DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During 1970, factory development engineer, Bob Wallace, was given the go ahead by Paolo Stanzani to construct a Miura-based hot rod more or less from scratch. Intended to illustrate just how far the concept could be taken, the solitary prototype would also be used to evaluate new suspension, mechanical and aerodynamic ideas. Built around chassis 5084, the project was undertaken much like the original Miura programme had begun six years earlier, Wallace and a select team working on the car as a factory sanctioned (and funded) spare time project.

Known as the P400 Jota in reference to the FIA's Appendix J regulations it was built to comply with, 5084 became the most infamous of Wallace's experimental creations and its chequered history part of Lamborghini folklore. The extensively uprated specification included a narrower backbone chassis, enlarged side members and Avionel outer panels for the doors, bonnet and rear bodywork. There were steel inner panels with a pair of 60-litre fuel tanks. Bizzarrini's V12 engine retained the 82 x 62mm bore and stroke dimensions and like all production Miura motors, capacity remained unchanged at 3929cc. Output jumped to 440bhp at 8500rpm thanks to a compression ratio of 11.5:1, hot camshafts and four huge triple choke Weber 46 IDL carbs, two of which were reversed to lessen fuel surge. Dry sump lubrication was used, pre-dating its arrival on the SV by over a year while a free-flow competition exhaust featured four megaphone outlets. Huge 9x15 and 12x15 Campagnolo cast-magnesium wheels were fitted front and rear and shod with Dunlop racing tyres. Ride-height was dropped thanks to completely reworked suspension geometry. The Jota's interior was to full competition specification with a new dash, seats, an integral roll cage and sliding plastic side windows. Upon completion, 5084 weighed in at just 880kg and could reputedly hit 185mph and sprint from 0-60 in under four seconds. After completing around 20,000km of test mileage, it was sold to an Italian playboy in Milan.

P400 Jota chassis 5084
He sold it just a few months later to Dr Alfredo Belponer, owner and president of the Scuderia Brescia Corse racing team. However, before Belponer was able to take delivery, chassis 5084 was completely destroyed when it crashed, rolled and caught fire after going off the brand new and still unopened Brescia ring road in April 1971. Many important customers had seen it around the factory though and inevitably began asking for one. Although Lamborghini couldn't justify the investment in manpower and never obliged, they did build five very special Miura SV/J's...

write up from QV 500.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

a wonderful effort by Kyosho of a gorgeous car.
pixie dust .....Mr Tam :nicejob

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Excellent, Stevie!

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Yeah baby!!! .......

......the Jota is one h3ll of a car!!!! I got it in black and I gotta say that Kyosho has captured well the essence of that car!

Thanks for the write-up! :cheers

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
That's a gorgeous car. I love it in that blue. I can't help thinking the wing sort of spoils the lines of the car, but I much prefer the headlights to the 'fish-eye' jobs on the original Miura.

It's scary to think of the huge number of models that exist that I've never even thought about when composing wish lists, yet on seeing them I still think "I'd like one of those". My wish list is infinite really I think!!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
This is one of the favorites of my collection and rivals the AUTOart Jag XJ13 in detail and craftmanship in that price range. A truly beatiful model, thanks Stevie! :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks all, i'm glad you like it as much as i do :hot
got to get the red though....

Dave your list is probably the same as a lot of us......infinite :giggle

·
Registered
33 Posts
Very nice car Stevie. I hope Kyosho releases more colour variations. I have the earlier releases of this SVR by Kyosho, one black and one red, without the Jota script on the wing end plates. Both were pretty cheap, about $35, when they were commonly available, about 2 yrs ago. Now I see they're going for double that or more. The black is really amazing in the flesh. Kyosho did an outstanding job on the black paint. It's glass smooth and miles deep. You'd have to get a multi-thousand dollar hand rubbed paint job on a real car to match what Kyosho achieved on the black Jota SVR. Not saying the red isn't gorgeous either, but the black is just stunning.

The wing on the roof is the also least liked feature for me. I've actually thought about doing a wing-ectomy; if I had bought a spare one I'd probably have given it a try by now. Unfortunately, when I first examined it, the wing uprights appeared to be molded into the rear window cover incorporating the slats as well, meaning finding some way to remove the cover so it can be refinished. I didn't like the wing but that was a bit more work than I was prepared for, especially if it meant risking damage to the gorgeous paint finish and/or the rear window underneath. I've also tried to remove the rear engine cover. No easy way to do it. The only way to access the hinge screws is to remove the fine grilles in the lower rear fenders, and they're firmly glued in. I have to say that Kyosho certainly does not make their cars easy to disassemble.

DYW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So there are 3 colours? purple, red and black? Which one is the lastest release?

·
Registered
126 Posts
The purple is out now.

Anyone know the difference between the original release red (black wing tips) and the re-release red (red wing tips) other than the tips of the spoiler?

Is it a different shade of red? Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.