DiecastXchange Forum banner
341 - 360 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about the headlights, I suspect these will be corrected.
My concern is the front wheels, they look wrong - too large diameter, tyres too low profile.
The shape of the body looks good though, and would be impossible to correct at this stage.
I wonder if they will also produce the prototype with the triple wipers and additional spotlights?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Uhm, I don't know.
Here:
-model
-actual car (rebuilt - remember that the car was totally rebuilt, we talked about this some time ago)
-original car (2x)

Front wheels don't look so terrible in my opinion, compared to original car. But on the rebuilt one they are different.
The rear ones look worse: totally different (bigger, fatter) than the original one, and even than the actual car.

As result, the model shows a huge rake angle, not existing on the real cars.

Maybe different setup for track and hillclimb stages?
Hard to say.

I worry about lights because any model doesn't look good with bad lights, but maybe does with different wheels!

Here wheels size (15") as declared by Volta, that rebuilt the car.
http://www.voltaraci.../abarth-031.htm

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #344 ·
Hopefully Laudo will correct these issues.
When I said don't worry about the lights I meant they are easily corrected.
This is a prototype after all.
I wonder if I should try contacting them again about suggestions.
When I complained about the shape of the 128 they were very unhappy, although I said it was less accurate than my €30 Quattroruote so that may not have gone down too well.

I still don't think much of the 128, I would like to get a model, but not theirs.
Perhaps you could try letting them know of your concerns - I think I would be correct in saying you speak Italian?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Perhaps you could try letting them know of your concerns - I think I would be correct in saying you speak Italian?
Yes of course.
I'm not sure they are from Italy (it seems to be a french company), but they write in italian on FB, so...
Anything you want me to tell them?
Front and rear wheels, rake, headlights, anything else?

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #346 ·
No Kasparek, I think that about covers it.
Looking on the website, there are going to be three versions, all from the same event.
I think they missed a trick, the prototype with the three wipers and spotlights would have tempted me for a second model.
As far I can tell, the car was never used again in Europe before ending up in the US.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Looking on the website, there are going to be three versions, all from the same event.
I think this car raced only in this event, basicly as an experiment.
I read it wasn't even compliant with normal race regulations, so it couldn't race in other competitions.

Anyway, I wrote them, I hope they'll be happy about these constructive suggestions.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Hmm, not sure that there was a hot version like a Ti or something, but I’m pretty sure that a 2.0 version was offered. Think that’s as hot as the Berlina got.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Haha, may I ask you why you are so interested in these normal, old cars from Italy?

They showed something also about Fiat Croma and, incredible, Alfa Arna.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
It's a good question :)

My dad is Italian. All of his friends had Alfas, Fiat, Lancia. So I got hooked on cars as a kid.

One year, the Italian car company he worked for offered him a Ritmo/Strada here in the U.K. and he received a brochure for it. The brochure showed the car's design process, the testing of the car, the factory, the robots making it etc etc as well as all the different versions. Although I already liked cars, that brochure kinda opened my eyes not just to the end product (the car), but I guess every (or many) elements that come together to make the car. I had never really seen or thought about this before. In a way - remember, I was only a kid - the brochure associated with that car really expanded my awareness of the automotive industry. It made me quite excited and intrigued about the industry behind the product. That's one thing.

Maybe the Ritmo wasn't the 'best' car - I accept that :) but it was intriguing from a design, materials and manufacturing perspective. Of course, it was very avant garde when it came out (looks wise), but like all fashionista stuff, it dated quickly. Today, I think it looks very cool. There are many different ways to appreciate a car, even one that isn't necessarily the best :) Also... while I like super nice cars like Ferrari etc, sometimes we overlook the more 'humble' cars and their significant to either the manufacturer or the automotive industry. Their 'humble' stories should be told, too. Well, I like to hear them :)

Hopefully that answers your question as to why I like the Ritmo :)

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Those unique wheels!
I remember the advertisement with the robots building the cars.
And the Not the nine o clock news skit with the Allegro being built by 'Roberts' (or 'Bob').
Oddly enough, there seems to be little interest in preserving them in the way that other 'plain Jane' cars of the era are treasured.....

Incidentally, I took the plunge and ordered one of the 031 models.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
The wheels are interesting for sure :) Renault had something similar with the 18 and Fuego, also very nice wheels.

I think the robots were called Robogate, and I think it was Europe's first large scale automated car production facility at the time. So interesting that it was a pioneer on that front. Also, the workers were worried the robots would take their jobs; so you now you have an interesting kind of industrial relation challenge to address. Like I said... in some cases, it's not just the car that's of interest but the whole story. The Alfasud also has an interesting story, and I see Laudo had announced that, too :)

Do you know when you will receive the 031? Is just on pre order at the moment?

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #360 ·
031 is described as

'This product is not yet available
The availability date indicated below may be changed without notice'.

Nothing new there!

I don't see anything about the Alfasud.
I have the 5 door and 3 door versions in 1/24th scale, and the Disco Volante.
Excellent models for the scale.

341 - 360 of 395 Posts