DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made myself a new lighttent, almost identical to LUW's (this was the best and most practical tent I've seen) and took a picture of a random car...

Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Car Automotive lighting

What do you think ? Still too much light on the front? I use 2 halogen 150 watt spots (front left and front right )...perhaps this is a little too bright...or should I use 3 normal 60 or 75 Watt lightbulbs ?...or do I have to use a thicker cloth ?

:feedback

BTW...Luc, thank you very much for the design of the tent.... :rock

Attachments

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Great job Gunther! :nicejob
I told you, that thing is a breeze to make and being dismantable makes it perfect. I'm happy you liked it! :cheers
But about the light, I would use something a little less bright, specially if you're using a white background. Very probably if you used the same lighting setup for that car but with a dark bg it wouldn't look too bright.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
See? Just the bg change made the ligt softer on the left, but now the right side is kind of dark, so you'll have to compensate here. That's why the best thing to use is small lamps, that you can move around with ease.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Gunther, I think I prefer the first picture. I don't know how easy it would be for you but you may find that you can reduce the brightness and glare just by moving the lamps a little further away, so that the light is more diffused before it even hits the tent. Just a thought but it works for me although not with the exact same lighting.

G

·
Nice!

Have you tried moving the two lamps from the front left and right positions to exactly left and right? Like have the lamps point at each other from the sides, and as suggested above, try moving the lamp back a bit for better diffusion. Otherwise, looks like you're on the right track!

Also, what kind of camera are you using? Maybe you can try different exposures to get the right balance of darkness/brightness... it's tricky to make a white bg actually look white but keeping the car properly exposed, but if you have this option in your camera it may help.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Thanks Dave...right now my whole setup is standing in a corner of the room...I'm going to take it ou of there so I will have a little more space for the spots....

Eddwin, I'm using a Canon S50 Powershot on manual on a 1/60 and a F5.0, Iso 400...I will have some spare time this weekend, so I'll try a different setting....
Thanks ! :cheers

·
Registered
760 Posts
Less lights. Lower wattage. Reflect the light off of white paper (or something white) rather than shinning light directly at the model. Longer exposure. Works best if the rest of the room is dark.

Try it out in "P" mode and see how the picture looks and what exposure and F stop it gives you. Most likely you'll have to raise those numbers to get something well light (~1+ exposure), but it should give you a decent starting point. Darker cars are usually harder to get right, so maybe start out with a silver car and once you get it down work with a darker colored car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.