DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many cool cars that I would love to see in quality 1/18th scale! I search and search but always come up empty or am told " they USED to make that" or "we have no plans to make that at this time". :dizzy

Does anyone have any information why there is no Ferrari 512M or 512S and 312 in 1/18th scale? I have seen them in smaller scales of which I am not interested. Have any of you made any attempts to contact either AutoArt or MiniChamps to find out why they never released these cars in 1/18th? :question

I would like to suggest that all of us who have dreams of having these models and others start a campaign to let the companies know just what we, their consumer want and not what they think we would like to see.

What do ya say? You all with me??? :cheers

Zuff

·
Registered
203 Posts
No chance you'll get any of them from Minichamps or Autoart due to the licensing problem with Mattel.

The only way they will get produced is if Mattel does them, Mattel sublicenses them to Kyosho, or a high end manufacturer like BBR produce them.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome aboard Zuff! I'd be right behind you in wishing for just about every classic Ferrari that has not yet been made, but as Richard said above the reason we haven't seen too many of them is due to licensing issues. :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AHA! Now it makes sense.

Ok, so we need to petition MATTEL then! Enough of the Barbie, make more DIECAST!

Zuff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi guys if i had to write to the likes of auto art i would be telling the to pic up there act and put more detail in there models , im sick of paying $170.00 + and you dont eve get a spark plug wire and or no plumbing.
as far as the amount of models i cant keep up as it is .cheers barry.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The 512s and M are so fantastic they deserve to be done really well. Shame about the licensing ussues - Considering how poor the mattel 333sp was (also a great car) it would be shame if they were done in a less than spectacular manner (and by doing this, lessening the incentive for others companies to produce this car.)

In general I wish we would see a whole slew of new racecars from the autoart siginature line or some new equivelant which seems to me the best balance of detail and quality for the price...The cost of exotos and bbr's being slighlty excessive and getting more so...

I would pay just about anything for a 1/18 512 or 312PB though... :tease

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Not that contacting Mattel is going to change things for the better, but does anyone know if there is even a company website about the 1:18's(regular/Elite's)? I can't find anything on them :confused

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
The only thing stopping me bombarding ERTL with e-mails saying "Make the V8 Vantage from The Living Daylights" is the fact I know they're too lazy to do it. They'd only do it if someone else made a v8 mould that they could "borrow."

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I could not disagree with you more! :idisagree Ertl is a lot of thing, but "lazy" is not one of them. :dizzy
They are one of the most prolific manufacturers out there, and to be honest, I find it odd that they would make the AM since their core customer probably won't buy more the the 007 version and they could not get mileage from re-paints.

BTW, Ertl has announce that they are making the Vantage, it is Ertl product #33858 :kick

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I've checked the product code and that seems to be the DBS, not the Vantage. They just nicked that from the Solidio DB9 mould, the DB5 was from the old AUTOart DB5 and the Vanquish was from The Beanstalk group. They won't make a Bond car unless someone else has already done most of the work for them!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Superleggra

Are you trying to say that Ertl has produced these cars by using the AUTOart , Solido and Beanstalk moulds , or are you saying Ertl have made these cars because other manufacturers have done so before them ?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
b) Ertl have made these cars because other manufacturers have done so before them.

They have not made a single Bond car that moulds didn't previously exist for. Therefore if a mould doesn't exist for the V8 chances are they won't make a model of it. Sorry if I'm making this too confusing :dizzy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Technically you are wrong .

Ertl have done the Mustang that he drove in Diamonds are forever (James Bond drives Tiffany Case's Ford Mustang Mach 1 after leaving Willard Whyte's tectronics facility in the desert) and also a C4 Corvette as driven by Pola Ivanova in the 007 movie "A View To A Kill"

Neither have been done by anyone else .

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
:iagree And the white Lotus, is not the AUTOart mold, not by a long shot!
Superleggera, you better check your facts before you type! Are your comments oppinions or facts? :feedback

If they are oppinions, I can live with it, but if you are representing them as facts, I would like to know where you got them.
You said you checked the Ertl number! May I ask where? :help

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Sorry if this is getting confusing, I think I'll need to lie down in a darkened room after this. I was under the impression that ERTL got their body shells from moulds from other companies and the did details like lights, tyres, interior e.t.c. themselves. So it could have been the Autoart DB5 large metal body, detail by ERTL I'm sure I read this around the time the ERTL DB5 came out on another diecast forum (so long ago I couldn't tell you which one unfortunately) and thus assumed the same happened with the Esprit. It appears however that I am very wrong and would like to apologise for taking so much of your valuable time.

In reference to the ERTL item number, I googled "1/18 ERTL #33858" or something along those lines and all the results that came up were sellers listing the DBS. It could just be one crazy coincidence however.

I hope that covers everything. Once again, sorry. Once again, darkened room, sleep.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.