DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't going to add this new release from Kyosho to my collection initially ... but when I found one at an Italian car event I was covering at a normal price I just couldn't resist ... and it would allow me to compare this new version to the older ones I already owned.

Let me show you the Lamborghini Countach LP500S finished in bright yellow ... reproduced in 1/18 by Kyosho :

As could be expected, this is a very nice model, highly detailed and finished up to a high level ... there are a few 'issues' with it compared to the real car, but at this time the 1/18 Kyosho version of the Lamborghini Countach LP500S is THE best you can get for the money ... the AutoArt is different, not better, and if you can locate one this AUTOart will cost a lot more than the Kyosho which is now again being produced in both red and yellow ... too bad they didn't put the white over white version back in production, that is the best looking S model anyway ... and many real cars were sold in this color combination back in the Eighties.

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
Lovely pics lambo!

I have the white on white but would LURVE to add the yellow!!!
I have a yellow 5000s by Bburago, and I also have the Kyo LP400 in yellow, but for me the most iconic Countach is the LP500 'au banane' and - as your photos confirm - the Kyo is the best around!!

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
Nice pictures Lambo. I did not know the yellow was available for the LP500, so this was a nice treat. The pop-up headlights are a great touch. I have yet to be disappointed in anything Kyosho has made.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I actually also have the red over black one and the white on white one .. bought them when they came out ... this yellow shade is actually a re-release by Kyosho, it didn't exist at first. I do think they made a black one too once, or was that only AutoArt (I have the AUTOart one)

As a matter of fact I compared the 'old' and the 'new' release to each other here

G

·
It looks fantastic in yellow! I never get tired of seeing photos of this beautiful specimen, it's so iconic! I agree the white seems to fit the Countach the best. I was lucky to score one from scale18 about a year ago for under $75US, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it listed for so cheap! Again nice add!

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have two versions of the Kyosho Lamborghini Countach in my collection, the LP500S in red (as you have) the 5000QV in blue (my personal favourite). I hadn't realised that there was a yellow available - one of my favourite Countach colours, ever since I read the following fascinating article in Autocar back in 1987:

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=364210

Your pictures show off the model very well, and the comparison between this release and the earlier one is excellent. I don't have the AutoArt version, but after reading many reviews, in my view, the AutoArt LP500S has the correct rake on the roof compared to the Kyosho, which appears to incorrectly maintain the LP400 rake. I think Lamborghini did this to increase headroom,

Whatever version you have, it's always been an awesome car and thanks to Kyosho and AutoArt, we collectors can enjoy the shape and details on our desks.

G

·
LP500S in red (as you have) the 5000QV
What are the differences between the two? I just realized I have the 5000QV, is there a need to add the LP500S as they seem to look very similar? TIA!

·
Registered
374 Posts
After getting an LP400 model myself now I know what all the fuss is about. Kyosho did an A job on Countach, congratulations on your add.

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
It looks fantastic in yellow! I never get tired of seeing photos of this beautiful specimen, it's so iconic! I agree the white seems to fit the Countach the best. I was lucky to score one from scale18 about a year ago for under $75US, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it listed for so cheap! Again nice add!
That's a great deal - well done, that's 2/3 what I paid for mine without the postage, and that was about 3 years ago now.......

G

·
That's a great deal - well done, that's 2/3 what I paid for mine without the postage, and that was about 3 years ago now.......

[/quote]

I almost fell off my seat when I saw it listed on the website... I hit the trigger/buy button faster than any before me

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
wonderfull model!! just the right colour lambo .... very nice shoot!!! but this is the 5000 so forgot a zero?

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
wonderfull model!! just the right colour lambo .... very nice shoot!!! but this is the 5000 so forgot a zero?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the extra '0' was added for the US market??

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is no LP5000S model of the Countach ... the official factory denomination was Countach LP500 S, I know AutoArt put LP5000S on their box, and there is '5000' at the rear of this car, but the factory never called it the LP5000S ... I have the official factory folder of this model and also in the 'Catalogue Raisonnée' by Stefano Pasini it is called LP500 S.
There is actually an LP5000 ... this is the yellow prototype with the experimental 5-Liter V12 engine ... but once put into production a 4-Liter engine was fitted, hence the LP400 name.

I don't know if it was called LP5000 S in the US actually, the Pete Lyons 'The complete book of Lamborghini' also calls it the Countach LP500 S but he does mention this model was sometimes called '5000 S' without the LP prefix ... you've got to love those Italians right ?

·
John
586 Posts
Great photos as always, I will be adding this one for sure. Do they still have that problem with the plastic not matching the metal when painted yellow? From your photos I can't tell. Regardless I'll still get one.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was wondering if I dreamt it or not, but you confirmed that Kyosho actually also made a black LP500 S back in the days ... I don't have that one in my collection ... made it up with the black AutoArt version, just love that white interior with the red piping.

As for the paint ... I have to admit the yellow does look different on some plastic parts, and on the inside of the door there isn't a lot paint to be honest ... I guess yellow is still a difficult shade to apply, especially in 1/18 scale, I also have the LP400 in yellow, and as there aren't many yellow plastic parts on that one it looks better overall.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts