DiecastXchange Forum banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Fantastic as usual Ken! One thing though is that I think the flag of St.Patrick is the flag associated with the provence of Ulster, most of which now comprises the 6 counties of Northern Ireland (there are 3 other counties in Ulster which are part of the Republic of Ireland). The hand in the middle is known as the red hand of Ulster. The other 3 provinces in Ireland (Leinster, Munster and Connaught) each have their own flags too.
The all Ireland flag up to the act of union in 1801 was an all green flag with a gold harp in the middle and I have to say I think it is a far nicer looking flag than the green white and orange tricolour we have today! :cheers
I must see if I can find a pic of it to show you, but it hasn't been in official use since 1801.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Yes indeed, the most well known example being Northern Ireland which has been in the news recently due to the failure to reimplement the Good Friday agreement which was intended to have a Northern Ireland parliament to run the provence with the exception of matters of defence and foreign policy (which would still be controlled from London). Both parties (the hard line republicans-Sinn Fein/IRA and the hard line Unionists-Ian Paisleys party) are diametrically opposed to each other and you would find more mutual trust in a KKK/Black Panthers love in than with the Northern Irish political scene! Unfortunately the middle ground in Northern Irish politics has been totally lost and it is very hard to see how they will reestablish a measure of self rule. Also, people in the Republic of Ireland and the rest of Britain are not so sure they want to pay the price of getting an agreement either as part of it requires paramilitaries/terrorists on both sides being released as part of a settlement. One ex-IRA guy robbed a bank in Limerick (southern Ireland!) and shot dead a Gardai (what we call the police in Ireland) and the republicans wanted him released as they said he was a political prisoner! 90% polled in Ireland disagreed and the police threatened some form of strike action if this murdering bank robber was released so he wasn't. Anyway, the Northern Irish problem is one of the most intractible in the world it seems, so not easy to solve!

There is a Scottish parliament too which controlls much of the governance of Scotland and I think there is a Welsh National Assembly too. So potentially there are up to (including the Northern Ireland Parliament) 5 parliaments/national assemblys in Ireland and Britain! Alot for two small islands! The Irish Republic or Eire (commonly just known as Ireland) comprises 26 of the 32 counties in Ireland as a whole and is entirely independant from the UK since 1921 and it a separate nation within Europe. Every other parliament is ultimately responsible to Westminster in London. :cheers

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Too many chiefs for too few braves in a very small tepee, eh? :lol

I thought these separatist movements were popping around because of the ECM. If Norther Ireland, Scotland and Whales came into the ECM, there would no need for them to stay under GB's political and economical umbrella.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
:lol That's about the gist of it!!! :giggle

I don't think these separatist movements intend for full independance (although I don't know much about them to be honest) but I think it is more about controlling local government. They do seem happy to remain in the overall framework of the UK for matters of national policy, defense and also I think income tax and national insurance/health. (I'm mostly guessing though so I could be wrong about some of the above!).

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Thanks a million, Ronan, for your Irish input. you obviously know far more than me about the Irish situation

But, what is interesting, is the fact that Tony Blair (our Prime Minister) seems to be very slow in arranging a referendum regarding UK changeover to the Euro currency (in my opinion - us Brits will reject it and keep our beloved £££s - hopefully)

I might be a stick in the mud, but because prices increased so much, when we converted to decimal currency in 1971, I fear that there will be another increase if we did join the Euro

Anyway, Ronan, thanks again - just think, come February for you and your family, it will be pounds and pennies for a year.

They look like this (£ and p) :giggle

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Wow thanks all for the Info, sorry Ken I did not mean for it to get so off topic, but glad It did, as this info is gold, well I wont start about the aussie history "Balls & Chains :giggle or on the chain gang :giggle " as we are a much newer nation.

Just have to pop back in here to see the awesome spitfire, I'm so In love.

:cheers

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Not that I want to de-rail this thread train any more, :giggle but have you seen the 21th Century Soldier 1/18 Spitfire MK I? I have one in transit from Virginia as we speak err...type. Can't wait to get it!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Apologies Ronan, but you have whetted my thirst for knowledge!

The tri-color flag of Ireland pictured above was based on that of France and first used in 1848. The green represents the Catholic, Gaelic and Anglo-Norman communities, the orange represents the planter group of Northern Ireland while the white center signifies a hope of peace and trust between the two.

The Erin-go-bragh flag, sometimes called the Irish-American flag, features a gold harp surrounded by clover with the words Erin-go-bragh (Ireland Forever) on a field of green. Versions of this flag were carried by Irish regiments in the civil war.

And now for something completely different...the Four Provinces flag. Each quadrant of the flag features a different Irish province. Starting with the upper left quadrant and moving clockwise, you see the provinces of Leinster, Ulster, Connacht and Munster.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Ronan, not just 5 parliaments or assemblies in the British Isles, as the Isle of Man & the four Channel Islands also have their own parliaments. Whilst HRH Q E II is the titular head of state, these offshore islands have their own internal governance in terms of tax raising powers etc.

As you say, the various set ups can lead to a lot of uncertainity & not just for people outside these islands. Even sport can lead to confusion, for instance both the Republic of Ireland & Northern Ireland have their own football (soccer) teams, but, when playing rugby it is the whole of the island of Ireland!

:confused

jinx

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
:lol Well, I do love history and the story behind things!

It is funny that I can use the same money in my pocket in Spain, Germany, France and so on (and have done so!) but when I got to London, our closest neighbour, we have to change our money! So for purely selfish reasons I'd love if the UK went with the Euro.

However I agree with you that it is unlikely the UK would vote in favour of it in a referendum. The price rises you are worried about happened in Ireland when we went from pounds, shillings and pence to decimal (around the same time the UK did in the early 70s) and they happened again when we went to the euro. Not by much but they did happen. :ranting

Apparently Italy was the worst for price gouging.

If you put me on the spot I would be hard pressed to give the man on the Clapham omnibus a reason as to why he should give up Sterling for the Euro. It makes alot of sense for the business community especially for exporters, and hence it might mean a few more manufacturing jobs. It is handy when travelling and when shopping online (as it is a bit easier to compare prices across Europe) but that's about it. Well I suppose the notes are a little smaller and neater in your wallet and the Euro coins are nice and light so you have less weighty "shrapnel" in your pocket after a night out on the tiles!!! :giggle
But other than that I can't see big advantages for the man in the street. Tony will have his work cut out I would say convincing people to change. :cheers

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
:lol You are totally correct! I forgot about the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands!!! Talk about alot of parliaments for such a small corner of the World!!!!

Sport wise the relationship between the North and South of Ireland is odd! As you said in the case of soccer there are separate National teams. But the Irish Rugby team is drawn from all 32 counties and in Gaelic sports (such as Hurling and Gaelic Football) it is an all Ireland championship which takes no account of the division of the island. :cheers

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
:lol :lol :lol I love it Ken! Great research! I think the Erin-go-bragh flag was adopted by the Irish American community in the 19th Century in the States and it was also a symbol of the Irish Home Rule lobby group in the 19th century as well.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Learning a lot here :nicejob

I have seen that "Erin-go-bragh flag" in more than a few homes, Bars (Pubs) and St. Patricks Day Parades.
Cleveland has a very large and active Irish American population.
Never knew that this wasn't an "Offical" Flag.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts