DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Ikea a few day ago do get some more display stuff and they hiked the price of the $5 glass shelves to $10! :pullhair I needed 28 of them so I had to spend close to $300 instead of the half of that.

And now the kicker, I had bought 4 Billy back when thay were on the July sale but I had not put them together. I took them out this weekend and put the together. I had a wall with 5 of them and I got the OK(from the boss/wife :giggle ) to put a 6th one, but the new ones are about 1/2" taller! :pullhair None of the shelves line up with the rest.

On the plus side, I was able to get 18 shelves per case and put most of the glass door on.

Here is how they look.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Could you trim a bit off the bottom?

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Q1, Yes I will swap it with one at the other end and seen if the doors will cover the difference
Q2, Yes, they are sitting on carpet, but it should not make that big of a difference.
Q3, No, I do not have the proper tools to cut the bottom, but the would make the difference and to be honest, I shouldn't have to.

I found out that one of the four that I bought in July is only 1/4" taller so I will be swapping that one. But it is still a pain the ... to move all the models.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well it is IKEA- they arent known for making the most precise furniture out there.

Look at the Billy as simple storage- ya get what ya pay for ($79 for the whole unit?)

G

·
My 5 years old Billy shelves match up perfectly with the two I bought two weeks ago. However I have a different problem: mismatched colors. They are both the same color (oak veneer), actually I would have bought Beech, if i don't have to match with the oak veneer shelves that I have already had. But somehow they don't quite match! :pullhair

G

·
For future refrence you can go to your local glass shop and have them cut and polish the glass you need for pennies on the dollar... :happy

Thats what I always do for glass I need for pictures or shelves

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I did check with the glass shops here and the lowest quote I got on the same safety/tempered glass was $12 each. Still not enough to beat the $10 at Ikea.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another reason to be mad 6 years later! The "beech" color does not match to the one they sold 6 years ago!

Also, they no longer sell the Billy in Beech, so I bought a black one since I am going to fill it with dioramas. When I got it home, one of the sides was smashed and broken in 6 pieces. The box, as flimsy as it is, was fine. So I had to trek back the next day to have it replaced (60+ mile round trip).

Second trip, Third reason. I bought some shelves to put over the TV module and I asked to make sure I had all I needed to hang it. The guy that helped me did not tell me that I needed two bracket to hang it so I only bought one. So I had to go back the next day!

Third trip, Fourth reason. The Billy glass shelf area was empty, but the kiosk computer said they had 160 of the on hand. I asked a yellow shit and she said she would get the 10 I wanted. She comes back about 20 minutes later to tell me that they could not bring them down till next day. Sorry but I am not going back a fourth time in one week!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.