DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a custom Solido VW Cab on ebay that inspired me to do this to mine.
Funny thing is, I thought about doing this last year and forgot about it.
I am having an eternal debate about removing the bumpers.
I was all for it until I found that the Porsche tires are so tall, it keeps me from dropping the suspension down low like I wanted to. I think it might look silly being so high off the ground with no bumpers?

What do you think? :feedback

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Looking good, Jeff...now just get rid of those pesky bumpers and it'll look even better!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Looks pretty good, I think you can have the bumper being 'removable' parts. They aren't glued on very strongly, the one on my Maisto coupe came off during the ride home and now it's a piece that can be put in place or taken out anytime.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Looks pretty good with the Porsche wheels on it. I think it would look really cool if you smoothed out the body panels, got rid of the chrome (including the bumpers) and shaved off the rear lights. It would be a ton of work but the 'smoothed out' lines would really make it look modern with still a throwback design. Similar to what the VW designers did when they released the modern version but yours would be mods done to the original's body.

Sean

G

·
I would leave the bumpers on. And the low profile tires is a good idea too. But I think it's nice as it is now.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I got some good memories about this one so I definately like it spiced up. Look at this good old friend I made many years ago.(I think it was back in 2001 :confused ) Theyre practically related:)
I did cut the bumpers to give it a sleeker look, but kept some of them for a classic charm.

Good stuff :cheers

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the inspiration, guys!

I thought about trying to fit the Porsche motor, the work required is not really worth the result. I am trying to fit the Porsche exhaust.

I will see if i can get the bumpers off in one piece, they are pretty sturdy on my example.

I don't think i am going to completely shave all the chrome off on this one, I already have one of the Maisto "Dubbed" VW's and I want this one to be in between stock and a truly radical custom.

I wish I had a big supply of extra wheels to try but I don't. These are the lowest profile tires I have. Gary has this cool old Maisto Porsche sitting over here and the heels from that car look like they would work......

Thorsty, thanks for the picture!
I was thinking of doing the interior with darker floor panels to go with the beige seats and I really like the parcel shelf on yours.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Have you thought about keeping the stock wheels, but removing the springs so it will droop all the way down?
I would also remove the bumpers and black out the chrome center spine, handles, and W/S frame.

If you do decide on the Porsche wheels, how about the seats too?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.