DiecastXchange Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

· Registered
7,661 Posts
So what's the big deal about that? I would think every new model that has yet to be made would probably need new toolings anyway. So if they have to, assuming they agree to make such models, bring it on.
I doubt they have the money to produce so many new models.
As I mentioned, I would also like to see them get manufactured.
I have an unpleasant feeling there would be the temptation to re-box Otto sealed resins under their Samurai label.
I already have the Otto versions, and have no desire to get the same (at higher prices) under a different branding.

· Registered
2,789 Posts
Could you please elaborate on it more? I'd love to add a Cobra and I guess there's no competition currently. Been looking at the pictures and I'm not convinced, but they don't seem bad. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I quoted some images from their catalogue, and added comments to them.

It's basically problems with ride height at the rear and excessive negative camber on the rear wheels.

One of them, in 1:12 no less, is even missing the wind wings on the windscreen. The 90's "FAM" Cobra (Ferrari's Ass Is Mine), previously owned by Paul Walker - on which the model is based on - has the wind wings.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Now the windscreen on some has a very un-Cobra angle to them. Of course the windscreen angle has always been a point of contention among Cobra guys, with some arguing it should be between 40 and 45 degrees nowadays, and others preferring it "old school" at between 55 and 60 degrees, more on the vertical side of things, which gives the car a more aggressive look. My personal preference is "old school".

On some of these Kyosho models, the windscreen looks even lower than 40 degrees, which I think is very innacurate.

If the pictures of each one of them in the catalogue were at least consistent, then I'd say "well at least their fit and finish is spot on to the path they chose...", but no, from what you can see on their catalogue, it seems each model comes out different, which tells me either Kyosho is hiring people with 6 thumbs on each hand, or there's something wrong with the parts coming out of the moulds.

Here's the pics:

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle White

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

· Registered
10,104 Posts
Wouldn't you want negative camber on a track car? It's usually at least -2.5 and some guys are running -3.0-4.0

edit: went and googled some and here is a 1:1 with appropriate camber and there are many more like it

1:1 with grandpa wheel offset

· Registered
2,789 Posts
Wouldn't you want negative camber on a track car? It's usually at least -2.5 and some guys are running -3.0-4.0

edit: went and googled some and here is a 1:1 with appropriate camber and there are many more like it

1:1 with grandpa wheel offset
Yes for track cars, but on the front wheels, for more grip on corners. Never heard of it on the rear wheels, particularly rear wheels only. Of course I'm not a racing car expert, others on here with more knowledge on racing cars maybe able to shed some light on the subject.

Your pictures show cars with neutral camber, that is not what I pointed out on the Kyosho models. I was talking the same kind of problem present on many of the AA Posrche 997, for example.

The red '66 Cobra 427 doesn't have the fat rear tires, not sure why. Maybe current owner's preference.

· Registered
10,104 Posts
Your pictures show cars with neutral camber, that is not what I pointed out on the Kyosho models.
There is clearly neg camber on the rear wheel. And yes you run camber on both front and rear, just not as much at the rear, usually about 0.5 less. I think on the model there is the illusion of exaggerated camber cause obviously 1/18 tires don't deform and you see the gap between the table and the outside edge of the tire. But I believe the angle of the wheel face is the same in the 1/1 and 1/18, if not slightly larger

· Registered
7,661 Posts
Where the Essex Wire car is concerned, it was continuously developed throughout it's race career.
I have an old article in a long gone American race replica magazine which details some of these changes.
The article was prompted by the release of the excellent 1/24th scale Monogram kit of the car.
The car may even had more or less camber depending on the circuit - more on twisty, less on fast open.

· Registered
2,789 Posts
There is clearly neg camber on the rear wheel. And yes you run camber on both front and rear, just not as much at the rear, usually about 0.5 less. I think on the model there is the illusion of exaggerated camber cause obviously 1/18 tires don't deform and you see the gap between the table and the outside edge of the tire. But I believe the angle of the wheel face is the same in the 1/1 and 1/18, if not slightly larger
Maybe clear to you, but not clear to me from that angle. And nowhere near as bad as on these Kyosho models.

