DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 5 of 82 Posts

· Registered
2,903 Posts
Some re-releases I've been hoping for, including the F40 - a rash free version of it, I'm hoping! Speaking of paint rash, does anyone think that Kyosho leaned their lesson, or that they even give a monkey's? :unsure:

I also might pick one or two of the old Lambos. I'm not too impressed with the Cobras tbh, stance and fit/finish look all over the place there. :rolleyes:

· Registered
2,903 Posts
Could you please elaborate on it more? I'd love to add a Cobra and I guess there's no competition currently. Been looking at the pictures and I'm not convinced, but they don't seem bad. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I quoted some images from their catalogue, and added comments to them.

It's basically problems with ride height at the rear and excessive negative camber on the rear wheels.

One of them, in 1:12 no less, is even missing the wind wings on the windscreen. The 90's "FAM" Cobra (Ferrari's Ass Is Mine), previously owned by Paul Walker - on which the model is based on - has the wind wings.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Now the windscreen on some has a very un-Cobra angle to them. Of course the windscreen angle has always been a point of contention among Cobra guys, with some arguing it should be between 40 and 45 degrees nowadays, and others preferring it "old school" at between 55 and 60 degrees, more on the vertical side of things, which gives the car a more aggressive look. My personal preference is "old school".

On some of these Kyosho models, the windscreen looks even lower than 40 degrees, which I think is very innacurate.

If the pictures of each one of them in the catalogue were at least consistent, then I'd say "well at least their fit and finish is spot on to the path they chose...", but no, from what you can see on their catalogue, it seems each model comes out different, which tells me either Kyosho is hiring people with 6 thumbs on each hand, or there's something wrong with the parts coming out of the moulds.

Here's the pics:

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle White

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

· Registered
2,903 Posts
Wouldn't you want negative camber on a track car? It's usually at least -2.5 and some guys are running -3.0-4.0

edit: went and googled some and here is a 1:1 with appropriate camber and there are many more like it

1:1 with grandpa wheel offset
Yes for track cars, but on the front wheels, for more grip on corners. Never heard of it on the rear wheels, particularly rear wheels only. Of course I'm not a racing car expert, others on here with more knowledge on racing cars maybe able to shed some light on the subject.

Your pictures show cars with neutral camber, that is not what I pointed out on the Kyosho models. I was talking the same kind of problem present on many of the AA Posrche 997, for example.

The red '66 Cobra 427 doesn't have the fat rear tires, not sure why. Maybe current owner's preference.

· Registered
2,903 Posts
There is clearly neg camber on the rear wheel. And yes you run camber on both front and rear, just not as much at the rear, usually about 0.5 less. I think on the model there is the illusion of exaggerated camber cause obviously 1/18 tires don't deform and you see the gap between the table and the outside edge of the tire. But I believe the angle of the wheel face is the same in the 1/1 and 1/18, if not slightly larger
Maybe clear to you, but not clear to me from that angle. And nowhere near as bad as on these Kyosho models.

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree. That is my opinion of these models and the reasons why I will save my money for something else, perhaps even another older release Kyosho Cobra which doesn't look perfect either, but at least closer to the 1:1 than the ones on that catalogue.

I was only asked by @pdc to elaborate on why I disliked these Kyosho Cobras, and that's what I did, so my work here is done. (y)

· Registered
2,903 Posts
Kyosho's 308 is either too wide for the length or the front end is too chunky, it should be a tad slimmer up front and widening towards the front arches should be more pronounced.
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say that the width discrepancy at the front between 1:1 and 1:18, if present, is negligible. Besides, shooting angles and distortion effects from lenses play a role in the resulting images.

The pictures you quoted are of cars of two different eras: Kyosho's model represents the 1982 GTS Quattrovalvole with the optional deep/wide front spoiler, and taller front grille with lights on each end, both of which may give the impresion that the front is wider than it should. The real car picture is an early standard 308 GTB from the 70's, without any of these front features.

I'd argue instead that the Kyosho model actually lacks curves: the front fenders and quarter panels look too straight-lined compared to the real car. The model look as if it's been flattened by a giant foot, I'd say the side panels (including doors) are missing a few milimeters in height.

Here's the same (but resized) 1:18 Kyosho 308 QV pic, now comparing with another 1:1 308 QV pic.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Hood

Another thing wrong on the Kyosho model is that the Ferrari badges on the mirrors are oversized.

(y)

1 - 5 of 82 Posts