DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here it all is, my collection after 1 Month so-far.

Lets start at the beginning, that's always a good place. With my first model I bought.
This is a Mercedes CLK GTR made by AUTOart.
This I bought from a diecast-shop I happened to be passing with my other diecast addicted friends.
This was one that happened to catch my eye because I remember back to the 1998 GT series and seeing this car with its fancy livery.
I paid just 25Pounds for it, mainly since it was a reduction for its ariel missing.
When I got it home later that day, and had a look, I was very pleased as soon as I had a proper look. But there was one thing I was a bit gutted about. It's the fact that I tried to take the back bodywork section off and it was impossible, I was getting abit forceful with it so I thought it was best to leave it and stopped incase I damaged something.

I love the rear graphics on this, it was the deciding factor in me purchasing it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These next 2 I bought myself a few days after the Mercedes.
These being 2 Bond cars, An Aston-Martin Vanquish and a Jaguar XKR that were used in the last Bond film Die Another Day.
I bought them at a Local ToyRUs for 20 Quid each.
I love all the features and weapons these have and for such budget priced models, these surely are fabulous.

They sure look great together.

This Jag has a boot big enough for Golf Club's, shame they ruined that by filling it with Mortar Bombs.

The amazing Gatlin Gun, as we have seen in Terminator 2 and Predator, a Gatlin Gun can tare through cars and forests like they were made from rice paper.

The badge detail is so fine, you can actually read JAGUAR & SUPERCHARDGED on it, WOW.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These next 2 I also bought together, one of my Diecast addict friend had just bought one of these AUTOart Mazda 787B, and couldn't stop raving about how brilliant it's detail was, I didn't really think much about it , until I saw it for myself and I was just amazed.
I had to have one, no matter what.
Had a look around at a different model shop just outside Oxford, and while I saw it there was an AUTOart Mazda RX-8 with the same body livery on it, and I couldn't help but think how well they would both go together on a good display.
And since (Until recently when he sold it) my Dad had a full scale one in Red at the time, I was a fan of the car anyway.
The pair set me back around 110 Pounds for the both of them.

I loved the way AUTOart captured the rear "Suicide" rear door's.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Great start!

And, on the AutoArt MB racer, you were right to stop trying to take it apart. First, did you check to make sure that you had removed any screws that are keeping the parts together? Second, I literally destroyed one of these, after having removed the retaining screws, as they are impossible to remove.

Let's have more pics as you add on!

:cheers

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
You definately didn't start small!!! Great models and I'm sure that there will be many more to come!

:cheers
Sean

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Your collection is certainly off to a more auspicious start than mine was a year and a half ago, Kyle - congratulations!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I beg to disagree, Dave - I think it's actually cheaper to acquire a nice collection by not having a theme, as long as you show a little restraint and stay within your budget (which most of us have trouble doing, whether we have a theme or not lol). The wider the focus of your collection, the more models you have to choose from when you make a purchase, giving you a better chance of getting a bargain.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I take your point John. Certainly I wouldn't have paid over the odds for models as I have done a couple of times because they were central to a theme. But I guess I am lacking that necessary restraint :giggle If I had no theme, or no wishlist to work from, I would end up with models that I quite liked and were a good deal, but that in the end took up valuable display space that could be better used by models I liked better.

In fact, when I started out, exactly that happened, and I am going to have to sell off a few average Maistos that I don't much care for to free up space, probably making a loss on them.

So I think a word of caution to a new collector to at least consider which route is best for him is no bad idea!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers guys :cheers BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE.

This one I bought because it grabbed my attention as soon as I looked at it.
I was a bit wary about buying it but after having a closer look, I took it to the counter straight away.
This is a Maisto Audi R8, this one based on the car that won at Adelade back in 2000.
Its livery was just such a treat to look at, and its inner detail was quite nice considering I paid 25 quid for it.