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree. That is my opinion of these models and the reasons why I will save my money for something else, perhaps even another older release Kyosho Cobra which doesn't look perfect either, but at least closer to the 1:1 than the ones on that catalogue.

I was only asked by @pdc to elaborate on why I disliked these Kyosho Cobras, and that's what I did, so my work here is done. (y)

· Registered
7,661 Posts
Maybe clear to you, but not clear to me from that angle. And nowhere near as bad as on these Kyosho models.

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree. That is my opinion of these models and the reasons why I will save my money for something else, perhaps even another older release Kyosho Cobra which doesn't look perfect either, but at least closer to the 1:1 than the ones on that catalogue.

I was only asked by @pdc to elaborate on why I disliked these Kyosho Cobras, and that's what I did, so my work here is done. (y)
The consensus among some is that the ancient Shelby model is very accurate.
And easily available at knock down prices....

· Registered
10,104 Posts

oh don't get me wrong, I've never owned one and don't care much about them lol

· Super Moderator
5,860 Posts
I have the old red non high end F40 mint in box but with rash. I wonder whether I should sell it and get the new one. Does the new one have the same level of details of the old non high end F40 except the improved rear light position?
I have this same question, with both my 250 GTO and F40. The newer Kyoshos that I have have about the same amount of detailing as the ones released 10-15 years ago, so I'm expecting more or less the same model.

My red Hi-End 250 GTO has a little bit of rash, and I'd rather have the blue seats and two side vents of the first release, even instead of the added detailing, so the choice is obvious. My F40, I love it in yellow and that's also probably why it still has zero paint rash... unless they're rereleasing the yellow too, I'd rather keep it, and if I can find one, swap out the whole rear grill piece with one from any other F40 model that has it right.

Either way, another chance at the Miuras, Countachs, and Testarossa is very good news 😄

· Premium Member
687 Posts
Looking for an Aa now/waiting for them to release a revised version. I love the aggressive stance and the detailed engine, but I'm not a fan of pegs in the fog lights, fitment of the lights or the (very 1980s Italian xD) fitment of the doors.
Yeah, the pegs are disappointing. But here's a chance to get one at a reasonable price. I think AA would be great, but I don't even see it on their upcoming list so who knows when that'll happen.

· Registered
3,949 Posts
Did Kyosho produce a Ferrari 288GTO at any point in the past?
I'm hoping they did, and it that was very good.
Check this out - a black right hand drive version....
i am afraid not. However I suppose they could if they wish to since they already made the fully opening 308/328 series.. a missed opportunity sadly cos I reckon those will sell very well. I guess I could say the same about their 550 GTC as well. They really should made the road going 550 Maranello alongside with the race car no doubt they will be heaps better than UT and HWE me think.

· Registered
346 Posts
I have this same question, with both my 250 GTO and F40. The newer Kyoshos that I have have about the same amount of detailing as the ones released 10-15 years ago, so I'm expecting more or less the same model.
If the picture of the models presented on the catalog correspond to the final products, I see significant improvements (for me) on these 250 GTO, at least on two of them.
The red version has (finally !!!!!!!) the openings behind the rear wheels, drilled.
The n°19 of the 1962 Le Mans has replaced the cavallino of its front grill, by the blue light of recognition, in conformity with this race.
For this reason alone, it's worth taking a very, very close look.
Now, the question I ask myself: has Kyosho solved its huge paint-rash problems? We can't count on them to tell us, since they'll never admit to the previous recurring problem.

· Registered
7,661 Posts
Now, the question I ask myself: has Kyosho solved its huge paint-rash problems? We can't count on them to tell us, since they'll never admit to the previous recurring problem.

We can hope so.
After all, the tooling frames will be the same, it's the metal and the correct mix of materials poured into those moulds that will determine the quality.
And of course updated paint standards to match what the likes of Minichamps use (since there seems to be a link there).

21 - 40 of 66 Posts