DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
This review can now also be found in full on my website, along with the rest of my collection and reviews. Just click my signature banner to take a look!

Review time again. My recently received Jaguar XJR9 1988 Le Mans winner by Exoto. This is my first really high end model and I was blown away but as always I will try and be as objective and honest as possible. Scoring is once again an overall mark for each category reviewed, and the marks out of 10 are based on the DX system.

Exterior
The exterior of this car is simply stunning. Overall appearance is superb, and the only real complaint I can have with the overall look of the model is that the engine cover and doors do not fit quite as I might have thought from a model of this price. Nevertheless, the model is a nice weight and feels well put together and sturdy, the fine aerial aside. Openings are perforated and very neatly done. Even the side vents appear to be perforated with a fine black mesh. Headlights are good, with well fitted covers complete with silver screw/rivet detailing, and the bulbs are pretty convincing. Rear lights are small but a good job again with no stubs and neatly fitted. Details such as the wiper, filler caps and so on are all nicely made. Exhausts are not drilled very deep and this is apparent although normally not visible given the angle of the exhaust tips. The rear wing slots nicely into place although it is no more secure than it needs to be, and mine seems to sit very slightly off straight. I'm nitpicking though, and the fine details and overall quality are very nice.

Score: 8/10

Paint
Not much to say here. Paint is very smooth with a rich appearance and accurate colouring. Paint around the special door hinges has been rubbed off a little by the opening of the doors but otherwise paint around edges of panels seems good, and the underside of the engine cover is finished in black.

Tampo and Decals
Exoto are rightly proud of the livery on this car. They claim it is entirely decal free and this appears to be the case, with the possible exception of the rear wing sponsors, although I can't always tell. The livery seems accurate and is largely very precise and sharply done. Most importantly, the correct Silk Cut badging is present, unlike on the other models released so far. There are a few small flaws aroound the doors but gaps between parts are mostly done well. Also there is what looks like a small smudge around both rear corners of the car on the black line but this is the exception to the rule.

Tyres and Wheels
The back tyres and wheels are of course hidden most of the time but even so the wheels and tyres are very well done. The black wheels are featureless but sharp and accurate, and the wheel nuts are nicely made, as are the air valves. Tyres are branded realistically, and the sidewalls are slightly shiny, whilst the rest of the tyre has a more worn and very realistic look.

Score: 9/10

Brakes
A flaw in this area I'm afraid. At first I thought the model had static brake discs which would be unnaceptable. However, now I'm not so sure. It seems that the discs will move if you just manage to move the wheel right. So either they are supposed to be fixed and one of mine is loose, or all 4 of mine are not attached properly and hence are not turning. This is presumably a quality control issue if the latter is correct but either way this is the one thing that I find most disappointing on a model of this price. Nevertheless, the discs are nice metallic discs with very neat drilling, and the calipers are reasonably nicely detailed with Jaguar branding. The score here reflects my model but if others do not have this problem then please post a reply to that effect.

Score: 6/10

Engine
This model more than redeems itself here. The engine is a thing of beauty. Exoto look difficult to beat in this department and this is a superb effort. There are so many individual parts and they are all finely made. Many of the parts are plastic but you wouldn't believe it to look at them, and every time I open the engine cover I find more details. The whole thing is outstanding but details that spring to mind are the gorgeous exhausts and fantastic hoses. Certainly plenty to see here, and with touches like the wiring to the rear lights inside the engine cover this is clearly a class above most other models. I don't like to give perfect scores as there is always room for improvement but I think this really is among the very best available at the moment.

Score: 10/10

Interior
The superb work continues here. Doors swing open accurately and stay there, and are complete with fabric tethers. Maybe these were used to assist in closing the doors, I don't know. Fine detail is in abundance again here. The carbon fibre looks excellent, and the textured seat is fitted with individual branded fabric seatbelts and photo etched buckles. All switches and dials are very neat, as are the pedals and the suede effect steering wheel. Obviously the stripped race interior was basic in the 1:1, but the model captures the details that are present very well.

Score: 9/10

Overall, this model is really very, very good. I do love this model, but I have tried to keep the review unbiased. Even so, the car still scores highly. This is not a cheap model, but I was very glad to pick mine up rather on impulse after Stevie told me of it's existence. I hope that this model will at least hold its value but that is not my reason for buying. As a Le Mans winner, and a desirable one at that, it was a must have for me, and if you can stomach the price I don't think you will be disappointed.

Overall Score: 8.3/10

Review added to the DX Model Review Database

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Great review, Dave! That's a fabulous model, congratulations!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
:goodjob Dave, thanks for the revew, very thorough and accurate with great pics. Very well done!

I have the #1 without the Silk Cut livery and almost everything you said applies to mine. The only differences being that mine does not have any paint smudges on the doors and my brake callipers are chrome. The discs on mine are also static. Not what one would expect at this price.

G

·
Great review!! :cheers One quick Qs..Is the gear shifter (or handbrake?) at the right side of driver seat(near to the door) movable just like the exoto's c9?

G

·
:iagree

Not sure how I missed this one as well.

It was a quite refreshing to read a review that wasn't biased nor influenced - that I thank you for Dave :cheers

Great job and I look forward to the next review.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.