Here's something I was surprised about, this is a car that raced at Adelade, and yet it has a map of the Curcit De-la Sarthe on the floor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This I was sold by a friend, it's a AUTOart Mercedes G-Wagon 500, I did think it rather unique for someone to make an Off-Roader.
I was glad that I did because I really like the cars AUTOart are making.
And for 35Pound, rather a bargain I think.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This next one, was sold along with the G500 by the same friend.
He sold it in needing to make space for newer models, and I was glad to take it off him since I saw the full scale version up close when I was at the 1998 Le-Mans. Now my mate wanted around 25 pounds for it, but I wasn't to convinced since it has a lower level of detail especially next to my Mazda 787B, so with a bit of haggling I managed to buy it for 15 Pounds.
The car in question is a Mclaren F1 LM one of a 2 car team that was raced at the '98 Le-Mans, only this one didn't finish.
As I said, detail isn't high up, and talk about a out of proportion ride height.
But still, there's something about it that I really do like, maybe it's the fact a mean looking car, painted black with black wheels, it really does look menacing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My last 1:18 model, and my latest I had to do some thinking about.
Coming back to my local hobby shop, I happened to see this alongside the Continental GT, now if it were up to me I would have bought both, even if I am not a huge fan of the Conti GT, but money on my person was rather short and I needed some cash for Petrol.
So I decided to get the one I liked most which is this.
This being a MiniChamps Bentley Arnage T, and it is pukka, no other words needed.

Now this I found out by complete accident, when I first opened the boot, the boot carpet didn't fit properly into the boot floor.
I did think I had bought a broken model, but when I took the carpet out there was a trapdoor at the bottom and found out there was a full Bentley Tool Kit, what a brilliant detail to capture. And it was a good thing the carpet just fit back into place without problems, and the Umbrellas in there respective holders I find pretty smart.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now my 1:43, I had read in a Model magazine about a company called IXO, and they had a line of models that are Le-Mans overall winners, something I was rather interested.
So on the same day I took a trip into AlexReade in Soho, and had a look for some, they had these 6 just back in stock, and bought them there and then.
So this being a mission for me now, just like Pokemon (If you can remember them) I've gotta catch them all, of collect as it were.

Sauber Mercedes C9, 1989 Winner

Mazda 787B, 1991 Winner

Peugeot 905B, 1993 Winner

Mclaren F1 GTR, 1995 Winner

BMW LMR, 1999 Winner

Audi R8, 2002 Winner

Well that's it for now.
Thanks very much for looking, and feel free to comment and I hope the Photo's I took were good.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Kyle, you are off to an amazing start, it has taken me a couple of years to build up a collection of 20 cars. You picked some crackers too. The R8 livery is amazing and definitely a keeper as they are LE I believe. I guess it has the Le Mans map in because Maisto also used the mold for the Le Mans Joest cars which did race at Le Mans. I suppose they forgot to alter it when they made this livery.

The UT McLarens are also very popular, and you will find that they do sell for more than they are really worth in terms of detail, so you were lucky to haggle your friend down.

I collect Le Mans winners in 1:18 and it's a good theme, though of course a lot aren't available in 1:18 like they are in 1:43.

Your photos are looking good. Are you just using a backing board at the moment? Because there is plenty of stuff you can buy to help with taking pictures.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Dave

My backgrounds just the backside of a wall poster, since a few of the Photo backgrounds here are white, the back of a poster just came to me when i was taking one down off my bedroom wall, and just stuck it to the kitchen work surface with some bluetack and that was that.

My Kitchen has a glass roof, so there is alot of light coming in which helps iluminate the cars better, which also means i don't have to spend quite abit of time with setting up lights around the car.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Thanks Kyle for taking the time to show us your collection! You have some fine looking cars there. That Arnage was a treat for the eyes as it's quite the detailed piece. The umbrellas in the boot really caught my attention. :eek:k As for the Loctite McLaren, you did great to get the price down I've seen it sell on eBay and locally for well over $150. Funny how some people covet that particular car so much that they would shell out so much money when in reality, its quality is less than Maisto's Audi R8s. :giggle

Regarding the CLK GTR, I too had a horrible time getting the engine cowl off. I did eventually remove it along with the front to get these photos. trust me, I won't be fighting with my model the get the covers off any more, which is a shame.

Who makes that 1:43 Sauber C9 and what are your thoughts about its quality and value?

·
Registered
902 Posts
yep youve picked some nice model there, i also have the clk & the 787b. you got a great price on the mclaren! i still need to get that one day, & im sure it will be $150+ :dizzy

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.