DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was stoked to see that Sam's club in my area was finally putting out this year's Maisto/BBurago models. For me, these models are great for creating totally custom projects on the cheap! So what we have here is my custom LaFerrari Spyder that I based on images of the upcoming limited release 1:1. However, I went a different direction with the paintjob (the whole batman black w/red strip thing just didnt do it for me. I went with a smoke Grey metallic (yes, hard to tell from the pics as it almost looks black, but in the sun, you can tell its grey). I also didnt want to do a standard black or red interior so I went with a dove grey shade and applied it to create an "alcanthara look" to the seats. It was actually a fairly easy conversion and the doors will open (but without the upper hinge area, they are wobbly) Anyhow, after I puttied the roof area to create a nice smooth surface and the model was painted, I decided to do the back part of the roof, windshield surround, and skirts on the door/sides with Carbon fiber decals. Lastly, inside got a bit of flocking, extra detail painting, and yellow seat belts (I still need to find a good source for P.E. seatbelt buckles though). On the outside, the toughest part was the vent contraption things that can be seen on the front portion of the doors. I created as close as I could from styrene rectangular tubing that was honed down and shaped to replicate the shape. Other than that, I metalized the brake discs, and painted the calipers yellow...and did a bit of extra detail to the engine bay. out back are P.E badges as well. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks fantastic! Great job! The first photo could've tricked some before the official LaF Aperta press release I'm sure...
Thanks man! I just downloaded a new photo app for my iphone.....hoping to get some crisper shots with it. Model was a fun build, but the door vent things were a pain to make and get close. I really would have liked to have covered them in the same carbon fiber decal but the complex shape was an issue and to really get the decal to set up well requires a heatgun or hair dryer. I was worried about potentially melting the thin styrene. End result is they got painted a satin black.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Stunning work! Even if Burago make it officially, I'm sure it won't be able to compete with yours! Great job!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stunning work! Even if Burago make it officially, I'm sure it won't be able to compete with yours! Great job!
Thanks man!

I am just waiting for the P.E seatbelt buckles I ordered to come...as for the seatbelt material I'm using, it is craft store ribbon (1/8" - 3mm wide and comes in 10yard rolls, so it'll last FOREVER!!!!!). It is almost exactly the width of the crappy plastic belts that come on most cheapo brand models. Bonus is that its available in all sorts of colors, looks just like seat belt material and was .50 cents a roll! I bought black, grey, yellow, red, blue, brown, and green.
The only other thing I would like to do to this model (if I can source some decently scaled but thick enough mesh grill) is replace the front and rear grill areas. I have not had much luck sourcing any places online though.....and the one place I have bought decals, pe emblems and such from on ebay only makes a super thin P.E style sticker mesh grill material that is just too flimsy.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Amazing work! Looks fresh from the factory! Do the doors still open though?
yes, they do still open (lower hinge section still remains). However, I couldnt locate any pics of the real car with its' doors open, I am not sure if my version would be "correct". The only big issue is that there is not any sort of stop on the lower hinge of the original model, so the doors will actually come out if opened too far. Not a biggie to me as I rarely display cars with the doors open anyhow. I am curious to find out if Ferrari has altered the way the doors hinge/open on the real car though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.