee Toyota Crown.

Some points that don't fit in the review categories will be discussed. The box is the same type of box as the Jadee Prado SE. This means crappy strength cardboard, but very nicely printed pics and lettering on the box. I'm especially impressed with this one because the words "CROWN" are indented, and have GOLD colouring, just AMAZING. The model is protected by a Styrofoam box inside. The Styrofoam box wiggles a bit in the cardboard box, but the model is tight fit inside the Styrofoam, which is good. No screws too! I measured the model, and it is in scale, except that the rear ride height is too low.

The model also comes with a 1:1 Toyota key, which is a door opener for the model. As with the Prado SE, the key is needed to open the doors, as shutlines are razor thin.

Brakes - accuracy=9 detail=8
The brakes on the Crown look great. The callipers are static, and the discs move with the tires. The callipers are well detailed as well. A puzzling thing about the discs is that, when I take pics with the flash on, it looks like photoetch. But in sunlight, it looks plastic… either way, it's done well, especially since I can't tell if it's PE or plastic. :giggle Take a look at the pics above. Left is the discs with flash, right is the disc in sunlight.

Engine - accuracy=8 detail=7
This part of the Crown falters a tad, partly due to the 1:1's boring engine compartment, and partly due to Jadee's lack of effort. As most people know, most new cars have huge plastic covers covering the engine, so there's not much to see. And it's the same case with the Crown. The huge silver plastic cover has the Toyota and V6 symbols molded in. However, the rest of the engine looks like it's one piece, and very 2D. I think Jadee could've done a better job here.

Exterior - accuracy=9 detail=10
There's no much to say here, except PERFECT. This model's exterior is perfect, except for ONE minor problem. The problem is that the rear height is too low. I had previously thought the front height is too high instead, but from what I found on the web, the China Crown was raised 10mm front and back because of the bad roads in China. Therefore the front ride height is correct. Maybe the trunk has something really heavy in it? :giggle
If you're still reading, I guess you want to know why this model is so perfect exterior-wise. From the front, we see a perfectly shaped hood, with a chromed and perforated grill. The Crown sign in the middle is a separate piece, and is super detailed. The lights are masterpieces in itself. The bulbs are all represented, the turning signal coloured in, and no attachment stubs. That's nothing in itself, but they even got that little green tint on the lights, just like the 1:1! You can see it a bit of the green tint I'm talking about in the pics above. Moving on down, we see a perfectly applied license plate, and perforated (at least excavated deep enough) holes beside the foglights. Talking about the foglights, they're beauties as well. No attachment stubs, and the bulbs are represented too! Oh my!
Moving on to the side of the car, it's here we see the uneven ride height. But we also see exquisite chrome work around the windows, the door handles, and on the bottom of the doors. The side marker, sadly, has an attachment stub, but it's not so bad as it can be mistaken for a representation of the light bulb. As you can see the shutlines on the doors are nonexistent, they're so small the model is like a sealed model! Moving a bit farther back, behind the back doors, we see a little white Crown logo, it's a separate piece, and is SUPER detailed. The Crown emblem is gold, while the background is white, this piece just beautifully done. Looking a bit lower from the emblem, we see an openable gas cap. Does any other medium quality diecast brand do this? I highly doubt it.
To the rear of the car we go, and the first thing that caught my eye when I saw it is the beautiful Toyota logo. It's a separate photoetch piece, along with all the other badging on the rear. Yes, I did say ALL OTHER badging on the rear is also made with photoetch, even that little rectangular piece under the left brake light with many Chinese words on it. This is just details at its finest! The rear window has the heating elements painted on the inside and has a nicely done chrome strip surrounding the window. The brakelights are well made, with a very 3D look, and the correct bar of white on the bottom of it for the backup lights. The chrome strip on top of the beautiful and in scale license plate is exquisite as well. Looking at the mufflers, one can see they really tried hard to do the circle within a circle look for them, and they succeeded, except they should've painted the groove between the inner and outer circle black to better the effect.
When you open the trunk, you're treated to a richly carpeted compartment. But there's not much else in there. I was expecting a spare tire, but maybe the 1:1 had it under the carpet, so Jadee didn't model it? Oh well, still a very well done trunk.

Interior - accuracy=10 detail=10
Another hole-in-one here for the Crown here. The interior is perfect. There is not another manufacturer who has done any interior better than this (as of Oct/05 :giggle). I challenge you to find another model with a better made interior than this. Let us start from the front. The dials are represented by a sticker, but are very convincing. The whole dash has no stickers on it, it's either all molded in, or painted on. Look at the little white words on the black dials on the first pic above! Look at the beautiful wood trim everywhere on the front. Look at the air vents, which are all painted. And the best part, look at the center console, it's so well represented, it all looks real, especially the NAV screen! The best part is the steering wheel. The little buttons on the wheel are all represented, and the Crown logo looks like a separate piece! The seats are made with a plastic that feels soft, and all dials/buttons are molded on the side of the seats. They also move forward and backward. The gear shifter is just as well done, with chrome bottom and grey "grip part". By the way, the gear shifter moves! The console between the two front seats is openable as well, if only they made 1:18 scale CD's, I could fit some in there! All seatbelts are done with fabric and photoetch buckle. One thing I have to mention on the inside of the doors, the "speakers" are NOT decals or tampoes, they're actually textured and the holes are painted black. Just breathtaking. When the doors are open, one can see a metal piece with "CROWN" etched on it as a stepguard, This is present on four doors.
The second row seats are just as well made as the front, with the same seatbelts. The center of the rear seats can fold down as well. The only niggle here is that the air vents on the floor in the middle are not coloured, but are molded. The back of the seats, under the rear window, we see the same beautiful speakers, and moldings of the sunscreens painted black. The amount of detail on this model is just crazy… More details to mention, from the back seats, we can see the seatbacks of the first row seats have handles, and they have silver painted accents as well. And note the driver side front seat, the middle part can fold down, to allow the passenger to lean his feet on it, now that's accuracy!

Paint - accuracy=10 detail=10
The paint is rich and smooth throughout the model, with no orange peel anywhere. I've heard of paint issues with the black Crown developing after awhile, but nothing wrong with mine yet (and I hope it stays this way!).

Tampo/Decals - accuracy=N/A detail=N/A
Why did I leave this category in my review when it doesn't apply? Because it's to iterate again how detailed this model is. There are NO tampoes/decals on this model. All badging is done by photoetch, or a separate chromed piece.

Tires/Wheels - accuracy=9 detail=9
The rims are just beautiful. The multi-spoke design is replicated completely true to the 1:1, and even better, the colour is correct. Looking at the rims, one would think they're silver rims. That isn't quite true, as in the above brake disc pic (the one with flash, left), you can see that the rims are actually gold-ish coloured. This little detail was not overlooked by Jadee, well done! The lugnuts are so well molded, they look like separate pieces. And the best part is the beautifully molded Toyota logo in the center of the rims, they're very well detailed/defined. The only reason this section did not get perfect is because the tires are unbranded. However, the tire tread is correct, and the tires are very realistic.

Undercarriage - accuracy=7 detail=8
I couldn't find any pics of the 1:1's undercarriage, so the accuracy score was only a "benefit of the doubt" score. However, the details here are quite well done. The heatshield under the muffler is nice, and the two gas tanks (not sure what they are?) in front of the rear wheels looks like a separate piece. Best part is, all four wheels have working suspension.

