DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
a brief history of the events
Despite the fact that no solution was found to fix the unstability of the car, three 917s entered Le Mans. Two where Porsche team and the third was entered by the gentleman-driver John Woolfe. The Ahrens/Stommelen 917 qualified on pole.

Matra entered four cars: a new 650 roadster, a 630 coupe and two 630/650.

Ferrari made his come-back with the 3-liter 312.

Before the race Jackie Ickx had expressed to journalists that he considered the start procedure unsafe as it was not possible to fasten the seat belts properly. When the start was given, he slowly walked across the track to his GT-40 instead of running, then entered his car and locked the safety belt carefully before starting last.

Soon after the start the poor handling of the 917 and the inexperience of the driver resulted in a drama : John Woolfe had a fatal accident at the Maison Blanche with his private 917. He had not taken time to belt himself in, proving that Ickx was right.

Woolfe's crash had dislodged the gas tank from car. The burning tank was thrown onto the road where Amon's Ferrari 312 hit it. After an interruption the race was restarted. The 2 official 917s were put out of the race by clutch bell housing problems.

In a dramatic finish, Ickx managed to beat Hans Herrmann by a few seconds, as the Porsche 908 had brake problems.

The Ford GT40 was one of the most distinctive sports cars of all time. It was built to win long-distance sports car races, notably the Le Mans 24 Hour Race against Ferrari (who had won four in a row 1958-62). Henry Ford II wanted a Ford at Le Mans since the early 1960s. Initially there was an attempt to buy Ferrari, but after they backed away in 1963 Ford decided to produce its own car. To this end, Ford established a small subsidiary, Ford Advanced Vehicles in Slough (England), working closely with the Lola company who had used Ford engines to great effect in racing. The resulting car was the GT40 (so named because its overall height was 40 inches) first produced in April 1964 and at Le Mans GT40s won four times straight from 1966 to 1969.
The original GT40 first raced at Le Mans in 1964 and was not very successful with all three cars retiring, but the experience gained then and in 1965 allowed the Mark II to dominate the race in 1966 with a 1-2-3 finish. The Mark IV won the following year (when four Mark IVs three Mark IIs and three Mark Is raced) and after a rules change re-engined Mark Is won the race in 1968 and 1969. Rule changes again in 1970 rendered the car obsolete.

The Mark III was a road-car only, of which 7 were built.

Jackie Ickx and Jackie Oliver won with the GT40 chassis 1075, the same car that had won the previous year, this was second time the same car had won two in a row; a Bentley Speed Six had done it in 1929 and 1930

they covered 372 laps and covered 4998 kms
anyway...here is car #6

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

in case tou were wonering if the GT40 had grooved discs...no, they are dust covers for the smooth vented discs.a separate cover on the model also

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

hope you enjoyed looking at the car. :cheers
another big thank you to Felix for his invaluable help :rock

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Your pics just keep getting better and better, Stevie!

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Great write up and an AWESOME car!
I think owning a diggie is agreeing with you, you have my picture beat already and you have only been taking them for a week! :cheers

Still trying to stand firm against 1:12's but you are not making it easy with posts like this :kick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the :coolpics stevie. I like that engine and interior :hot
:cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks Leslie
thanks Eddie.....i'm glad you liked them.
just got to get me some re-chargable batteries now :giggle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GMP did a great job on this one
i have this one right above my pc screen :cheers

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Stevie, great photos of a great model of a truly great (historically) car! Realistically, the car was obsolete by 1966 and the change of rules breathed new life into what was a very well proven reliable chassis and powertrain; and of course strategy, driver and team ability, and simple luck had a lot to do with it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
This is a very good model and my only significant disappointment is the fact that those orange circles on the outside of both the front and rear fenders are supposed to be side marker lights that were unique to the Gulf team. I can't understand why a company so well respected as GMP would do this cheap trick on an expensive model (same as a certain Porsche model)! :pullhair

Jeff; as a further temptation to the bank-account-breaking world of 1/12, the GMP black #2 1966 Le Mans winning MK II can often be gotten on ebay for less than $300. :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stevie those pics are realy awesome mate, also a awesome model too.. :coolpics :cheers ..

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
One little bit of historical trivia is that this car, chassis P/1075, is believed to have started life as Mirage chassis M10003. This car crashed heavily in practice at Nurburgring in '67 and was rebuilt by JWA.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.