DiecastXchange Forum banner
401 - 420 of 425 Posts

· Registered
3,623 Posts
A real niche car.. the last large one from Fiat I think.
Probably not competitive with german ones, but 70s really killed italian ones.

I don't like it very much, but for sure its design is interesting and innovative.
130 coupè is just a few years younger than Dino (I think it deserves a good model!), but it looks from a total different era.
It’s a bit before my time, so I don’t know too much about them. I think Fiat made the 130 saloon to show it could make a car as good as a Mercedes or BMW; but of course the Fiat badge was not as prestigious, so even though the 130 was a good effort, it must be difficult to convince someone to buy it instead of a BMW or Mercedes.

I like the 130 coupe’s shape; it relies on nice proportions and large areas without decoration; may be to some eyes it can look a bit plain, but I like those vast expanses of… nothingness :) I need to see a few more pics of the 1:18 to see whether I am happy with the shape or not.

· Registered
700 Posts
It’s a bit before my time, so I don’t know too much about them.
Me too..

I think Fiat made the 130 saloon to show it could make a car as good as a Mercedes or BMW; but of course the Fiat badge was not as prestigious, so even though the 130 was a good effort, it must be difficult to convince someone to buy it instead of a BMW or Mercedes.
Yes, but I think there is something to add.
If you look models from those decades (after WWII), you'll see that basicly Audi didn't exist until 70s, and Bmw itself started again only with Neue Klass in 60s, and 02 series in late 60s.
So in 50s and 60s only Mercedes was really "existing".

For sure Fiat has never been at Mercedes levels, but in 50s and 60s it made good models like 1400/1900 and 1500/2300 (these last ones all 6 cylinders).
I think that these 2 series were competitive (indeed they sold not a few of them).
For example a 2300, especially the coupè but also the saloon, was in my opinion not bad at all even in "large cars" market, of course without being a Mercedes, a Jaguar, a Lancia or an Alfa.

I think this good period for Fiat in large cars ended with the Dino (it sold more than 130 coupè, in less years).
Then, from 130 generation (so end 60s - begin 70s), all italian makers did worse than before (for many reasons), and german producers made a big jump.
Don't forget also what VW group has been until 70s (and Golf).. Beetle (pre war project) and not much more.

Long story short: I think 130 (and many other italian cars) were not competitive with german cars (I would have never bought one), while previous series were (a 2300? why not).

· Registered
3,623 Posts
Me too..

Yes, but I think there is something to add.
If you look models from those decades (after WWII), you'll see that basicly Audi didn't exist until 70s, and Bmw itself started again only with Neue Klass in 60s, and 02 series in late 60s.
So in 50s and 60s only Mercedes was really "existing".

For sure Fiat has never been at Mercedes levels, but in 50s and 60s it made good models like 1400/1900 and 1500/2300 (these last ones all 6 cylinders).
I think that these 2 series were competitive (indeed they sold not a few of them).
For example a 2300, especially the coupè but also the saloon, was in my opinion not bad at all even in "large cars" market, of course without being a Mercedes, a Jaguar, a Lancia or an Alfa.

I think this good period for Fiat in large cars ended with the Dino (it sold more than 130 coupè, in less years).
Then, from 130 generation (so end 60s - begin 70s), all italian makers did worse than before (for many reasons), and german producers made a big jump.
Don't forget also what VW group has been until 70s (and Golf).. Beetle (pre war project) and not much more.

Long story short: I think 130 (and many other italian cars) were not competitive with german cars (I would have never bought one), while previous series were (a 2300? why not).
Those are all very valid and interesting points. I can’t say for sure, but maybe in the 60s the German car companies saw the global opportunity. Possibly, Fiat was too focused on the local market rather than the global one (I am only guessing here :)) and of course there were many problems with strikes at factories which had an impact on quality; one of the things that the Germans focused on as their strength. It’s a fascinating subject for sure… but at least we got many lovely cars from those times(y)

· Registered
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
if that works... my first wish shall be a wish multiplier 😁 and no fine print please!

Ah yes, the same answer I was going to give!
'For my third wish, I wish for three more wishes'.
As for fine print - if you have the time try to get a viewing of the 1967 film 'Bedazzled'.
It's all in there - even if the film is showing it's age.

· Registered
3,949 Posts
if that works... my first wish shall be a wish multiplier 😁 and no fine print please!

Ah yes, the same answer I was going to give!
'For my third wish, I wish for three more wishes'.
As for fine print - if you have the time try to get a viewing of the 1967 film 'Bedazzled'.
It's all in there - even if the film is showing it's age.
I only managed to watch the Bedazzled with Elizabeth Hurley in it which I believe that was a remake? But the scene where the Devil sped past the hospital while honking loudly in the Lambo Diablo was absolute treat for me. Very fitting for the she Devil to drive a Diablo, both equally sizzlingly hot LOL.

Oi! Don’t push your luck, gents :D
Yes sir.. will try to be on my best behaviour when the genie shows up LOL

· Registered
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #414 ·
I only managed to watch the Bedazzled with Elizabeth Hurley in it which I believe that was a remake?

I was talking about the original with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore.
I'm not a fan of remakes, very rarely do they match the original - especially when the question of acceptable behaviour is involved.
Most modern efforts tend to have to stick with the codes of today, often missing the subtleties of the original.
Two that spring to mind are 'The Italian Job' and 'The Ladykillers'.
It's also great fun to enjoy seeing all of those cars that are today listed as 'classics......

· Registered
3,949 Posts
I only managed to watch the Bedazzled with Elizabeth Hurley in it which I believe that was a remake?

I was talking about the original with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore.
I'm not a fan of remakes, very rarely do they match the original - especially when the question of acceptable behaviour is involved.
Most modern efforts tend to have to stick with the codes of today, often missing the subtleties of the original.
Two that spring to mind are 'The Italian Job' and 'The Ladykillers'.
It's also great fun to enjoy seeing all of those cars that are today listed as 'classics......
Thanks mate for the link. The short clip looks good I'll be keeping an eye out for this classic. I too not a fan of remakes normally. I love the original "The Italian Job" but I refused to watch the remake despite many praised the awesome car stunt and chase scenes. I was unfortunate to be exposed to the remake of "Get Carter" before I got the chance to watch Michael Caine's awesome original.

· Administrator
35,239 Posts
I wonder if they will make a Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo ? I'd quite like one of those! I heard that they did, but I have never seen one of theirs, just two by OttO Mobile in Broom Yellow and Sprint Blue.

· Registered
3,623 Posts
If you missed AutoArt’s 33 Stradale, then Laudo’s sealed one is due next month. It will be available in three versions; this prototype, plus the more familiar one with gold wheels and the distinctive black vents by the wheels. Not sure how the third derivative differs. Will have to wait until next month to see :)

Vehicle Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light

401 - 420 of 425 Posts