SUMMARY:
accuracy=9 detail=9 (scores were rounded)
Everyone should get this model just to have a benchmark of how other 1:18's should be produced. The number of working features, details, QC is just phenomenal. I can say with certainty that this is the most detailed model for the price as of now (Oct/05). I purchased my model for around 120CAD including shipping, insurance, and Custom taxes. There are other colours recently released, including silver, dark blue metallic, and pearl white. The black colour seems to be disappearing very quickly from ebay, so get them while they still available. The pearl white is also an amazing colour, and I hope to add it to my collection in the near future.
Be warned that there are two versions of the 1:18 Crown model produced. Make sure the one you purchase is the same as mine. It has the 1:1 key and the 11 spoke rims. The other version of the Crown is not as nice, has really nasty wheels, and the rims are completely different.

Review added to the DX Model Review Database on 22-OCT-2005

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dimensions have been measured and added. The model is in scale, except rear ride height is a tad low...

G

·
That is a fantastic model and a great review Gary. I really enjoyed. :nicejob

However I do have a few questions. Firstly, are you sure the rear ride height is incorrect? It looks fairly accurate to me. Maybe the front ride height is incorrect, ie too high?

Secondly, are the grab handles on the rear of the front seats separate pieces or are they moulded as part of the seat? Thats the first time i've seen those on a 1:18 btw.

How easy is it to move the front seats back and forth? I'm assuming they move within guide rails on the floor as 1:1 seats do.

Does the exterior build quality match Kyosho's 5er? Do cleaning cloths snag on the lights and chrome work?

The tinting and moulding quality of the lights is pretty groundbreaking. I'm having difficulty thinking of similarly prices models with headlights as good as these.

I want one now Gary gunster :giggle

:cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Thanks Jim! :happy

The answers to your questions are in red below:
Firstly, are you sure the rear ride height is incorrect? It looks fairly accurate to me. Maybe the front ride height is incorrect, ie too high?
Yes, the rear ride height is incorrect. There are some pics I found on a Chinese news site that shows pics of the China Crown, its ride height is very high, like the front of the model. As I mentioned in the review, the ride height of the China Crown had to be raised 10mm because of bad public roads in China. However, in pics of the Japanese Crown, the rear height is more correct.

Secondly, are the grab handles on the rear of the front seats separate pieces or are they moulded as part of the seat? Thats the first time i've seen those on a 1:18 btw.
The grab handles on the rear of the seats are separate pieces. I agree, they're very nice :D

How easy is it to move the front seats back and forth? I'm assuming they move within guide rails on the floor as 1:1 seats do.
The seats aren't too hard to move back and forth, and they stop wherever you stop pushing them. The Prado SE, however, has a "spring loaded" feel to the front seat movement. It's either front, or snaps to back position once u push it enough.

Does the exterior build quality match Kyosho's 5er? Do cleaning cloths snag on the lights and chrome work?
Build quality is just as good as the 5er, if not better. I just tried using a glasses cleaner cloth on the model, and the chromework does not snag the cloth. The lights do not either, except for the edge of the front lights (the sides closest to the grill).

G

·
Thanks for the answers Gary. That is a fantastic model. The high ride height does make sense as I know some Chinese roads are poor. Does the 1:1 Crown have adjustable suspension like the MB S-Class, where it is possible to change the ride height?

:cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I'm not sure about the adjustable suspension, but I highly doubt the Crown will have it, as even though in China, it's the top of the line sedan, in Japan/HK etc., the Celsior is there above it....

·
Registered
337 Posts
nice reveiw @ gundam... next, i want to get the buick royaum (the biggest buick sedan you can get in china). it looks like a cross between a cadillac deville, buick roadmaster, and 1995 impala to me. Everytime I bid one one on ebay, i get outbidded (lol). looking forward to more of your reviews. wasn't going to get the gs430, but now i can't wait to have them side-be-side for a comparison.

EricP

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Eric! :happy

Ya, I recently saw the Royaum on evilbay... I was gonna bid, but that thing goes for crazy $$$, and when I factor in the 35USD shipping, I usually don't bid unless it's really low :(

And I'm not much of a Buick man anyway, if I get one, it'll have to be the HRV :giggle

I'm not expecting much from the AUTOart GS430, to be honest. I expect it to be a well built model, but with none of the features the Chinese DE's have. I'll see if I get one when I'm on my vacation...

