DiecastXchange Forum banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Thanks Felix, that jet is the Crusader, the Corsair is the blue prop plane - top right, I also think that 1:100 scale is perfect for the planes

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Yup I thought it was the Crusader, does it have a wing that can be tilted upwards from the fuselage as on the real thing? I think the idea was that the plane needed to maintain a high angle of attack when coming in to land on deck but the pilots view was consequently terrible. So my understaning is that the wings when tilted up and back they are at a high angle of attack but the fuselage is not so the pilot can see during approach.
The Corsair I believe Felix is referring to is the Corsair II which was externally very similar to the Crusader but was a ground attack plane (the A7 I think???) which was also used by the USAF and the Marines (as well as the Navy) and by other NATO forces (I know Portgual had them). It has a more bulbous nose, a shorter fatter fuselage and a different wing without the tilt mechanism and with more hard points for mud moving ordinance. Plus charmingly I believe it was colloquialy known as the SLUF during the Vietnam war..."Short Little Ugly Ffffff..." you know the rest! :lol :lol :lol

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Please accept my apologies Felix, Ronan is right, as usual :giggle

It is the Crusader not a Corsair sitting next to the Sea Harrier

Ronan, because of the scale of the model planes there are no 'working' parts on any of them (apart from the rotors on the Helicopters)

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Thanks Ken for the link, I am going to try build one "If i remember how to :giggle " or if I find one of them 1:24 planes over here I might just get that, as the pilot in the spitfire sets if off real nice.

Also in you awesome little collection, the little mini with the union jack on the roof, is that from the italian job? and is that austin powers jag in there as well.

Thanks again Ken for the info on the spitfire.

:cheers

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
No, Mike

The local shop was selling sets of Hongwell Minis (5 cars per set for £9.95) , so I bought 1 set of normal Minis' and 2 sets of Racing Minis' which included a Union Flag decorated Mini

I've seen the Austin Powers 1:18 E Type, frankly I don't like it, so I didn't buy it

Mike, I don't want to be pedantic but my country's flag is called the Union Flag,
the Jack part is the flagpole, unless it flies on a Royal Navy ship, then it is called the Union Jack :giggle

Anyway, I do hope you do get the 1:24 Spitfire, it really does look good, just think, you'll be able to get 1:24 vehicles to go with it!

Oh, Oh, more expense

Cheers Mate

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Ken, just a curiosity: isn't Great Britains's flag the Union Flag? I thought England's flag was white with the red cross stretching over it. Or can I use GB as a synonym for England?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Luciano

England's flag = Cross of St George

Scotland's flag = Cross of St Andrew

Wales flag = Welsh Dragon

Combination of all 3 = Union Flag

England, Scotland and Wales = Great Britain

The true name of the country I live in = The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Here endeth the potted history lesson :giggle

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
:cheers Ken & sorry about that. so its the Union flag on our Austrailan flag :confused is that how I should be saying it. Just always been taught over here the jack part.

I do love them little mini tho, didnt realise they were racing ones, as the red one in front with the white roof and white stripes on the hood "copper s?" looks like one of them out of the Italian Job.

Will keep you posted on the spitfire.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
The red Mini with white stripes is a Cooper 'S' but not from the Italian Job

As an interesting aside, legend has it that John Cooper (the design/builder) and a colleague wanted the car to be called either the Cooper Sport or Cooper Special, they couldn't decide either way, so it became Cooper 'S'

The 'S' doesn't stand for anything

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Mr Robinson, you surely know that the Union Flag is made up of the crosses of St George (England), St Andrew (Scotland) & St Patrick (Ireland). Yr Ddraig Coch is not represented in the design, as Wales was conquered by the English in the 13th century, the last true Prince of Wales being killed in battle in 1286.

However, the crowns of the other three were joined by Acts of Union in 1707 (England & Scotland) & then the addition of Ireland a century later in 1801, adding the diagonal red cross to the flag.

Sorry to be a pedant, anyway, that's a cracking collection you have there.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Luciano,

Please don't use Great Britain and England interchangeably, as it really irritates we Celts in Scotland, Northern Ireland & Wales. Although, you cannot be blamed for thinking that you can, as this conceit is prevalent in the English establishment and media.

Even Great Britain is strictly incorrect as it excludes the people of N Ireland - using the UK when meaning the whole is better.

jinx

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Thanks to ken and Jinx, I have learned some very interesting history today :happy

WTG Gents :cheers :cheers

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
With grateful thanks to jinx :nicejob , for proving that my memory must be failing :giggle.
I have done a bit of research for the correct definition of the components countries of the United Kingdom.

The United Kingdom is made up of four main countries:
England
Scotland
Wales
Northern Ireland

England - The flag of St. George
England was the most powerful nation in the British Isles. England was often at war with other countries. Surrounded by Wales, Scotland and Ireland, she feared that these neighbouring countries could be used as a base for attack and could gang up with England's enemies.

Scotland - The flag of St. Andrew
In 1603 James VI of Scotland became James I of England. Despite sharing a monarch, England and Scotland kept their own Parliaments. It was only in 1707 that they were joined by the Act of Union and the first union flag was created. This was due to fears that Scotland and France would join together to replace the new king George, with James the son of James II.

Wales
Wales conquered by England in the 13th Century. There had been rebellions and the biggest threat were the English Marcher lords who controlled half the land. In 1536, under Henry VIII, the Act of Union joined England and Wales officially. The Marcher Lordships were abolished and English law was extended to cover all of Wales.

Ireland - the flag of St. Patrick
Henry VII had claimed control in the 15th Century, it wasn't until the 17th Century that there was an almost complete takeover of Irish land by English and Scottish settlers. In 1690 the last of a number of rebellions was put down. Power now lay in the hands of the Protestants. The flag of St. Patrick was added in 1801 to make the Union Jack we have today.

Creation of the Union Flag
As Wales became part of England in 1536, she is represented by the English Flag.
Scotland is represented by the diagonal white lines and the blue background of the Union Flag.
Northern Ireland is represented by the diagonal red lines. These were a later addition to the flag of 1707.
England is represented by the horizontal and vertical red lines, together with the white lines in the background.

The Union Jack
The Union Flag was designed as a symbol of unity between the four countries. As you have seen, each country is represented. It soon became known as the Union Jack. The word 'Jack' means a flag on a small mast at the front of a ship.

The Future?
With the member nations of the United Kingdom each fighting for independence, the Union Jack may not be with us for much longer. The individual nations often prefer to use their own national flag as opposed to the Union Jack.
They may, however, all be replaced by something else though....

I'm sorry that I have obviously gone Off-topic

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
It may be off topic but it is also very interesting!

I love to learn new things :cheers

61 - 80 of 97 Posts