·
Registered
337 Posts
gundam do you have or have seen the big toyota land cruiser (not the prado) that's white with some type of designing stripes on it? if so, what can you tell me about the detail on it. went ahead and ordered the lsgs430. my expectations aren't too high, but this is the model that will tell me if i will stay with autoart after their prices went up. i got mine for 80 bucks (which included shipping), but lately i've been very disturbed by autoart not equalling the quality of the FAWs, GMPs and Classic Carlectables. let me know about the cruiser. And do you know anything about the detail of the Madza 6? Thanks

Regards,

EricP

·
Registered
337 Posts
On other thing @ gundam. have you noticed that if you pull down the armrest/control panel in the back of the crown, there is some kind of painting of some sort? well it looks like a painting. i can't figure what else it's suppose to be. take a look and tell me if see that too or know what it suppose to be?? thanks

EricP

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Hi Eric!

I'll check out the Crown tonight.

I have both the Landcruiser VX-R and the Mazda 6 bought (gonna pick up next week in Hong Kong). From what I've heard, the Landcruiser is the best FAW model EVER (at least tied to Crown). It's got a lot of movable parts, and the QC is pretty good. It seems to be disappearing fast, so scoop it up if you see it...

The Mazda 6 seems to be a very basic, albeit well made FAW model. The brake discs seem to be plastic, which kind of disappoints me, but otherwise, it looks nice from the pics I've seen.

But of course, between the two models, get the LC first... It seems most Toyota FAW's are VERY well made (except the crap Prado and Crowns).

EDIT: whoops, forgot to talk about the GS430... I'm thinking about whether to get this model or not... I'm guessing it'll be AUTOart Performance quality, and not truly AUTOart Millenium quality. Let me know what you think of it when you get it! thanks! :cheers

·
Registered
337 Posts
gundam, are you going to hong kong? if so, can you pic me up a cruiser and/or 1/18 buick royaum? if you think you can, we can negotiate something for your troubles. if it will be too much for you to do, i'll understand. just see that you're in canada, and thought it might be easier and cheaper for me than bidding on ebay (i always lose the bids-- lol). let me know if that is feasible and look at the crown for me tonight please. thanks again.

EricP

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eric, sadly, the place which I purchased my LC is all out (MCE). I'll look around ther other stores and see if I can find more, but I'm pretty sure stores in HK sell the FAW's for pretty outrageous prices (except MCE).

I'll keep my eye out for the Buick for you. What price ranges for both models are you looking at? What colour for the LC?

·
Registered
337 Posts
gundam i was hoping between the 80 to 90 bucks range (U.S.) definitely not over $100 USD for each. on ebay i've seen buy it now prices on the buick from $49 to $75 (plus $35 to $38 shipping). cruiser i've seen $75 to $83 (same on shipping). so let me know buddy. thanks again.

EricP

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okie dokie Eric, I'll keep my eye out for ya. :cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll be back on week of Nov 28. Hopefully I'll have access to a computer in Hong Kong once a week at least, so I can keep ppl on DX updated on my "Crazy Diecast Expedition" :lol

It'd be convenient for me for you to PM me your address, as I might be sending from Hong Kong, since Canada Post shipping = super expensive :p

·
Registered
337 Posts
will do. i will pm you now. also, look in the classified sections for my items i have for sell or trade. i need to update it, but maybe we can work something out there too for your troubles, if you see something you really want that i still have. thanks again buddy. EricP

P.S. i'm in Chicago

G

·
Thats a terrific review Gary! I never knew this model was made, or at least I forgot. I like the speaker detail and carpet. The entire model looks great and especially in that color. :cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Jacob! :happy

I'm loving this model so much, I'm contemplating getting the white one too! :help

Black is so... mafia-ish, while the white looks more like a rich man's ride :giggle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts